Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Transition from NC to PA

While you are still a non-resident traveling for business in PA, get your PA LTCF (license to carry firearms). The PA license makes life much simpler for having firearms while in PA, and once you have it, you are good to go when you move here until it expires and you get a new one.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Bucks county should also issue to a non resident. Montgomery county is between bucks and chester and I think they just got easier than they were but I don;t know about non resident there

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ This, less is better, answer what they ask. From what I have seen and heard I'd recommend getting it done with Sheriff Weacknech at the Reading Airport if possible (and I believe it is). Walk out in 10 minutes, card in hand. He doesn't check references but I put two friends' names on there because there is a blank for it. You can find and download the form on the internet and have it already filled out when you walk in. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
    That's how I do it and always walk out with it in hand!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wellardmac View Post
    I'm looking for guidance.

I am in the process of moving to a new job in PA. I currently reside in NC and have a North Carolina CHL.

I will be starting my job in PA in the next week or so and will be living in an extended stay hotel until my house in NC sells and my family moves north. I assume that as long as my primary residence is still in NC, then my CHL is still valid, up until my house sells and I establish residency in PA.

Is there anything else I need to be considering in this move (other than interstate travel as I drive to PA)? I've seen the PA does issue non-resident CHL, but as far as I can tell that seems to be a moot point as long as my NC permit is still valid.
    Dont do it. I moved from Lexington NC back to Reading after being away for 18 years. A day does not go by where I wish I was not back in NC. Make sure you turn in your NC vehicle plates before switching over your car insurance. I was fined $50.00 a plate for no NC insurance even though I had Penna insurance on my vehicles.Welcome to Pa. and good luck with your job. Buying a hand gun in NC is also a lot easier even though someone might have a ccw you still have to go to a ffl and do the transfer in Pa.. They also have a back door hand gun registration on new to you hand guns.You have to fill out another form for the Penna. state police.
    Last edited by Cloud; August 20th, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

(Warren County)

Welcome to PAFOA!

Watch your azz coning through DC and Maryland. They hate freedom there. Comply with federal guidelines on transporting firearms and ammunition when transiting communist states such as those.

Stay OUT of NJ and NY unless forced to go.

Get some snow tires, winter should hit sometime mid-October and you might not be too pretty good at snow and ice follies.

Please register to vote and vote against all Democrats.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Thanks Guys.

Yeah, I'll be in Philly, hence the reason for me to ask the question. I'll be living outside Philly, but driving into the city for my job... not looking forward to that drive.

So, for the non-resident permit can I apply in any county, or the county where I have temporary residence? I also see that two references are required, can they live anywhere in the country, or do they have to be in PA?
    If at all possible, drive to a nearby train station, park there, and take the train! Assuming you don't need your vehicle for work...
    - bamboomaster

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ This, less is better, answer what they ask. From what I have seen and heard I'd recommend getting it done with Sheriff Weacknech at the Reading Airport if possible (and I believe it is). Walk out in 10 minutes, card in hand. He doesn't check references but I put two friends' names on there because there is a blank for it. You can find and download the form on the internet and have it already filled out when you walk in. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks for all the guidance - very much appreciated.

So the Sheriff's office is at the airport?

I'll have go looking for the online form, so that I only have to do one drive. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for all the guidance - very much appreciated.

So the Sheriff's office is at the airport?

I'll have go looking for the online form, so that I only have to do one drive. Thanks!
    The airport is a satellite office, only open on certain days, but a lot better to get to as it is just off the main highway thru Reading.
    http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Sheri...msSection.aspx
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Dont do it. I moved from Lexington NC back to Reading after being away for 18 years. A day does not go by where I wish I was not back in NC. Make sure you turn in your NC vehicle plates before switching over your car insurance. I was fined $50.00 a plate for no NC insurance even though I had Penna insurance on my vehicles.Welcome to Pa. and good luck with your job. Buying a hand gun in NC is also a lot easier even though someone might have a ccw you still have to go to a ffl and do the transfer in Pa.. They also have a back door hand gun registration on new to you hand guns.You have to fill out another form for the Penna. state police.
    You go where your job takes you. You just have to deal with what life throws t you. I've lived in PA before, so it's a known entity for me. I agree that life is better in NC, but you do what you have to do.

Tell me more about the plate thing. I've never had to hand plates back before - normally when I change states I just get new plates and insurance and take the old ones off, what's the deal with NC? How long ago was this?

I'm surprised about the PA State Police form - I've not heard of that yet. How do they justify that?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The airport is a satellite office, only open on certain days, but a lot better to get to as it is just off the main highway thru Reading.

Thanks, it will be a hike for me to get to, as I'll be in Philly, but as long as I know what I need to take, where it is and when it's open, then hopefully I only have to do the drive once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast