Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Turns out, the AC is not so good for your guns . . .

I just found a rusty gun on my dresser.

It's about 2 feet from the window, and the air conditioner shoots cold air directly across where it was laying.

With the humidity we've had, what I had made was a holstered metal de-humidifier condensing unit. Chilled steel, damp air, do the math.

Most of the gun is fine (but dewy), but the barrel had sprouted rust. I dissolved the rust off but the finish on the barrel is ruined. Ordered a replacement factory barrel ($175), it's a drop-in so it should be OK.

Heads-up to the rest of you, be careful about storing your guns in the nicely chilled air, you might as well leave it out in the yard to get rained on.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Turns out, the AC is not so good for your guns . . .

Forget the Math, let's talk Physics; https://www.buildinggreen.com/news-a...r-conditioners
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

If your AC unit is too big it will do this, but you really need to know the humidity level in your house to tell.

If an AC is oversized, it will satisfy the call for cool too quickly and it won't cycle the air in the house enough to dehumidify. If this is happening, you'll also likely have condensation at your air registers and potential mold issues in your ducts.

All a room dehumidifier is is an AC unit that doesn't dump hot air outside, and never has a temperature call to satisfy - so it just keeps running.

(Adams County)

The gun was in the direct path of the cold discharge air. With the A/C on, the metal temp was lowered 15-20 deg. When the unit cycled off, and the warmer "average" air temp, the gun was below the dew point and condensate formed. If it had been located farther away out of the direct path of the cold air, there would have been less, or no condensate on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I just found a rusty gun on my dresser.

It's about 2 feet from the window, and the air conditioner shoots cold air directly across where it was laying.

With the humidity we've had, what I had made was a holstered metal de-humidifier condensing unit. Chilled steel, damp air, do the math.

Most of the gun is fine (but dewy), but the barrel had sprouted rust. I dissolved the rust off but the finish on the barrel is ruined. Ordered a replacement factory barrel ($175), it's a drop-in so it should be OK.

Heads-up to the rest of you, be careful about storing your guns in the nicely chilled air, you might as well leave it out in the yard to get rained on.
    Glocks Dont Rust !