Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry 22 rifle

(Allegheny County)

Default Henry 22 rifle

Anyone have a Henry 22 rifle?

I always loved the look of a lever action--- and the idea that the Henry can take lots of different ammo. But it would only be a plinker and wondering if people have an opinion that it would be a good buy-- or opt for a bolt action.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Default Re: Henry 22 rifle

Henry makes a nice rifle. I've had a Big Boy in .357 for many years and it's a pleasure to shoot, well built, and extremely accurate. When my son is a bit larger and can move on from his single shot Savage Rascal it's most likely going to be on to a Golden Boy.

If your looking for an iron sighted plinker then I'd go with the Henry if you want a scoped bench rifle then go with a bolt action.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Henry Frontier model 22, the octagon barrel version. Very smooth, accurate, and fun to shoot. I've taken a rabbit with it as well.

One thing to note on the Henry is that there is a difference between the standard and golden boy style in the stock drop. You can see it if you hold them up together or if you shoulder one after the other. The standard you can rest your cheek on the stock and see the sights. The golden/silver boy has an old west style drop and you sight with your check off of the stock.

Absolutely worth getting one.

Henry makes an excellent .22lr lever gun. My wife has an H001 that she bought as her first rifle years ago. Nice, slick action, and accurate to boot. My dad has the frontier model with the heavier octagon barrel. Same great action. Better sight options if you want to upgrade.

(Philadelphia County)

I have the basic henry lever 22 - same one ronin is mentioning above - bought it used for under 200 and it runs very smooth (something you will hear about henry's), again can concur with ronin.
    For levers I prefer the side loading gate (like marlin etc) but this isn't typically done for 22lr so it was a good choice for me - very fun plinker/ can run it fast.
    Be aware that the base model (H001) has plastic front sight and they make a plastic front sight w/ fiber aftermarket that you can easily swap in; if that bothers you, then you can get the metal one from the golden boy or upgraded model from Henry for a very small fee - some have reported that they managed to get one for free from henry. I have also read that their customer service is very good but cannot comment on this directly.

(Centre County)

I won, several years back, on one of the $2 side raffles at the FOAC gun bash and when I went to pick what I wanted they had the Henry H001 (basic model .22) on the table. I took that and it is going to my grandson in another year or so. I am getting it broke in for him . Shoots like a dream, have never had a malfunction, jam or failure to eject. Any type of ammo I've had on hand at the time shot fine, no hiccups with any of it. It's a great plinker and won't break the bank. I'm a Ruger fan and I really like the Ruger 10/22 and the Henry is a fun plinking gun just like the basic 10/22 is.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Henry makes a great lever gun. Very smooth, easy to shoot, and accurate. I would suggest the H001, basic and you can mount a scope easily if you want. I bought the Golden Boy in 22LR. Great rifle and pretty, but the stock angle is such it makes shooting with a scope uncomfortable, and requires a special mount as well. For a few more dollars more, the Evil Roy is handsome AND is very scope-able. It's how I wish I would have gone to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    I have the basic henry lever 22 - same one ronin is mentioning above - bought it used for under 200 and it runs very smooth (something you will hear about henry's), again can concur with ronin.
    For levers I prefer the side loading gate (like marlin etc) but this isn't typically done for 22lr so it was a good choice for me - very fun plinker/ can run it fast.
    Be aware that the base model (H001) has plastic front sight and they make a plastic front sight w/ fiber aftermarket that you can easily swap in; if that bothers you, then you can get the metal one from the golden boy or upgraded model from Henry for a very small fee - some have reported that they managed to get one for free from henry. I have also read that their customer service is very good but cannot comment on this directly.
    Even MORE importantly to me was the fact that the magazine follower was very THIN plastic. Mine broke and unfortunately since I didn't realize it constant jams which really messed the innards up. Henry was nice enough to send me the upgraded follower but the damage was done. I dumped it at an auction and at the same auction bought a Marlin 39 pretty much an even swap. The Henry was a sweet handling and accurate BUT a PAINTED receiver??? Really? Scratchomatic, one often gets what they pay for. >shrug<
    The 1947 Marlin I bought looked better than the scratched Henry over 50 years newer.

(Bucks County)

Im a big fan of Henry rifles, made 100% in America. Great company, wonderful guns. The .22 Golden Boy is a beauty to shoot and a beauty on the wall. I'm currently looking for a preowned Mares Leg!
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

I won one about 10 yrs ago. It is a sweet little rifle. The barrel band screw was to short. I sent a request for a new screw Saturday night. I recieved an answer by Sunday Morning from the President of Henry rifles apologizingfor the to short screw Tuesday mail I recieved a new screw a bunch of stickers and patches as well as another apology from the President. Great service.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast