Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Go check your carry guns. I forgot to oil glock slide rail. Rusted solid in two w

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    This is why we all need to go to 3d printed plasyic guns.
    Nah, just get a hi-point, zinc doesn't rust

Default Re: Go check your carry guns. I forgot to oil glock slide rail. Rusted solid in two w

I havent even looked at my carry piece till I read this. Took it apart, just a bunch of lint,
    blows out clean after first shot. Gun was a little dirty since the last time I shot it about 6mos ago.
    Cleaned it up with q-tips and weapon shield, looks new, but than again, its a makarov.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Gen 3 g26. Around the 3000 round mark. I guess I forgot to oil/ marine grease one side of my frame slide rails two weeks ago when I cleaned it after a range trip. I went this morning to the Range and kept getting FTEs. Broke it down and found this.

Perfect storm of the humidity, salt from my gut AIWBing, and forgetting to oil fore and aft Frame rails. Inserts were rusted and pitted, could barely rack the slide by hand.

Don’t rag on me, I bet the majority don’t break yours down weekly either. Just go check yours. I learned my lesson.

That is all.
    damn, hopefully it can be buffed out, flitz is good stuff.
    just as embarrassing, i found i carried a mag too long and almost an entire mag of hornady crit def and duty failed to fire.
    hornady said "shoot it more" and was surprised since duty is sealed for moisture, supposedly.
    guessing i went swimming with a mag or something, not sure WHAT actually happened, scary to find i was carrying one live round and a oddly shaped brick though.

so oil your guns and shoot your carry mags and rounds frequently, if it's too expensive, buy cheaper carry ammo.
    good luck, worst case glock can repair that?

can we use this as an argument for OC? my oc guns always fill their nooks with lint, dust, rocks, debris of all kinds. wouldn't be surprised if i found a french fry wedged in my striker cutout. like when a car rolls, you always find a french fry, and change.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I read here on this forum you should never clean your guns. I guess they were wrong.
    Also coat the rails with anti-seize heavily.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Good PSA. Metal rusts if left untreated.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Jeepers, it is the same link, twice, to froglube.com . Where is the link to the actual testing for 46 different products?

Rick
    http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

whoops apparently crtl c didn't work the second time here you go (and I'll edit lol)

(Berks County)

What did you clean it with? Non-toxic water based or high ammonia copper cutter? Both need getting off before storage and a good oil to prevent rust. Don’t store in a sweat soaked holster either. If you cleaned with hoppies 9 or a clp this would be a puzzle.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Hoppes #9 always and usually I use mobil1 20w lightly applied or shell marine grease applied and then dabbed with a paper towel.

Strange part is that this side of the gun faces away from my body during carry. No clue what happened. I’m 6’3 230lbs and not really a sweaty guy I suppose. Maybe I got something corrosive down the slide plate? But the tenifer on the slide looks new. Who knows.

Simply a scary PSA Guys.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    . . . I thought that copper colored crap was forever .
    That's what Glock says in their literature, but it has always confounded me why Glock uses copper anti-seize as a lubricant.

The copper in the copper colored crap greatly increases conductivity in the presence of an electrolyte like perspiration. The salty perspiration liquid or vapor sets up a "battery" of sorts between the copper in the anti-seize and the stainless steel and carbon steel in the Glock handgun, with the stainless or carbon steel corroding.

I came to the conclusion that Glock recommends no lubricant because they don't want pistols deteriorating due to oil effects on the polymer frames. Not all oils are created equal, and some compounds can have solvent properties on certain polymers.

But to my knowledge Glock does not offer the copper colored crap as an aftermarket accessory, and I asked about it when I attended the Glock armorer school a number of years ago and was told it's a factory lubrication treatment. IMO, hocus-pocus.

All that said, I lubricate my Glocks and other firearms with Corrosion-X and Weapon Shield oils, and Weapon Shield grease as appropriate. I carry a Glock 19 as well as rotating a PM Makarov, SIG P228, S&W 696, and other handguns, and none of them show rust like that of the OP. Prior to the Corrosion-X treatment I had a predecessor to the XD-9 called the HS-2000, the slide of which would routinely develop slight rust in the area of the grasping grooves. Hoppes Gun Oil would not stop it, but one application of Corrosion-X did. It never came back. So phosphated areas of my firearms receive the Corrosion-X treatment, and other bits get Weapon Shield.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That's what Glock says in their literature, but it has always confounded me why Glock uses copper anti-seize as a lubricant.

The copper in the copper colored crap greatly increases conductivity in the presence of an electrolyte like perspiration. The salty perspiration liquid or vapor sets up a "battery" of sorts between the copper in the anti-seize and the stainless steel and carbon steel in the Glock handgun, with the stainless or carbon steel corroding.

I came to the conclusion that Glock recommends no lubricant because they don't want pistols deteriorating due to oil effects on the polymer frames. Not all oils are created equal, and some compounds can have solvent properties on certain polymers.

But to my knowledge Glock does not offer the copper colored crap as an aftermarket accessory, and I asked about it when I attended the Glock armorer school a number of years ago and was told it's a factory lubrication treatment. IMO, hocus-pocus.

All that said, I lubricate my Glocks and other firearms with Corrosion-X and Weapon Shield oils, and Weapon Shield grease as appropriate. I carry a Glock 19 as well as rotating a PM Makarov, SIG P228, S&W 696, and other handguns, and none of them show rust like that of the OP. Prior to the Corrosion-X treatment I had a predecessor to the XD-9 called the HS-2000, the slide of which would routinely develop slight rust in the area of the grasping grooves. Hoppes Gun Oil would not stop it, but one application of Corrosion-X did. It never came back. So phosphated areas of my firearms receive the Corrosion-X treatment, and other bits get Weapon Shield.

Noah
    Good info.
    The statement about the copper colored anti seize or lube, whatever its intent was due to.my ex BIL.
    He bought 2 Glock 20s and gifted one to a friend for carpenter services.
    At least 8 years later, I went there over a plumbing issue and the field strip, / detail strip, /cleaning of the gun was discussed.
    After making sure it was clear, I removed the slide only to see the original copper colored grease in there.

He evidently didn't shoot it much, if at all.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast