Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Transition from NC to PA

I'm looking for guidance.

I am in the process of moving to a new job in PA. I currently reside in NC and have a North Carolina CHL.

I will be starting my job in PA in the next week or so and will be living in an extended stay hotel until my house in NC sells and my family moves north. I assume that as long as my primary residence is still in NC, then my CHL is still valid, up until my house sells and I establish residency in PA.

Is there anything else I need to be considering in this move (other than interstate travel as I drive to PA)? I've seen the PA does issue non-resident CHL, but as far as I can tell that seems to be a moot point as long as my NC permit is still valid.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transition from NC to PA

You would be in a kinda gray area. But so long as you are in temporary housing, and you still have a primary residence in NC - you would still be a NC resident, thus your NC CHL still valid.

The moment you make permanent residency in PA, you become a PA resident. Which means you will need a PA LTCF from the sheriff of the county you reside in(except in Philly, the Philly PD).

The good news is, PA LTCF's are as easy to get as gumballs from a machine.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Officially, there's no such thing as a non-resident LTCF. Up here an LTCF allows one to carry concealed, or in a car, or during a state of emergency, or in a school zone. If you're up here with a valid N.C. CHL, might as well get an LTCF based on your North Carolina license. Once you have that, it'll be one less thing to concern yourself with while getting your family settled. It's valid until expired, and you don't have to change the address on it (not that there are any provisions in law to do such).

Twenty bucks, a one-page application, and a Sheriff in your area that does "out of state" LTCFs.

(Adams County)

Just don't end up living in Philadelphia.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    Just don't end up living in Philadelphia.
    Or Reading, or Harrisburg, or Allentown, or Pittsburgh...
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Or Reading, or Harrisburg, or Allentown, or Pittsburgh...
    or Wilkes-Barre or Scranton or Chester.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Delaware County)

Thanks Guys.

Yeah, I'll be in Philly, hence the reason for me to ask the question. I'll be living outside Philly, but driving into the city for my job... not looking forward to that drive.

So, for the non-resident permit can I apply in any county, or the county where I have temporary residence? I also see that two references are required, can they live anywhere in the country, or do they have to be in PA?
    Last edited by wellardmac; August 20th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.

(Chester County)

If you have a choice, I would recommend Chester County. We have a very pro 2ndA sheriff and it is a pretty nice county to live in. Much lower taxes then the other counties surrounding Philly.
    Good Luck!

(Tioga County)

I travel all over the country for work and have done so for over 10 years. At times have been away for over 2 months. You don't need to tell cops your whole life story. My home is in PA, stuff is in PA, bank acct in PA, mail box in PA, all government stuff is PA, etc. Anybody asks what I am doing I am traveling for business. At least right now until you actually move, you are in the same situation.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I travel all over the country for work and have done so for over 10 years. At times have been away for over 2 months. You don't need to tell cops your whole life story. My home is in PA, stuff is in PA, bank acct in PA, mail box in PA, all government stuff is PA, etc. Anybody asks what I am doing I am traveling for business. At least right now until you actually move, you are in the same situation.
    ^^^^^^^^ This, less is better, answer what they ask. From what I have seen and heard I'd recommend getting it done with Sheriff Weacknech at the Reading Airport if possible (and I believe it is). Walk out in 10 minutes, card in hand. He doesn't check references but I put two friends' names on there because there is a blank for it. You can find and download the form on the internet and have it already filled out when you walk in. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast