Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Anatomy

(Berks County)

Default Re: Deer Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    There is no written in stone where to gut your deer while out in the wild,My preference is to keeping the deer cavity clean,Yes it is a bit heavier but when then is 2-4 inches of snow its a breeze to drag out. There are no silly questions,that is how we get experience and learn.Curious will you be hunting with a hunter with a few deer to their credit ? The one thing you must definitley do is tag the deer immediatley !
    I would love to hunt with a hunter with a few deer to their credit but alas that is a tall order but some here have been very helpful with my learning process. Hard to find a hunting partner, even for a day but like I said the crew here have been as helpful as they can be. I'll likely go it alone, thus some of my stupid concerns and questions ha ha!

Tagging, just pierce a hole in the ear, in the tag, then ziptie the tag to the ear?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I would love to hunt with a hunter with a few deer to their credit but alas that is a tall order but some here have been very helpful with my learning process. Hard to find a hunting partner, even for a day but like I said the crew here have been as helpful as they can be. I'll likely go it alone, thus some of my stupid concerns and questions ha ha!

Tagging, just pierce a hole in the ear, in the tag, then ziptie the tag to the ear?
    I have heard that Dick Cheney is still looking for a hunting partner.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Ha ha, everyones a freaking comedian here!

(Susquehanna County)

I was taught and always teach, gut as soon as possible!
    1 - to help the body cool faster
    2 - do you want to drag the deer an hour to camp/vehicle gut it to find out it is full of puss or something got punctured and leaked out the whole time
    3 - much lighter
    4 - a bit of dirt inside the cavity is not going to hurt any meat.. a bit of snow will help cool it faster.. hell pack it full of snow if you wish while dragging it
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

I was spoiled, a friend of our family opened a butcher shop when he retired and we were some of his first customers.

He made us gut the deer HIS way.

Cut from the breastbone back, cut the diaphragm and reach in and cut the windpipe and pull out what's left of heart, lungs and liver, careful not to cut yourself on any damaged ribs, etc..

Then strip back the intestine inside from the anus to move any 'pellets' out of the way and slice it off leaving the rest for them; most of the remaining internals will almost fall out with some minor trimming.

He felt many people ruin a lot of meat splitting the pelvis in the field.

Hap had gone on to God's butcher shop but I still do things 'HIS' way and no other butcher has complained!

Not splitting the rib cage and pelvis leaves a much smaller opening and I drag them on their side; no dirt in the body cavity!

Saw someone from a near by camp with a 'mistake' kill that they were gonna turn over to the WCO.

The kid had split it from chin to tail and it had gathered up so much dirt and leaves that I figured the WCO wouldn't be able to donate it.

I figured the kid was POed about giving it up and it was so dirty that I had no doubt it was going to be turned in instead of butchered at the camp, but what a waste!

I believe in getting the body cavity empty right away to help cooling
    Last edited by wis bang; September 4th, 2018 at 12:58 PM.

(Berks County)

So tell me about "Then strip back the intestine inside from the anus to move any 'pellets' out of the way and slice it off leaving the rest for them." What does that mean?

(Bucks County)

So tell me about "Then strip back the intestine inside from the anus to move any 'pellets' out of the way and slice it off leaving the rest for them." What does that mean?
    This was long before 'Butt Out' came about.

From inside; find the large intestine and pinch where it hits the back of the body cavity & push the contents back into intestine enough to cut it off with out spilling the contents all over the cavity.

Butt out is a barbed tool you insert from outside to rip the anus and intestine outward enough to tie a knot and it all slides in and falls out with all the rest when you roll it over to dump out the guts.

We used to bring today's deer to Hap after supper and they would hang it up, skin it, clean out the anus and rinse it before hanging it in the cooler. he would schedule the time to come back. In the early days he would then cut your deer up in front of you. It was a real learning experience.
    Last edited by wis bang; September 4th, 2018 at 01:14 PM.

(Berks County)

Okay, so are you leaving the anus in and just pushing the "poop" back up the intestine and cutting off the intestine from the anus?

(Delaware County)

You got it. I also tuck the tag into the ear to help eliminate it getting pulled off dragging it.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Dont stick your tag up the anus ! if your going to have a mount done dont cut into the ear,zip tie to the horns or if anterless thru the leg sinew zip tied !and another thing dont go putting your finger up the anus to pull out entrail poop canal !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast