Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Berks County)

Default Re: First post here, first handgun purchase (PPQ)

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I went shooting for the second time with my ppq today but was disappointed with the results. My brother is more experienced so he gave me some tips which helped improve my accuracy. I think I just need lots of practice. The gun sure does shoot nice though. It feels like a baby gun after shooting my brother's Taurus .357!
    Snap caps and dry fire, laser trainer devices and air pistols. You want to get to the point of trigger manipulation without disturbing the rest of the gun. It is a martial art. Think about the words. Don’t expect to be top gun quickly. 10,000 hours to become proficient at anything. No ammo when dry firing. None. Not on you, not around you. Lock it up. Stay awake, alert, check chamber every single time you pick up the gun. Don’t half ass this. Consequences are disastrous. Get that trigger down. Much more later on but this is first step and you will get familiar with how the gun works. I like the laser lite stuff, most of their laser sights have a training mode for use with their laser activated targets.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've already taken a safety course, and I've been reading a lot of articles today about proper stance and grip. Funny you guys are all mentioning dry firing...the last article I read mentioned this as a great way to practice grip and the "martial art" of the trigger pull. So I did that a little bit tonight, and yes, I'm safe with it. The magazines are never loaded unless I'm at the range to fire the gun, and I triple check the barrel before doing ANYTHING with the gun. Like already mentioned, safety is a must with this hobby. No concealed carry or even open carry for me for a long time. So no ammo is near the gun unless I'm at the range.

Any recommendations for laser sights that have a training mode? That sounds like something I might want to look into.

(Warren County)

Welcome to PAFOA!

Col Cooper studied war and guns his whole life. His safety wisdom is worth internalizing.

Here's a short and correct recitation..

https://www.agirlandagun.org/trainin...of-gun-safety/

Have you applied for your LTCF ?

It is a great investment .
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Somerset County)

Trigger control is very important as well as stance, grip, and sight picture. Take a class or watch some YouTube videos. I was frustrated when I first started but progressed quickly, you will to with practice.

One quick tip that will help immediately is focusing on on the front site. The back sights and Target should be blurry. Just focus on the front sight and pull the trigger smooth and the shots will go where you want them.

I remember when I first started I thought my sights were off (fixed ones) because I was shooting low. Turns out I was anticipating recoil and flinching. A slow steady trigger pull helps with this tremendously. It should almost surprise you when the gun goes off of that makes sense.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I was looking to order my first handgun online. I had my sights on a Walther PPQ M2 9mm thinking that the M1/Classic would be harder to find. I found it on gunbuyer for $430 plus shipping/tax, so all I needed was an FFL to complete the transfer.

(snip)

So I wanted to give a shout out to everyone here and thank you guys for your recommendations for Joe/Thin Blue Line in Broomall and say hey as the newest member here!
    Although everyone has an opinion, it'd be difficult to find a better "first" handgun than the one you purchased. PPQ-M2's are accurate, great trigger (especially after you've learned about trigger "reset"), easy to disassemble, cleans up just fine, etc.

Congratulations on your newest family member and thanks for posting on PAFOA.
    - bamboomaster

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123