Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Getting Started With Firearms

Hello all,

Hopefully this is the proper forum to post complete newbie questions. Also if I use improper verbage I do apologize in advance.

I was not raised around firearms and have only fired a pistol once in my life in a controlled environment with friends many years ago. Now in my early 30's I have a wife, 1 year old boy and looking to have another child in the near future and i've been thinking alot about home defense and owning a firearm.

I've been doing alot of research on handguns, safety, ranges etc. Talking to co-workers who own handguns / shotguns, trying to gauge what might be best for me. Classes I should take, links, books to read, magazines and so on. I usually research something, maybe too much, prior to even talking to someone about it.

It seems as though a revolver is highly recommeded for first timers, i would appreciate some feedback on this.

I am very interested in taking classes on general safety, home safety ( gun locks, safe's etc.. ), useage, things like proper handling and stance, cleaning of the firearm and so on. I have visited the NHRA website and there appears to be a "Basic Pistol" class somewhere in Pittsburgh ( I reside in WestView ) at a Day's Inn for $350, that seemed a bit steep to me. Are there any local gun clubs that offer instruction w/o first having purchased a firearm? Reason I ask is i'd actually like a chance to fire a few different types prior to purchasing.

I have repeatedly read that you must know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can pull the trigger if presented with a situation that leaves you no other choice and i'm positive that I could do this in order to protect my loved ones regardless of what it may do to my mental well being.

I also have no opposition from my wife and once I am comfortable with the firearm I plan to introduce her as well.

I hope some of you can provide some insight and basic steps to help get me started.

Thank you for your time...

Dunc
    Last edited by Dunc; September 17th, 2006 at 01:59 AM.

(Bucks County)

Hey Dunc, Welcome to PFOA. You are taking the right course in protecting yourself and your family. There is an unlimited amount of knowledge out there for you , whether here at PFOA or other websites as well as paid instruction.
    I would first talk to as many people as I could, as you said you were doing, before spending $$$ on training. That may be something for later on in life. Doing your research is very necessary and it is good that your wife is behind you. I would include her in all your training. Once you learn, you will be able to pass your knowledge on to your children...Mike45

(Westmoreland County)

We may have just what you're looking for at http://www.fireinstitute.org.

We have a One-Day Handgun class scheduled next Sunday (September 24th).

Here is the link to the page on our website.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_on...gun_clinic.htm

We do discourage people from making purchases for this class as we make available our personal firearms and gear (holsters, etc.) to those students who do not have any.

All you need to do is enroll ($45.00) and provide your own ammo, eye pro and ear pro.
    Last edited by TonyF; September 17th, 2006 at 09:59 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the board Dunc.

there are a couple of great books out there that you can get started with..

http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Response.../dp/0936783451

This is a great example.

You might want to find a range that offers rental weapons and go a few different times and try different weapons to see what you like best.

I dont know about most ranges, but the place where I bought my first gun, offerend an introductory NRA safety and care course at no extra charge.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

welcome to the forum Dunc, You are doing the right thing in protecting your wife and family, but also comes the heavy responsability so look out I strongly recomend the book Lordiego suggested. It was my first read into handgun safety and basics, you will learn much! anyways, for a first time gun owner, i would recomend a revolver, low maitnece and it works like clockwork every time. Good luck!
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

Default Meet a friend

Dunc, think of gun owners as a brotherhood, you will be surprised how many gun owners will take you out for the first time around. My advice, get your wife involved right away, take decisions together. Many members at local gun clubs will help you, some might even invite you to come shooting with them. Take them up on it... You will find many different people with different levels of knowledge, when joining a club, ask about the members, are there NRA certified people there, Are there courses at the club.. Then look for courses in the area, As Tony said there are classes at the F.I.R.E. Institute, there are undoubtedly others as well. As for purchasing, you will always want more, but a good revolver is a very good start for the basics. Find out with your wife what you need as compared to what you want. Many clubs have loaners, paying a few dollars to try one is much less expensive then buying then selling again. And you will find that in most clubs, if you show an interest in a gun some one owns, they will generally let you try it. As I said before, guns are the one thing most men own they will gladly hand over to try out. Although not every one enjoys passing their guns around, I prefer having some one try out my guns to seeing them go to the store, do a compulsive purchase and see them upset about their buy.

Welcome to the Board, Im in Beaver my self, just above Ambridge.. Almost a neighbour!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    My advice, get your wife involved right away, take decisions together.
    Welcome!
    I couldn't agree more with Frenchy. If I would have known, twenty-two years ago, just how much fun it would be to go to the range with my husband, I would have done it back then. Now, whenever either of us are interested in buying something new, we go to the gun shops together.

(Allegheny County)

Wow! What a nice group!

Great information all around.

@LorDiego01: Book ordered! thanks.

@TonyF: I'll be in contact soon.

@Frenchy: We lived in Beaver for about 7 years, East End Avenue across from the church, but had to move closer to the city for work. It's nice to be close to the city but we miss that town, it really is a friendly community.

Thank you ALL for your suggestions and time, it's appreciated...

Dunc

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Wow! What a nice group!
    Yup, this is an awesome forum. Dont forget to stop by the Chat to say hello and also get your stickers before they are all gone.

It's nice to be close to the city but we miss that town, it really is a friendly community.
    I take it you are close to Philly?
    If you are ever around South Philla area, let me know and we can meet at SPAG. Range fee is $5 for guests plus a box of ammo and targets.

They have a bunch of rental guns I could help you check out, since I get free rentals for being a member.
    You might also want to consider a membership. And check out the calendar on the forums, there is a special at SPAG coming up next weekend.

I hope PAFOA members will come in full force and represent!.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

I was not raised around firearms and have only fired a pistol once in my life in a controlled environment with friends many years ago. Now in my early 30's I have a wife, 1 year old boy and looking to have another child in the near future and i've been thinking alot about home defense and owning a firearm.
    Wonderful reason to own one (or three). Welcome to the gun culture.

I've been doing alot of research on handguns, safety, ranges etc. Talking to co-workers who own handguns / shotguns, trying to gauge what might be best for me. Classes I should take, links, books to read, magazines and so on. I usually research something, maybe too much, prior to even talking to someone about it.
    Nothing wrong with research, I think alot of the time gun owners get a bad name is because they don't do enough.

It seems as though a revolver is highly recommeded for first timers, i would appreciate some feedback on this.
    I think a revolver is a great choice, like others have said, it's pretty much guaranteed to go bang like clockwork. I think a .38 special/.357 magnum with around a 4" barrel would make a nice first piece, its not too big, not too small, and you (and the wife) can shoot the lighter .38 loads for comfort, and upgrade to the .357 for defense. But it is important to try before you buy.

I have visited the NHRA website...
    Drag racing is cool too, but I'm not sure what that has to do with firearms...

Just kidding : )

I also have no opposition from my wife and once I am comfortable with the firearm I plan to introduce her as well.
    You already have one up on many new gun owners. The NRA also has women's shooting groups if she is interested.

That's one piece of advice I can give. Become an NRA member. It's a valuable organization that fights for your right to buy a firearm for defense. We live in a pretty friendly state for gunowners, but that could always change. As you know, they offer classes on ownership, and many other perks.

Once again, welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast