Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA training

(Dauphin County)

Default LEOSA training

Why does pa make it so difficult to get LEOSA certified when everything they want you to do isn’t required under LEOSA? And my former agency doesn’t allow photo copying of my credentials

(Perry County)

Default Re: LEOSA training

My Sheriff asked my I keep getting my LTCF when I'm covered under LEOSA. I told him being retired means I have to jump through a few hoops to maintain my certification. If I don't get to it within the year, I'm still covered in state.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Yeah,I dont like jumping thru those hoops either !

(Allegheny County)

Agree with the above, I have my retired creds from WA state. Go through the hoops each year to shoot the LEOSA Retired Officer qual. Last couple of times I have shot it at A&S Indoor Range in Youngwood - guy that runs it is a good guy and squared away. I've also qualified at my old department in WA state when I have gone home to visit my parents - gives me a chance to see how things are running at my old P.D.

This year I might shoot the course at Keystone Shooting Range where I'm a member at. Coming up in September.

I do keep my PA LTCF too.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by kb3djs View Post
    Why does pa make it so difficult to get LEOSA certified when everything they want you to do isn’t required under LEOSA? And my former agency doesn’t allow photo copying of my credentials
    It's not hard to get qualified under LEOSA, unless your department is doing something bizarre. What credentials do you need to be copied? All they have to do is issue you a photo ID......if they feel like doing it. Nothing forces them to issue it to you though!

My gripe with PA is they do not adhere to the definition of firearm as laid out in the Federal Law. No where in LEOSA does it say "handgun".......instead it says "firearm", which means ANY firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun). If you look up the definition in the Federal Law you will see what I mean.

According to LEOSA, the retired officer needs to qualify with a firearm (we'll say handgun), and then he is okay to carry ANY handgun, not just the one used for qualification. However, PA has the opinion that if the controls of the handgun are different (Sig vs Glock), then the retired officer must qualify with both. And, if might want to carry a revolver, then that is another qualification.

PA also makes me note the make and model of the retired officers handguns. Not required under LEOSA.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; August 1st, 2018 at 04:54 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Be glad you don't live in NJ, they make those guys qualify twice a year!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    It's not hard to get qualified under LEOSA, unless your department is doing something bizarre. What credentials do you need to be copied? All they have to do is issue you a photo ID......if they feel like doing it. Nothing forces them to issue it to you though!

My gripe with PA is they do not adhere to the definition of firearm as laid out in the Federal Law. No where in LEOSA does it say "handgun".......instead it says "firearm", which means ANY firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun). If you look up the definition in the Federal Law you will see what I mean.

According to LEOSA, the retired officer needs to qualify with a firearm (we'll say handgun), and then he is okay to carry ANY handgun, not just the one used for qualification. However, PA has the opinion that if the controls of the handgun are different (Sig vs Glock), then the retired officer must qualify with both. And, if might want to carry a revolver, then that is another qualification.

PA also makes me note the make and model of the retired officers handguns. Not required under LEOSA.
    The guy that's been doing mine quit noting all of that a couple of years ago. Said it was no longer needed.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Luzerne County)

Still required. It's on the bottom of the acknowledgment form. Semi-auto or revolver, make/model, type of ammo and number of rounds/COF.

(Luzerne County)

This is the old form, which we no longer have to use or submit.

(Dauphin County)

To steve didn’t you read my posting? I said that my former agency doesn’t allow me or anyone else to photo copy my credentials for any reason reguardless of what it’s needed for

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast