Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Question about Metal Detectors in banks....

I had an interesting but uneventful experience at a bank today, I am not going to name the bank but this is what happened. I went to a bank today, one that I have never been in before. As always I am CC, but I go through the door and find myself walking right through a metal detector, and the second door would not open. Apparently it wouldn't open because the first door was not finished closing. So I am standing right in the metal detector thinking that an alarm is going to sound and I am going to be trapped until the cops show up... I seriously freaked out for a second. Anyway the door does open, no alarm goes off and I walk in, drop the paper work off and leave.

So my main question is.... Why didn't the metal detector go off? I was carrying my sig 229 and its got a lot of metal in it. I am wondering if the metal detector was not working properly or what the deal is. I didn't notice a no firearms sign in the window but I would still think that it would have done something.

I was thinking about calling the bank and alerting them, crime has gotten quite bad around are area so I really understand why they would be taking those measures, but obviously the metal detector didn't do anything when I walked in the bank....weird is all. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Question about Metal Detectors in banks....

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I had an interesting but uneventful experience at a bank today, I am not going to name the bank but this is what happened. I went to a bank today, one that I have never been in before. As always I am CC, but I go through the door and find myself walking right through a metal detector, and the second door would not open. Apparently it wouldn't open because the first door was not finished closing. So I am standing right in the metal detector thinking that an alarm is going to sound and I am going to be trapped until the cops show up... I seriously freaked out for a second. Anyway the door does open, no alarm goes off and I walk in, drop the paper work off and leave.

So my main question is.... Why didn't the metal detector go off? I was carrying my sig 229 and its got a lot of metal in it. I am wondering if the metal detector was not working properly or what the deal is. I didn't notice a no firearms sign in the window but I would still think that it would have done something.

I was thinking about calling the bank and alerting them, crime has gotten quite bad around are area so I really understand why they would be taking those measures, but obviously the metal detector didn't do anything when I walked in the bank....weird is all. What do you guys think?
    I couldn't imagine them having a metal detector at the entrance because it would go off for probably 90% of the people that go into the bank. Are they going to search everyone?
    Bazinga

(Chester County)

ive never been in a bank that had a metal detector before..

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    I couldn't imagine them having a metal detector at the entrance because it would go off for probably 90% of the people that go into the bank. Are they going to search everyone?
    That's what you would think, but obviously it didn't prevent me from entering the bank. That's why I was asking the question.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    ive never been in a bank that had a metal detector before..
    Neither have I, I almost shit myself when I found myself in that situation. I thought for sure that the cops where going to be on their way and I was going to be locked in there until they got there.

most belt buckles set them off... its hard to differentiate between a pair of steel toed boots, a belt, car keys...and someone with a weapon...if they were going to use it they would have to have a guard there, maybe it is to prevent employees from stealing things? Maybe its only used when large transfers are taking place...ie. armored car deliveries and pick ups? Maybe they got robbed and someone decided to buy one but didn't realize it would be a major pia to maintain and staff.

(Allegheny County)

one PNC branch here on the southside used to have a metal detector at the entrance. but they got rid of it. i never went in there while they had it, so i dunno if it actually worked or not.

however, i agree with sentiment above...many people would set it off if it were active (think of all the non-weapon metal things you have in your pockets...or that women carry in their purses).

it wouldn't surprise me if some places installed fake metal detector lookalike things in an attempt to keep criminals from coming in (thinking they will set if off). (kinda like some home security companies who offer a "cheapest package" security system which is composed entirely of several signs you place around your house saying you have a security system.)

who knows, it might actually work...a lot of criminals ain't the sharpest crayons in the box.

(Butler County)

I think there are several possibilities here.

One is if it is a metal detector it may no longer be active due to false alarms (going off over keys, belt buckles etc.)

Two it may just be there for looks.

Three, it may not actually be a metal detector but rather part of some other security measure. (it may set off die packs or something)

... Just my guess as ive not seen the item in question.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jud4420 View Post
    I think there are several possibilities here.

One is if it is a metal detector it may no longer be active due to false alarms (going off over keys, belt buckles etc.)

Two it may just be there for looks.

Three, it may not actually be a metal detector but rather part of some other security measure. (it may set off die packs or something)

... Just my guess as ive not seen the item in question.
    (I highlighted in the blue)

That's what I started to think about when I was reading this. That could be a possibility.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Monroe County)

I doubt it would set off die packs, the metal detector was only on the in side, and the in and out are divided so you cant cross. So die packs are not going to do any good I don't think.

You guys are probably right that they may have been fake, or not turned on or something. I am sure if a criminal intent on robbing them found themselves in that room, they would probably try and run and not enter. I don't know, maybe I should just call them tomorrow, and let them know. If they know they were off than that's fine, but if they think they are supposed to work than I would feel bad if I didn't let them know.

I have to stop over complicating things lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast