Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Carrying at the regatta @ Point State Park

I had an interesting experience at Point State Park yesterday. A friend and I were out on a bike ride yesterday evening. I wanted to loop around the Point on our way back, around 9:00. It was the last day of the Three Rivers Regatta. There were bunches of food trucks on Liberty Avenue, and we could here a concert going on in the park. But it looked like cops were checking people entering at the main entrance, so we went around to a little-known entrance, a pedestrian tunnel under the highway that comes out behind the museum. There were a couple of minimum-wage flunkies with wands and yellow "SECURITY" T-shirts at the far side of the tunnel. I told them that we weren't going to bother coming in since we both had pistols and could just as easily go another way on our ride, but as we were riding away, he called out that we could come in if we had licenses to carry. We turned around and went back over to them. He told us, though, that a cop would need to check our licenses - that he couldn't do it himself. After waiting a couple of minutes while he went into the park office looking for a cop, I was going to leave, but then he came over and said "that's OK, you're good" and sent us over to a table with two more yellow-shirt flunkies. A flunkie girl with a wand asked me to hold out my arms. I patted my thigh pocket and told her that's where my gun was, she said "OK", and then she wanded me. The thing barely made a sound, even near my gun. It didn't pick up my friend's gun either.

The funny thing is that they never even asked to see our licenses, and they never checked the bags mounted on our bikes' luggage racks. Worst security theater I've ever seen. LOL, what a joke!

Default Re: Carrying at the regatta @ Point State Park

Yellow shirts and wands make the sheeple feel good. Did you get anything good to eat? Was the music any good?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

good to know.. I think..

(Wayne County)

Why the hell would they wand you when they know that you are carrying a firearm? Are they going to turn you away for carrying a Swiss army knife? Honestly, WTF are they thinking?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Why the hell would they wand you when they know that you are carrying a firearm? Are they going to turn you away for carrying a Swiss army knife? Honestly, WTF are they thinking?
    The same reason the TSA confiscates nail clippers from pilots and flight engineers?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Yellow shirts and wands make the sheeple feel good. Did you get anything good to eat? Was the music any good?
    We didn't go near the stage or food. We were just passing through - we just rode along the waterfront, past the fountain. They had a walk-your-bike rule (which we ignored, lol) but we wouldn't have gotten away with that at the front of the park by the concert and booths.

This kind of security cracks me up. $7.25 an hour, show up with black pants and shoes or we'll send you home, here's 15 minutes of training, now stand here for the next 8 hours. Yep, yellow shirts and wands are just awesome!

(Montgomery County)

I hate to post this because it can be Google searched but screw it, wouldn't matter anyway.

At the Philadelphia Marathon "secure area" where they illegally restrict lawful firearms (preemption/public place) I easily walked in with a Glock 26 and extra 17 round mag after getting wanted and hearing no beep. All show.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Thinking? There was no thinking going on. At that point I just wanted to follow through with the procedure because each step was more ridiculous than the last one. It was fun seeing how stupid it got. My limit was pulling the gun out of my pocket. If they had wanted me to take the gun out of my pocket for any reason, I'd have turned around and left.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I hate to post this because it can be Google searched but screw it, wouldn't matter anyway.

At the Philadelphia Marathon "secure area" where they illegally restrict lawful firearms (preemption/public place) I easily walked in with a Glock 26 and extra 17 round mag after getting wanted and hearing no beep. All show.
    Anybody with half a brain can get a firearm into Heinz Field or PNC Park. PPG Paints Arena is tough, they've got better people and procedures there.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

What they are thinking is "no one shoots up a venue with a handgun anymore".... They are likely looking for rifles and explosive pressure cookers......
    With great power comes great responsibility....