Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Loaded Firearm Question

I was just reading about the shooting that happened in the church parking lot. It was a drug deal gone bad.
    Officers were called to the 200 block of 3rd Ave. Alley in Altoona Thursday night. We're told that's when they found David Alan Hoover Jr., 58, laying in the Bethany Lutheran Church parking lot with major injuries to his neck, upper chest and facial area. Hoover was taken to UPMC Altoona where he was later declared deceased.
    The shooter is charged with Criminal Homicide, Flight to Avoid Apprehension, Tampering with Evidence, Theft by Unlawful Taking, Carrying a Loaded Gun in a Vehicle, and Criminal Conspiracy to Deliver Cocaine.
    My question is, is having a loaded firearm in your car a crime? Thank You. John.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Loaded Firearm Question

Assuming you're talking about a PA resident, in PA, if you have a valid LTCF you're good to go.

(Carbon County)

My question is, is having a loaded firearm in your car a crime?
    if you don't have an LTCF it is
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Schwittek View Post
    The shooter is charged with Criminal Homicide, Flight to Avoid Apprehension, Tampering with Evidence, Theft by Unlawful Taking, Carrying a Loaded Gun in a Vehicle, and Criminal Conspiracy to Deliver Cocaine.
    My question is, is having a loaded firearm in your car a crime? Thank You. John.
    Unless a person has an LTCF (License To Carry Firearm), then, yes, it is illegal to have a loaded handgun in a car. I believe it is illegal for anyone, even if they have an LTCF, to have a loaded long gun in their car. This is pertinent because I believe the shooting you mention was carried out with a shotgun.

So, yes, that charge seems to be legitimate. The charge I found interesting is "Flight to Avoid Apprehension". How do you define "flight" in this regard? Is leaving the scene of any crime considered flight? Does it have to be an active chase where it is obvious you are trying to outrun the police?

(Susquehanna County)

And with drugs involved any bets that it shall not be referred to the Feds for prosecution under GCA '68?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Franklin County)

The alleged murder weapon was a shotgun.

The correct charge if a handgun were used by a non-licensee would be 6106 (Firearms not to be carried without a license), and the inclusion of a vehicle in the incident would be irrelevant to the charge.