Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Vortex Viper rmr potential problem

This is my first venture into the world of rigidized miniature reticle optics. I got impatient and installed a brand new vortex Viper on a 9 mm pistol but noticed when I really screw it down to the plate tight it somehow makes the battery lose contact. About 1/8 of a turn to loosen the two screws up and the red dot comes back on. The manual says nothing about a torque ratio so it leaves me wondering. It seems I would want the screws as tight as possible, without overtorquing, for proper installation. Has anyone ever heard of this dilemma?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Chester County)

Default Re: Vortex Viper rmr potential problem

if you can return it, Primary Arms has Burris FastFire IIs for $135 shipped.

Call Vortex they have excellent customer service. I have the Venom which has a top loading battery tray and used blue lock tight on the plate and RDS.using the supplied Allen key is how you will get the proper torque spec once you get some flex in the tool.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 3rd, 2018 at 08:18 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I’m just responding to my own post for educational purposes for others who may come across this problem.
    The Viper loads the battery from the bottom and it has no cover so the actual mounting plate in essence becomes such. I called customer service they told me many plates are not coated sufficiently and the metal shorts out the system temporarily. The remedy is simply one layer of electrical tape on the mounting plate where it contacts the battery.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Vortex also doesn't ship their dots with the right screws (at least for Glocks). You must call Vortex and they will send them to you, which makes no sense to me.

I am normally a Vortex fan, but not shipping proper screws for your own product is just plain dumb.