Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Leather Holster Question

Hey there all. Odd ball question on leather holsters and breaking them in. If I own the same gun in both stainless steel and blued, say a couple S&W 686, and I broke in my one leather holster with the stainless steel one, could it/should it, fit my blued version just as good? Or is it best to get a whole new holster for the blued one?

Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Leather Holster Question

Quote Originally Posted by magnumpa View Post
    Hey there all. Odd ball question on leather holsters and breaking them in. If I own the same gun in both stainless steel and blued, say a couple S&W 686, and I broke in my one leather holster with the stainless steel one, could it/should it, fit my blued version just as good? Or is it best to get a whole new holster for the blued one?

Thanks.
    IMO, finishes do not change the dimensions of the gun sufficiently to change the tolerances of an all-leather holster. Your plan sounds fine to me.

My 2¢

(Lehigh County)

Use the SS model to break in the holster and use if for either. Good plan to save extra bluing wear.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Philadelphia County)

While we are talking about leather holsters, I have a small leather pocket holster for a NAA Guardian that doesn’t fit snug anymore. Someone recommended dunking the holster in water and letting it air dry to tighten it up a little. Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    While we are talking about leather holsters, I have a small leather pocket holster for a NAA Guardian that doesn’t fit snug anymore. Someone recommended dunking the holster in water and letting it air dry to tighten it up a little. Any thoughts ?
    Saturate it with water, place gun in baggy, ppace gun in holster. The holster will dry tight to gun and baggy, baggy gives it that 1 to 2 mills of wiggle room and protects gun from moisture while holster drys.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Smile Re: Leather Holster Question

Hot water soak for an hour then let air dry,if its still too loose,repeat process and put into dryer on LOW heat ! But a perfect excuse to buy a new gun and holster ! Go for it !

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Hot water soak for an hour then let air dry,if its still too loose,repeat process and put into dryer on LOW heat ! But a perfect excuse to buy a new gun and holster ! Go for it !
    Good warning on LOW HEAT. I'd even go as far as to limit the water soak to tepid. Maybe it was the bargain no name holster I had, or my water gets too hot, but I ruined it with a hot water soak.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    Saturate it with water, place gun in baggy, ppace gun in holster. The holster will dry tight to gun and baggy, baggy gives it that 1 to 2 mills of wiggle room and protects gun from moisture while holster drys.
    index.jpg