Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Food Plots in Monroe County

I'm in the process of moving to Monroe County from southern Delaware. I have 90 acres of woods (some swamp) There are 2 cleared areas. One is about 4 acres the other about 1/2 an acre. I have several questions about food plotting (i'm too late for this year as I won't be able to get the tractor up here for several more weeks). First, I already have a 60" JD tiller (I run it on a JD 4066). Is the ground generally too rocky in western Monroe County to use the tiller or should I only plan on disking it? I'm considering an all in one seeder (woods PSS series , Firminator etc) but really don't want to spend the money, are there any local co-ops I might be able to join to share implements? Along the same lines, what is the best local source for used equipment. I use Craigslist but wondered if there was a dealer with a good used selection (I know most will deal in larger farm equipment) Finally, is there a "go to" gunsmith in Monroe County (or close)? Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Food Plots in Monroe County

Pa is nothing but rocks and clay regardless of where you live. I don't see it being a big issue. Most food plots require hardly more than soil contact. I would think as long as you start shallow and take your time you'll be fine. Yes there will be a lot of rocks, slate, etc.

(Berks County)

If you have the time I'd recommend chasing the auction scene for your best deals. Check the equipment out well and know your prices but there are always auctions where that stuff is being sold. Sometimes you get a steal, sometimes you get a fair deal and sometimes the stuff goes for more than it's worth but it's out there. What are you planting? Around me they no longer plow to plant corn and soy beans, they just disc it and throw it in the ground, it seems that all those years of plowing first was all for naught.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the responses. I know that auctions are a hit and miss proposition. i've seen stuff go for a steal and others you just shake your head. Went to an auction of an outdoor store closing on the eastern shore in MD. Used mossberg shotguns were bringing more than new rem 870s. Go figure. Thanks again.