Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default AR15 Muzzle Device Without Obnoxious Blast?

What muzzle devices are you folks using that don't have some god awful blast that makes everyone else at the range hate you? I have an A2 flash hider that I think I'll put on the gun for now. I like the YHM phantom so I may buy one of those. I had one in the past and don't remember it putting off a blast like this.

While I love getting photos like this, the blast makes it pretty unpleasant to shoot. Yes, I did have earplugs in.

(Washington County)

Default Re: AR15 Muzzle Device Without Obnoxious Blast?

Look into a linear comp. They direct the blast downrange. I can not recommend any specific one. I just use A2 on everything.

(Lebanon County)

i use a trek.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lancaster County)

A2 (and A1) have been working fine for 50 years, I cant figure why someone would put on something that enhanced the blast/flash just to look cool, and what the OP said, piss everyone to the right or left of them at the firing line

Same goes for AR and AK pistols, someone sets up next to me with one, I pack it in for the day if no other bench space is available

(Lancaster County)

I like the KAW linear comp on my 11'' pistol. My rifles just get a thread protector, no need for any more length or noise.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...linear-blk.htm

https://hughesprecision.com/product-...ad-protectors/

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    A2 (and A1) have been working fine for 50 years, I cant figure why someone would put on something that enhanced the blast/flash just to look cool, and what the OP said, piss everyone to the right or left of them at the firing line

Same goes for AR and AK pistols, someone sets up next to me with one, I pack it in for the day if no other bench space is available
    I'll just put the A2 on it for a while and see how I feel about it. I have a linear comp too but I don't like it. Definitely not as loud though. I can't remember what it's like to shoot with the birdcage on the gun so that should be interesting. This rifle has probably had a half dozen or more different muzzle devices on it in the past year.

I don't see the appeal of AR or AK pistols for that reason. I love shooting my Mossberg 500 so I wouldn't say I'm recoil sensitive but I hate the excessive blast from short barrels and muzzle brakes. Trading more recoil for less severe of an explosion going off in my face every time I pull the trigger would be fine with me.

(York County)

I can tell you from experience, do NOT use the Fortis RED. It works very well, even with FA weapons, but good lord does it create a concussive blast!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Buy a silencer, no blast, less recoil... the 4 piece Bulgarian brake does a good job but I don't remember if it comes in 1/2x28. Or a jmac customs laf

(Allegheny County)

What do you mean by "blast"?

When I read that, I assumed you meant the noise/concussion that you get with a brake - mostly to the sides.
    Then you posted a picture with a huge fireball, so maybe that's what you meant? Or both?

Loud, fire breathing dragons are fun if you like the attention, but I didn't want that - especially since the whole point of MY pistol build was to give me a compact arm that could be used in the house if needed. All that fire is not going to be desirable in a home defense situation.

My solution. And it works.

Primary Weapons Systems CQB 556 Close Quarters Compensator
    (This style has been discontinued, but there are probably still vendors that have them in stock)

Here's a copy/paste from my pistol build thread to save me some time typing...

Speaking of muzzle devices - I'll post a few pics and comments before I toss up the completed upper pics...

I decided I wanted "something" to direct the blast forward. Flash cans seem to be common and cheap at around $35 or so, but ALL they do is direct the blast forward - you still have that pesky flamethrower effect going on. Cool on the range - maybe not so much if employed indoors. Think of the drapes!
    I figured this pistol would be a better candidate for home defense than any of my standard carbines, so I started looking into other options in the form of linear compensators.

There were a few contenders, and rather than get into all the details (most of which I have since forgotten anyway), I will just say that I read good reviews on the Primary Weapons Systems CQB 556 Close Quarters Compensator. There were other linear comps that were rather impressive in their recoil control and/or redirection of concussion, but thie PWS CQB seemed to be the only one (in this price range) that offered reasonable flash hiding capabilities.
    After watching a video of it being fired in darkness with mostly just some sparks coming out the end, I decided this was the one.
    I haven't shot it in low light, but I can tell you that it all but eliminates muzzle flash - and no fireballs.
    It MAY be a little louder than a standard AR, but that wasn't my focus, so I never really asked anyone at the range for feedback on that. Sounds like a normal carbine from behind the trigger.
    I noted that cheaper ammo produces an occasional flash, but that doesn't happen routinely.

Downside: It's not a $15 Ebay muzzle device - you get what you pay for.

This video is what made me take a chance on the product.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post

I'll just put the A2 on it for a while and see how I feel about it. I have a linear comp too but I don't like it. Definitely not as loud though. I can't remember what it's like to shoot with the birdcage on the gun so that should be interesting. This rifle has probably had a half dozen or more different muzzle devices on it in the past year.

I don't see the appeal of AR or AK pistols for that reason. I love shooting my Mossberg 500 so I wouldn't say I'm recoil sensitive but I hate the excessive blast from short barrels and muzzle brakes. Trading more recoil for less severe of an explosion going off in my face every time I pull the trigger would be fine with me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast