Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Nagant revolver identification

I have several war items my dad brought home from WWII. Also war items I captured in Vietnam. Getting on in years and nobody to leave them to I have decided to sell them. I will start with the .44 cal French Nagant serial number 30. I have searched for months and can't decide what model it is. Someone please help so I know what I have. thank you

Link to photos. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F1...logBGl-d1LBVxF

(Elk County)

Default Re: Nagant revolver identification

It looks to me like an 1893 in .44; the .44 models did not have fluted cylinders, and the 1893 model had the cylindrical ejector rod end instead of a button end.

1893 models in .44 were used by Brazil and Argentina, but some could have found their way into French service during the war via Portugal or Spain. Official French revolvers were the MAS 1873 in 11mm, and MAS 1892 in 8mm.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Thank you for the reply. After months of looking at photos I agree it resembles the Brazil 1893 model. They both have Brevet Nagant on the left side. Found this description on a web page. "This is a large frame Brazilian military revolver, model 1893, built by Nagant in Belgium, and marked “Brevet Nagant” on the left side of the frame. The revolver was part of a Brazilian military contract fulfilled by Nagant Bros., Belgium." However the front sight is different. Not sure if this means anything. Also they both have E L G * in a circle on the cylinder. Although the DOD paper says French my dad did capture it in Germany. I have other items I will list in the proper sections if anyone would be interested in seeing them. Also I captured a SKS and Chicom grenade while in Vietnam 68-69. Like my dad I have the DOD papers given to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly1949 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. After months of looking at photos I agree it resembles the Brazil 1893 model. They both have Brevet Nagant on the left side. Found this description on a web page. "This is a large frame Brazilian military revolver, model 1893, built by Nagant in Belgium, and marked “Brevet Nagant” on the left side of the frame. The revolver was part of a Brazilian military contract fulfilled by Nagant Bros., Belgium." However the front sight is different. Not sure if this means anything. Also they both have E L G * in a circle on the cylinder. Although the DOD paper says French my dad did capture it in Germany. I have other items I will list in the proper sections if anyone would be interested in seeing them. Also I captured a SKS and Chicom grenade while in Vietnam 68-69. Like my dad I have the DOD papers given to me.
    Do you have any idea on what you may want for the SKS and the capture papers?

(York County)

I read an article on the Nagant revolver series that mentioned the Brazilian contract model. However it isn't even in my Standard Catalog of Military Firearms. What does your google-fung tell you if you can find others for sale?

Edit: I searched phrase Brazilian Contract Nagant and found a fair amount of information on it. Ammo is similar to .44 Russian but proprietary to that model. A very nice one was listed as sold on a gun auction site in 2014 for $655
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; August 23rd, 2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added info

thank you for taking the time to look. do you remember if the sale had the capture papers. I have been told that can double the sale.