Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Nonresident; transport to/from rifle range (state game lands)

As an out of state resident (NJ), the PA law appears to allow me to carry my unloaded rifle to a state game land rifle range for target practice. I don't know how I could "prove" that I am going/returning from the range if asked by an officer. Would a License to Carry Firearms permit cover this gray area? I ask this because I have family in Lebanon/Dauphin County, and would like to go target shooting with them on visits to the area, as well as closer to home in Bucks County.

(Bucks County)

Carry gun and ammo seperately. No loaded magazines. Drive as you should, and you're not likely to be stopped. If you are, and the officer asks if you have any firearms, you'd then explain what you have and where you're going to/from. There's really no way to "prove" such a thing, as far as I know. Except of course maybe having some shot up targets afterwards... We here in PA aren't under communist rule like you are in NJ. I'm sure someone else can/will post appropriate links if necessary.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

Default Simple solution

Next time your in PA, why not apply for a non resident permit? http://www.packing.org/state/pennsylvania/
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

On a related note, it's great that PA allows New Jerseyans more right-to-carry as a non-resident than they have in their home state.

Just one of the reasons why I moved from the PRNJ.

(York County)

Talking Prnj

i'm jealous...i can't even go out in my own backyard with my air rifle for target practice...you think for $5400 in property taxes i could do some plinkin'...

(Allegheny County)

i'm pretty sure you can carry an unloaded rifle in your car to anywhere you want. i think the "only to and from the range, etc." think only applies to handguns.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA CS Title 18 Chapter 61 Subchapter A &#167 View Post
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    1. Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    2. Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.
    3. The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.
    4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    5. Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
    6. Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.
    7. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.
    8. Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.
    9. Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    10. Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    You are absolutely legal to carry an unloaded rifle in a container directly to and from a range in PA proving it is another question however here's some advice.

Before you leave, call the range and say something along the lines of "Hi, my name is rev214 and I'm going to head out to your range today, could you tell me your hours today?" This way if you are stopped going to or from the range by a particually terrible police officer you can prove you intended to go to the range. Additionally on the way home it couldn't hurt to bring your targets and receipts with you.

Additionally bear in mind Pennsylvania's definition of "loaded":

A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

Best bet, keep your ammo in their boxes, put them in a container. Put your rifle in another case. Do not pre-load your magazines. Drive STRAIGHT to and from the range making NO stops.

Most importantly, get a PA non-resident permit, or even better move here. We love helping people break out of the Bloc.
    Last edited by danp; June 20th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(York County)

Default great info

thanks, dan, for all of the details...i'd like to move as well...i guess (from reading another post) that if i do apply for a non-resident permit Centre County sounds like the best contact?

(Allegheny County)

Also bear in mind PA's legal definition of "firearm" which excludes most rifles and shotguns.

Section 6102..."Firearm: Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barel length of less than 16 inches, or any pistol, rifle, revolver, or shotgun wiht an overall legnth of less than 26 inches..."

the whole "firearms not to be carried without a license" section (which includes the part about only being able to carry to and from the range, etc. without a license) applies only to firearms that fit this legal definition of a "firearm"...most rifles are too long to fit this definition.

however, the rifle does have to be unloaded as per section 6106.1 "Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms" which says:

"Except as provided in Title 34 (related to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun, or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in Section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle."

(yes, most rifles are, in the context of this statute, a "weapon other than a firearm" because of how long they are).

so, as i read it, you can carry an unloaded rifle (that is long enough to not meet the definition of firearm in section 6102) in your car anywhere you want...you do not have to be going to or from the range.

bear in mind that IANAL (but the statutes do say what they say...and don't say what they don't).

(Carbon County)

Its almost TOO funny. Coming from a Fascist police State like NJ and worrying about PA! BTW, NewJermany is Fascist not communist because its its the Cops who deny citizens their rights under the law!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast