Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Looking for info on adjustable gas blocks

I bought a Wojtek adjustable gas block last week, it's coming Monday and I'll be installing it while my wife watches bachelor in paradise. My question is when you're adjusting your gas, do you generally stick with one ammo type? I mostly shoot American Eagle 5.56 55 grain but try others once in a while. If I adjust it to slightly above minimum necessary gas, I doubt something like Tula would work because it has noticeably less recoil. Also, I have a carbine buffer in my spare parts bin but I'm using a 4.9 ounce buffer right now. When I go to the range, I'm going to plan on bringing the lighter buffer but should that matter?

http://www.wojtekweaponry.com/wojtek...ock-set-screw/

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Looking for info on adjustable gas blocks

Yes, it will be adjusted for ammo. I run m193 99% of the time in my ARs with adj blocks. Every once in a while i grab something else or a buddy wants to try it out with his ammo and we've found it may be 100% reliable. Like Fiochi, it will cycle but not lock the bolt back on an empty mag.
    Adjusted the block one more click open allowing more gas and it worked fine.
    So for your block, not having a "click" type adjustment, set it to lock back empty on the weakest ammo you shoot. You probably won't notice the difference. It may run a hair harder on normal ammo, but you have 2 set screws to play with to adjust it on the fly. But that's your call on how much of a pain in the ass you find it to be.

I personally would set that 4.9 aside and run the carbine buffer only. You will have less mass going back and forth and have therefore less movement in the gun. Yes a heavy buffer will slow down the cyclic rate of the bolt feeling smoother, but you will have that weight also slamming back into the breech on returning to battery.

If you want to get really crazy and deep into the no recoil build, and have lighter wallet...add a light weight bolt, gut your buffer or run a Taccom buffer like Emptymag showed me, and run a polished JP Ent spring or something similar.
    Last edited by Nate7667; August 26th, 2018 at 07:37 AM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Lancaster County)

I have read that PMC Bronze has less recoil them most other brands so I set my gas block to run that. I have one gun that wont run steel ammo so I don't use steel.

I backed off the block till the PMC Bronze failed to cycle then increased the setting till it did plus one click. This way it will run my normal ammo fine it just is not as soft as it could be but it will cycle with whatever brand I use.

(Lackawanna County)

You really need to tune the gas system not just the block. Changing out buffers and all that frequently can make it unreliable if you’re looking for a set it and forget it type rig. Very few of my ars have adjustable gas. Either on the carrier or in the block for that reason

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Yes, it will be adjusted for ammo. I run m193 99% of the time in my ARs with adj blocks. Every once in a while i grab something else or a buddy wants to try it out with his ammo and we've found it may be 100% reliable. Like Fiochi, it will cycle but not lock the bolt back on an empty mag.
    Adjusted the block one more click open allowing more gas and it worked fine.
    So for your block, not having a "click" type adjustment, set it to lock back empty on the weakest ammo you shoot. You probably won't notice the difference. It may run a hair harder on normal ammo, but you have 2 set screws to play with to adjust it on the fly. But that's your call on how much of a pain in the ass you find it to be.

I personally would set that 4.9 aside and run the carbine buffer only. You will have less mass going back and forth and have therefore less movement in the gun. Yes a heavy buffer will slow down the cyclic rate of the bolt feeling smoother, but you will have that weight also slamming back into the breech on returning to battery.

If you want to get really crazy and deep into the no recoil build, and have lighter wallet...add a light weight bolt, gut your buffer or run a Taccom buffer like Emptymag showed me, and run a polished JP Ent spring or something similar.
    Gut the buffer, huh? I actually used to have a spare carbine buffer that the rubber piece broke when I was removing it and I threw it away ... damn. I could have used the empty shell. I'll buy a carbine buffer, take the weights out and see how it shoots. I imagine I could turn the gas down even lower if I used a gutted buffer and lightweight BCG. I'll be at the range tomorrow night experimenting with different buffers, springs and gas settings. Should be fun.

(Lackawanna County)

That’s basically the gist of competition guns. My three gun rifle is adjustable gas, lightweight bcg and lightweight buffer. Less moving mass faster to back on target

(Allegheny County)

As mentioned above, this is what I used in my wife's lightweight build. (Along with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block ad a lightweight BCG)

I didn't really understand all of it when I built it - I just went with some trusted suggestions. It works flawlessly and has practically zero felt recoil. (also used a good muzzle brake)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

I would only run the gutted buffer, rubber back piece included, only WITH a light weight carrier.

I have my SLR block only open at 4 or 5 clicks with a Fail Zero BCG, gutted buffer, JP polished spring, and a very good brake.
    Its kind of obnoxious if you're not the one shooting it though lol
    But i think that my suppressed SBR AR22 has more recoil than this particular AR.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50