Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Go check your carry guns. I forgot to oil glock slide rail. Rusted solid in two weeks

Gen 3 g26. Around the 3000 round mark. I guess I forgot to oil/ marine grease one side of my frame slide rails two weeks ago when I cleaned it after a range trip. I went this morning to the Range and kept getting FTEs. Broke it down and found this.

Perfect storm of the humidity, salt from my gut AIWBing, and forgetting to oil fore and aft Frame rails. Inserts were rusted and pitted, could barely rack the slide by hand.

Don’t rag on me, I bet the majority don’t break yours down weekly either. Just go check yours. I learned my lesson.

That is all.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Default Re: Go check your carry guns. I forgot to oil glock slide rail. Rusted solid in two w

A dremel with a polishing wheel and some flitz should clear that up

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Go check your carry guns. I forgot to oil glock slide rail. Rusted solid in two w

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Don’t rag on me, I bet the majority don’t break yours down weekly either.

LOL, are you new here? This site is full of operators who will break your wrist if you come within 3' of their guns. They can hear rust forming and stop it with a steely stare.

(Allegheny County)

Shit. Now I have to start lubing the damn thing.

Next, you'll be telling me I have to clean it more than.once a year too.
    Where will it end?

I thought that copper colored crap was forever .
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

frog lube is your friend if you want to really prevent corrosion, provided you apply it properly (little bit of heat wipe off the excess.)
    I have used it on all of my firearms and if I'm building a rifle or buy on I treat the whole thing. Have little if any issues with rust.
    Again the key to making it work right is heat it allows the metal to absorb it in better. (not a lot I use a hairdryer to heat things up)

https://www.froglube.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgLiUvD_BwE

Here's a guy who did a ton of testing if you have the time to read it all , he did not use heat I'm assuming that's why the froglube fell slightly
    short but it still did a hell of a job and I can say from experience it works. But this link shows actual testing for 46 different products. This way
    you can make an informed decision.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    Last edited by HKusp 45; August 20th, 2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: because I dun screwed up the link the last time.

(Montgomery County)

Wow that is surprising, glad you found it though. Holsters with sweat shields really aren't a bad idea!

OK,You know you did a bad ! I clean and lube my CCWs every week whether I shot it or not ! I will say my first Glock 19 gen 1 being on Marine Water Duty I saw a lot of salt water spray and started to look very similar to yours but not that bad ! DAMM !

(Chester County)

I read here on this forum you should never clean your guns. I guess they were wrong.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    A dremel with a polishing wheel and some flitz should clear that up
    SERIOUSLY ?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Wow that is surprising, glad you found it though. Holsters with sweat shields really aren't a bad idea!
    I'm getting ready to make a replacement IWB hybrid holster, after sweating thru the old one badly.

I picked up a piece of 11oz cowhide and a jar of Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protectant, because I want a single thickness of leather for stability reasons.

Obenauf's reviewed positively in my Googling. I will report back on its effectiveness after some heavy use.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast