Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MONROE ltcf denial: references didn't respond in time

I'll keep this as short as I can: new resident, submitted application, references are out of state, absolutely NO convictions/mental health/drug stuff etc.

References didn't receive letter until late in the process, but they were sent in a timely matter (USPS' problem I'm assuming), I received a letter from sheriff stating they need to respond, they did but it was too late, i received my denial letter stating the reason for denial was a lack of response from references.

It's pretty cut and dry and that's it. I've scoured PAFOA for a similar case but haven't found any. They didn't send me back a check, they didn't send me any information on an appeal. Now in the denial letter, they cited the firearms code with the reasons for denial and "lack of response from references" was listed as a reason, which I'm sure we all know is completely made up.

So my references have sent their letters and I'm sure the sheriff has received them by now, and they're probably in the trash I'm assuming.

What's my next step here? I can't find anything about an appeal, I've already started looking into lawyers but if there's a simple way to appeal this without spending fees I'd be willing to go that route. I'm just not sure a lawyer is needed at the moment, but I cannot figure out how to start the process.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: MONROE ltcf denial: references didn't respond in time

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport327 View Post
    I'll keep this as short as I can: new resident, submitted application, references are out of state, absolutely NO convictions/mental health/drug stuff etc.

References didn't receive letter until late in the process, but they were sent in a timely matter (USPS' problem I'm assuming), I received a letter from sheriff stating they need to respond, they did but it was too late, i received my denial letter stating the reason for denial was a lack of response from references.

It's pretty cut and dry and that's it. I've scoured PAFOA for a similar case but haven't found any. They didn't send me back a check, they didn't send me any information on an appeal. Now in the denial letter, they cited the firearms code with the reasons for denial and "lack of response from references" was listed as a reason, which I'm sure we all know is completely made up.

So my references have sent their letters and I'm sure the sheriff has received them by now, and they're probably in the trash I'm assuming.

What's my next step here? I can't find anything about an appeal, I've already started looking into lawyers but if there's a simple way to appeal this without spending fees I'd be willing to go that route. I'm just not sure a lawyer is needed at the moment, but I cannot figure out how to start the process.
    there is no requirement for references in PA I would contact an attorney.

(Delaware County)

Gather as much data on your submission as you can. Build a timeline with copies of your reference's letters. Then get a lawyer. I could be wrong but I think you can not reapply for 1 year. While I'm not familiar with Monroe county, it's only a couple of miles from NJ. Amen. Oh, and get a lawyer.

Bob D

Josh Prince ESC has been all over Sheriff Martin and his dpt for their abuse of the LTCF process. You may want to look him up.

I have Renee in the next few weeks and was hoping the process would go smoothly.

One man's decision to deny a law-abiding citizen an unconstitutional permission slip to exercise an enumerated constitutional right based on a made up and illegal requirement--sounds like a definition of tyranny. This kind of crap spreading is exactly the kind of thing that makes me nervous.
    I am not a lawyer.

Thanks for the responses, consultation has been set with prince offices. I've been well researched on what's going on with Monroe and I'll keep the thread updated, but I can promise I am going to follow this through legally as far as I can afford until my rights are met.

Not sure how I'd obtain those reference letters now seeing as they've already been mailed, I didn't think of copying them at the time and I probably should have.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    there is no requirement for references in PA I would contact an attorney.
    This. Being you were denied you can sue. Before he would pull the "I'm not taking that" crap so you didn't have proof.
    Plus where is it law they even respond in a given time frame it's not on the page anywere.
    http://www.monroecountypa.gov/Dept/S...onWeapons.aspx

You need some good ref's let me know.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Should not have been denied soley on the references issue which there is not ! Personally I would go to the Issueing/non issueing Officer and request a why denied soley on the references ? If they decide to issue an LTCF by bringing issue up fine in your favor,If not Attorney time,GUNLAWYER is highly recomended !

I'm sure since you contacted an attorney things are being handled, but be aware you have 30 days to file an appeal with the Pa court of common pleas, or the denial becomes permanent for one year.

Please keep us posted.

Interesting to see if this is Martin's latest attempt to circumvent the Constitution and doing his job. Oh we didn't receive a response within 5 days, or something trivial along those lines.

Sounds like the cleo is a nj/ny transplant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast