Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Diagnose this AR

Quote Originally Posted by luckyned7 View Post
    It is a factory gun with aftermarket built upon with a few hard miles but still very accurate. I’m not the orginal owner so I can’t give all of it’s history. In my beginning history, it would fail extraction, leaving the brass stuck in chamber. I felt it over gases so I installed new buffer spring, H buffer and a new extractor-spring w/o ring. Several hundred rounds later and a year of time...
    She fired 2 but I could not exstract the 3rd round to clear rifle. I mortared, cleaned and inspected and load 3 factory rounds and it refuses to go into battery. I went back home to diagnose and found I can jam the bolt on factory ammo. Hmm? I don’t care about this rifle BUT I would like to learn why so I’m smarter.
    Your thoughts are welcome.

Who head spaced the upper? Could it be out of spec? Are you shooting steel or brass? What is the condition of the buffer spring you removed? Since it was a built gun you may not have enough mass driving the bolt home, or to much causing the bolt to not travel fully to the rear. Check to see if the forward assist is dragging or jamming the bolt up. What are you using for lubricant?

I have a .223 wylde that sticks with steel cases.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lackawanna County)

One at a time, dropped into chamber by hand without the bolt: factory brass .223, mil-spec brass cased 5.56mm, your reloads.

Do they all drop in and drop out without problem? If not, which ones don't fit? If all stick, then chamber issue. Clean and recheck. If still problem, do chamber cast and measure.

This isolates an ammo problem, or chamber issue.

Checking headspace and bolt/bolt carrier are next.

(Monroe County)

Try using a spare bcg or a bcg from another rifle if you have to narrow down the problem. You'll at least know if you should be looking at the bcg or the chamber/barrel area.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for ideas. I rented some go/no go guages to check headspace. I’ve suspected a rough or tight chamber before this new malfuctions. I think I will polish the chamber and wait for headspace checks before going live again. Learned one serious mistake while trying to learn more.. Never attempt to cycle the bolt/carrier without the firing pin! (thought I’d be extra safe)
    I know how to fully disassemble an AR now. daulp 🤨

(Erie County)

My question would be the resizing, trimming, and set of your reloads.

Out of special reloads are a primary issue in semi- auto rifles.

(Berks County)

You know, if the ejector isn’t going all the way in the hole in the bolt face it would do this.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Dauphin County)

I checked headspace with a set of go/no gauges I rented. All was good but you know what, I think you may be on to something. This rifle was a problem, when I first obtained, until I replaced a few parts and began using small base dies. I think I busted into a quanity off handloads that were loaded before I purchased the small base dies. The factory round that got stuck after my stuck handloads could have been related. I think this old —- barrel has a tight and/or rough chamber that I forgot about it’s special needs! Anywhoo..new barrel otw. Can’t have a special AR. ��

(Lackawanna County)

My old Colt SP-1 has always had "special needs" small base resized reloads. Bought new in 1978, and when I started reloading at same time, found reloads wouldn't work. Had to order an RCBS small base .223 die set. Never a problem after that with my reloads.

Many years later.....after not reloading for 20 years.....got back into it and bought Lee dies and built some AR's with Wylde chambers. Hmmmm......same problem with "they no fit". Dug out the old RCBS dies and problem went away. Lessons learned? Always use small base reloading dies for the AR family of rifles. And, if using reloads, and have problems, always question the ammo first. I always keep a box of factory made ammo on-hand to rule out the ammo problem.

I always use small base dies for reloading for any 5.56 or 7.62. That way I never have to worry about what bullets go with what autoloading rifle when you own multiple 5.56 and 7.62 rifles.

(Montgomery County)

Watch the video on this site. It is very informative and I think it helps support many of the Great comments made in this post. Make sure you watch the entire video.

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-5...es-223-review/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast