Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default FFL procedure question

Hey all, newbie question. Can a PA FFL accept a transfer directly from an individual from another state (NY) or does it have to come from another FFL? Does the PA FFL provide proof of transfer to the seller if he/she can accept a direct shipment?

I guess what I'm asking,is will a PA FFL provide a proof of sale/transfer so the seller can get the gun removed from their permit (NYS)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by truckie453; August 10th, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

Default Re: FFL procedure question

IANAL From what I understand about ny law, all guns are registered. IMO it would have to go from an FFL in ny, so it could be removed from the system. So yes, FFL to FFL. Extra paper work is extra $$.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it will keep you out of a set of matching bracelets.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Monroe County)

YES by FED law a reg person can FEDEX/UPS next day air w/ +21 sig reg a pistol.
    Of course talk to the PA FFL you would use first there is more to it.
    Your talking about NY eh using an FFL would not hurt.

I just rescued 5 from NYC. I did a invoice on letterhead showing make/model/SN is now in my books and state for them.
    It was a estate and it took 8 months because they took them to the NYPD and they sent them to me once all the hoops were jumped though.

I have a fellow FFL in NY that was willing to take the gun from them and I could just fetch the guns from him and wasn't going to charge anything. But that was too easy.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Westmoreland County)

Yes a Pa. FFL can accept a handgun from a private party in another state and do a transfer to a Pa. resident.
    Step 1. Have your FFL get a copy of their FFL to the person you are receiving the handgun from. This is to verify to the carrier that the firearm is being shipped to an FFL. USPS is
    usually ok with this. Your FFL may want his copy back as the sender is not another FFL. Besure the sender includes his full name and address, including county and zip
    zip code.
    Step 2. Upon receiving your firearm the FFL will log the weapon into his bound book as an Out-Of-State transfer.
    Step 3. You will fill out Federal form 4473 and PSP form 113 for the handgun. Be sure to have the transferring FFL include the senders information in the Section F on the PSP 113
    (relating to private transfers) In the signature box in Section F, have the FFL note Out-Of-State transfer in lieu of a signature. This will indicate the date of transfer and
    document the former location of the firearm.
    Step 4. Do PICS Check. If approved......
    Step 5. Enjoy your new toy.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    USPS is usually ok with this.
    yeaaa no
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service

FFL/FFL yes. But not from a non FFL on a handgun.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    IANAL From what I understand about ny law, all guns are registered. IMO it would have to go from an FFL in ny, so it could be removed from the system. So yes, FFL to FFL. Extra paper work is extra $$.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it will keep you out of a set of matching bracelets.
    I do not believe a PA FFL would be bound by NY law, while operating in PA, and not sending any items into NY.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I do not believe a PA FFL would be bound by NY law, while operating in PA, and not sending any items into NY.
    That may be so. How will the seller explain to ny gestapo where his registered guns are? I wouldn't like to find out how ny law works when a gun cant be produced.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    That may be so. How will the seller explain to ny gestapo where his registered guns are? I wouldn't like to find out how ny law works when a gun cant be produced.
    That is NY guy's problem, not the PA buyer's nor the PA FFL's.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    That is NY guy's problem, not the PA buyer's nor the PA FFL's.
    Correct you are. We don't know each other, however if I was buying from you, and you lived in a state like ny, and something could come back to bite you in the ass, I would bring it to your attention. I wouldn't throw you under the bus. I would rather keep another gun guy out of jail. If a few more bucks on the buyers end keeps everyone happy.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    yeaaa no
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service

FFL/FFL yes. But not from a non FFL on a handgun.
    I beg to differ: I've had several Non-FFLs send handguns to me USPS. That being said: I actually meant to type UPS. I'm so used to using USPS I slipped. Opps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast