Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Cabelas New Policy

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Powder and primers are my main reason for going to Oaks. Can usually find primers at 3 cartons of 1000 for $100 , no tax.
    I need to calculate in the entry fee if I'm gonna do that. $33 a box is what I remember the LGS selling them for. That's $2 tax per box. Oaks is $10-12 at the door and I'm a cheap bastfrugal guy. Plus I'm not gonna wait for a show when I need primers yesterday...

(Tioga County)

Uh, well, I am not so impressed with this Bass Pro thing going on.

So there is this one Cabela's in another state I go to every so often. I like to stop in there, relax in the leather chairs in the front and then browse the store for a bit. Last month I go in there and they are totally rearranging the store. The women's clothes previously were a small part of the store in the corner, now they are pushed out front in a massive section. I go to the back of the store where the gun stuff is and before they had a decent sized area of reloading stuff and ammo. It's all compacted into a space half the size.

Thing I don't understand is why all these male institutions have to pander so much to women and why we can't have our own space or shops without women all up in our face and pink camo everywhere.

I've never found any good deals at Cabela's , even before they mind-melded with Bass Pro. Their bargain cave is no bargain. They wouldn't accept my C&R for the purchase of a Russian Nagant revolver. Plus Hamburg is 60mi away. It's quite likely I'll never set foot in there again.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Warren County)

My job brings me by the store in Hamburg at least once a week. I have bought several rifles there, (being a PA resident, it's not worth messing with the pistols unless it's something REALLY special, which I haven't seen) including a
    Remmy 37 with a Unertl for about 1500. I was up there last week looking at a Rossi 62 for a stand-in for my original Winchester so my kids won't beat it up. Now, I had seen all the trigger locks and was thinking that it was pretty silly, but the world is getting pretty silly and it is their store. BUT, I assumed that a prospective buyer, possibly under the supervision of a manager etc. would be able to handle and inspect the firearms with the lock removed. Nope. Even sillier, this 62's action was closed and could not be opened with the lock on. So not only was I unable to check the trigger, I was unable to view the bore. Deal breakers by themselves, let alone the outward condition questionable, price high, and a model known to have specimens with issues. Sorry, Hell No!
    The salesmen also informed me that sales were also AS-IS going forward!!!! So if you bought a lemon that you were not able to properly inspect... ?!@!!!! Really? Makes you want to walk right out the door with that Rigby, Mannlicher,
    Parker etc. doesn't it? They will have to modify the policy or quit selling guns, I cannot see this working at all for any kind of buyer that is even slightly sensible. Mike

In another forum, we talked about this situation and to the man, we all believe this is because of the Bass Pro Shop buy out. Ever since BPS bought the store, Cabela's has gone (an continues) to go down hill. Look at their ads. Their sales aren't sales any longer.

No, you're telling me that when you buy any firearm from them, you're buying it AS IS. WOW, they really know how to kill a sale. I would stop by the Christiana store every time I went to visit my son. Now, I don't bother. I would buy ammo from them almost every month, now I don't buy anything from them.

But it would seem that those of us who are forum members are more educated on their policy changes and the general population doesn't know a lot about what's happening. Will their sales tank so much that they will stop selling firearms OR is this a ploy for them to have an excuse to stop selling firearms? Either way, we lose.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I've never found any good deals at Cabela's , even before they mind-melded with Bass Pro. Their bargain cave is no bargain. They wouldn't accept my C&R for the purchase of a Russian Nagant revolver. Plus Hamburg is 60mi away. It's quite likely I'll never set foot in there again.
    The last time I was in their bargain cave I thought I was in the city dump. It looks like a cyclone hit the place.

(Allegheny County)

Been in a "real" gun store and they frowned on the cylinder scarring from trigger pulls on the revolvers. Guess I could understand that.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Warren County)

I'm not talking about haphazardly dry firing firearms, but seriously a large trigger lock really limits what is able to be inspected on a gun. That 62 is kind of an anomaly in
    that you would probably be able to look at most other bores even with trigger lock on. I have picked up some pretty damn good deals in the bargain cave, but not everything
    in there is. I like quality, vintage pieces when it comes to firearms. When you are dealing with something that could potentially be up to 100 years or more of age, you better
    give it a pretty good going over before you buy it. It's not like buying a new Mossberg off the rack at Walmart.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by nofish37 View Post
    I'm not talking about haphazardly dry firing firearms, but seriously a large trigger lock really limits what is able to be inspected on a gun. That 62 is kind of an anomaly in
    that you would probably be able to look at most other bores even with trigger lock on. I have picked up some pretty damn good deals in the bargain cave, but not everything
    in there is. I like quality, vintage pieces when it comes to firearms. When you are dealing with something that could potentially be up to 100 years or more of age, you better
    give it a pretty good going over before you buy it. It's not like buying a new Mossberg off the rack at Walmart.
    I agree, if I am laying down my hard earned cash , I am looking at the ENTIRE gun or no even worth walking in to the store .

(Allegheny County)

Clearly the sales are being made to "most people" and not "us".

Sort of like when I needed a new bumper for my truck that had been hit.
    The dealership replaced bumper looked like crap. (blems in chrome)
    The next two bumpers ordered looked like crap. (I checked them right from the box before having them install)

I was told "Most people wouldn't even notice or care about that."
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678