Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W M66-8 hand, mouse spring, trigger giving me fits. HELP!

The trigger from the factory is very smooth but a bit heavy for my taste. Not super heavy mind you. I debated on whether or not to install the trigger kit. With shipping, it was only about $20 from Wilson Combat. Now it is a LOT lighter. I just hope I don't end up with light primer strikes. I didn't do any stoning because that would ruin the bluing on the internal surfaces and it seems Smith and Wesson actually did polish the relevant areas of the frame. So kudos on them for that. I do not have a trigger pull gauge, so I can't give any numbers. I also really suck at guessing what the pull actually is.

I have two J-Frame revolvers that I did trigger jobs on and didn't run into this problem. I didn't pull the hand off on those. I also Cerakoted them with mixed results. I let the air pressure get too low in the tank and got some spitting on one of them. Rather than acetone soak it and try again, I just went ahead with the curing process because the mixed life of the coating is short and I mixed two colors. I'm not planing on selling either of them. One was actually bought used at a too good to be true price. It ended up needing work because the cylinder was snagging when trying to open it and it would only open on one chamber. Turned out the ejector rod was messed up. It took a while to diagnose that one.

I guess I've gotten into the mindset of doing some degree of customization on my guns. While I'm hardly a gun smith, I can do some of the basic stuff. Changing sights, triggers, and such. Although all I've done on a semi-auto so far is change out the sights. There are no smiths in my area that I know of anymore. People get old, retire, and the other thing. It's too bad really because custom guns, especially if they can be affordable, are nice because they are built for you and are not just generic hammers.

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W M66-8 hand, mouse spring, trigger giving me fits. HELP!

I got a chance to run half a dozen Magtech .38Spl 130gr FMJ rounds through it. I shot into the ground as fast as I could. All rounds went bang. MidwayUSA reviews have mentioned hard primers with this ammo, so I am pretty confident now. I do also have some Fiocchi 142gr .357 loads, but I don't want to alarm my neighbors. Those have a wicked kick and blast in a model 649 J-Frame.

Love the 66!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12