Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone working as an "armed school police officer"?

I would require written assurance that any and all lawsuits filed against you stemming from performance of the job will be paid for by them as each bill came in, and have the written assurance reviewed and approved by a lawyer experienced in such matters.

(Bucks County)

That would be nice, but it's never going to happen. The gig is a range of tasks- not just security.
    I was told the position includes power of arrest, Etc. It's a police officer position, not a an armed guard.
    From what I read it's becoming popular across the state. There's got to be a likelihood that someone here is either doing it or knows someone who does.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Dauphin County)

If you don't mind me asking, what company is it that is offering the position? The company I work for is doing the same thing in my area and two of the guys I've worked with are going to be the SRO for a few schools around Harrisburg.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

U.S. Security Care
    As I understand it, there are only a handfull of private security companies aurthorized to provide sro's in Pa.

(Bucks County)

"Police Officer position" will do nothing to insulate from lawsuit. At least negotiate the pay covering the insurance you'd be wise to purchase.

BTW...read where the governor of Rhode Island has just banned guns in schools. In the 1980s Rhode island was listed one of the most corrupt state in the union. Maybe it hasn't changed.

(Bucks County)

There is no negotiation about it- one either takes the job under the employers terms or one does not.

It's not a 1099 position, so whatever insurance the employer has is what you get- if the company is sued over an employees action (or lack thereof) the employer and employee are together until the employers lawyers can separate the two.

I'm looking for a personal liability policy right now. Difficult to find someone to cover potential gun play. As far as advertising it as a "police officer position" I believe the school employing the sro gets issued an o.r.i. number, turning it into it's own little police dept. All police agencies get an o.r.i. number so they can turn in crime data for fed. ucr purposes, etc. Hence, the employed person is a "police officer" by statute, allowing power of arrest beyond citizen arrest, Etc.

I don't have a full accounting yet as I need to finish the act 235 process before being invited to the new hire orientation. The wages are higher than anything else I've seen in the security industry for stateside work- are they high enough for financing my own insurance? probably not- but there is a bunch I don't know yet. That's why I'm looking for someone who is already doing it.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    U.S. Security Care
    As I understand it, there are only a handfull of private security companies aurthorized to provide sro's in Pa.
    Might want to check reviews on indeed, just so you can see what former employees have said about working for that company. I'm not trying to steer you out of it or anything just letting you know of a good resource, that is if you didn't know already.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Thanks.
    I saw them.

(Bucks County)

Thanks.
    I saw them.

(York County)

I am familiar with that position and company. If they have improved their training protocols and adhere to their own written policies they can be a good company to work for. You won't get rich, as they are a "for profit" entity, but they have a senior leadership who know what is required of the job and who have been trying to improve the quality off their program within budget constraints.

I also hear this kind of program is expanding statewide, and is happening at the County and Township/School District levels also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast