Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Question on legality of gun purchase in another state for family member

So, some background...I buy a handgun in PA, but want to have a family member that is directly related to me have use of the gun while residing in Fl. The family member is not 21, so ownership of said gun is not legal at this point. I would like to have this family member retain the gun for defensive purposes.

Question...is this legal, can it be made lagal with certain conditions met, or not legal at all?

I plan on speaking with a lawyer, but not sure if it should be one who practices in PA or FL.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Question on legality of gun purchase in another state for family member

getting popcorn, spiked soda and a comfy chair to watch from
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question on legality of gun purchase in another state for family member

It sounds like you want to provide a child of yours with protection while living in FL? I will presume they are at least 18 or you would not be asking the question. Are they in FL on a permanent basis or as a student, who is retaining a permanent address in PA? Need more info to evaluate further, but the attorney you contact should be familiar with the gun laws of FL primarily as that is the destination state. Good luck.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

By the time you talk to a lawyer you would be better off sending $300 down and tell them to buy a used .38 revolver.

Your description is vague. But it seems like you want the firearm for the adult family member and not so she always has possession of it. Give them the money, have them buy it legally, and if they are a parent or grandparent they can gift it to her when she is responsible enough.

Or send her the money for a shotgun.

(Wyoming County)

It's an out of state transfer of a handgun so parent/grandparent FTF transfer is not allowed. I got tripped up by the age issue and thought no big deal transfer through the FFL in Florida.

Hopefully there's an answer I'm not seeing, but I don't think it's possible
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Jefferson County)

That is a big fat NOPE!

Interstate loaning of firearms is only legal for sporting purposes, and the ATF only recognizes hunting as the only legal sporting purpose.

And since the other person is under 21yo - A FFL cannot transfer a handgun to them(if you wanted to fully commit).

Give them $200-$300 and have them buy themselves a shotgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    That is a big fat NOPE!

Interstate loaning of firearms is only legal for sporting purposes, and the ATF only recognizes hunting as the only legal sporting purpose.

And since the other person is under 21yo - A FFL cannot transfer a handgun to them(if you wanted to fully commit).

Give them $200-$300 and have them buy themselves a shotgun.
    My daughter is not 21 yet. So a handgun purchase would be out of the question. She is a student, yet her permanent residence is still PA.

All of you were pretty much on the same track as I have been, but was looking for maybe a different perspective,, which could prove viable.

She is adept with a handgun, not so much with a shotgun. I guess we will focus on some range time in the next week or so.

Appreciate the insight and opinions...

Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    My daughter is not 21 yet. So a handgun purchase would be out of the question. She is a student, yet her permanent residence is still PA.

All of you were pretty much on the same track as I have been, but was looking for maybe a different perspective,, which could prove viable.

She is adept with a handgun, not so much with a shotgun. I guess we will focus on some range time in the next week or so.

Appreciate the insight and opinions...

Thanks.
    Yeah, it helps to have all the info..

If she is your daughter, and presently a PA resident like you are, you can give it to her NOW. Age of possession is 18yo in PA, parent to child transfers don't require a formal transfer.

Age of possession in FL is 18(cant carry it, has to be left at home). She would need to transport it to FL via FOPA requirements.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Give her cell phone number to Military Recruiter. They’ll teach her some skills, and give her an M16. She’ll be fine!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Give her cell phone number to Military Recruiter. They’ll teach her some skills, and give her an M16. She’ll be fine!
    She is well versed in handgun and AR. She shoots my 308 real well too. Udap makes a real good bear spray...keeps that in her bag.

She will be 21 in no time...

Thanks again for all the replies...