Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Anatomy

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Deer Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Dont stick your tag up the anus ! if your going to have a mount done dont cut into the ear,zip tie to the horns or if anterless thru the leg sinew zip tied !and another thing dont go putting your finger up the anus to pull out entrail poop canal !
    You cannot do this. The tag must be attached to the ear.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Okay, so are you leaving the anus in and just pushing the "poop" back up the intestine and cutting off the intestine from the anus?
    I hear 50% do this and 50% do not, is there a right and a wrong?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lancaster County)

I hear 50% do this and 50% do not, is there a right and a wrong?
    I have always removed the anus. For what it’s worth, that part of the field dressing operation never goes as easily as the diagrams in the sporting mags would have you believe. I have been tempted to buy a Butt Out tool but so far have resisted.

(Berks County)

So, if one does the butt out, technically you can just do the normal field dress and the anus can be pulled inward (through pelvis toward abdominal cavity) and out with the intestines?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    There is no written in stone where to gut your deer while out in the wild,My preference is to keeping the deer cavity clean,Yes it is a bit heavier but when then is 2-4 inches of snow its a breeze to drag out. There are no silly questions,that is how we get experience and learn.Curious will you be hunting with a hunter with a few deer to their credit ? The one thing you must definitley do is tag the deer immediatley !
    I thought you had to remove the entrails before moving the carcass. This was to prevent people from killing deer where they weren't supposed to be and moving it immediately. (ie, road hunting, trespassing, safety zone, etc.) But I heard that 50yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    I thought you had to remove the entrails before moving the carcass. This was to prevent people from killing deer where they weren't supposed to be and moving it immediately. (ie, road hunting, trespassing, safety zone, etc.) But I heard that 50yrs ago.
    Yes thats an old wives tale.If ever anyone had any doubt there is always going to be a deer trail and hit where it dropped even if it ran 100 yards !

(Lancaster County)

I always field dress and cut the pelvis, then drag it to fridge and let it hang for as long as I can.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lancaster County)

So, if one does the butt out, technically you can just do the normal field dress and the anus can be pulled inward (through pelvis toward abdominal cavity) and out with the intestines?
    As stated I have never used one but my understanding is that you sever the rectum/colon from the inside and then insert the butt out from the outside, give it a twist and yank and it pulls the remnants of the rectum out, turned inside out. You then just slice this remainder away from the skin.

Someone who has actually used one can correct me.

(Wyoming County)

Go on YouTube and search "butt out field dress" you will get several hits, and see even with it, there are different techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    You have to tag it before you move it. Never read anywhere that it has to be gutted before moving.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

I laughed at the Butt Out but it does work well. Some butcher shops charge extra if you leave the anus in. As others said you need to tag the deer before you move it but can gut it any where you want.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast