Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question 9mm personal defense ammo

Can anyone recommend personal defense ammo? I currently carry a Springfield XD mod 2 which shoots any ammo I run through it without a malfunction.
    Thanks for your help.

Default Re: 9mm personal defense ammo

In my extensive research into this subject which consisted of reading and watching a few Youtube channels who understand the proper testing protocols I came to the conclusion that Federal HST is or at least was at the time ( 3-4 years ago or so) the most consistent 9mm hollow point SD ammunition on the market.

I prefer the 124gr standard pressure load.

In all reality any LE issue 9mm Hollow point like Gold Dot's or Whinchester Ranger will get the job done. Another reason why I prefer the HST is it comes in 50 round box's and can be found for $20.00 per box which is rare of quality SD ammunition.

Of course my options are based on my own personal findings and like anything else in the world of guns are subjective.

(Bucks County)

Nothing wrong with Federal HST.

Another good approach is to go down to your local WaWa and ask your cop(s) what ammo they use. Might well be HST, maybe in 40 cal.

I've always felt any quality personal defense round THAT I COULD SHOOT FREQUENTLY AND AS WELL AS OTHER AMMO would work fine. But I've also felt more comfortable answering the question "Why did you choose that ammo?" with "Because our local (or state) police use it.". Especially if asked in a legal situation.

(Allegheny County)

I'm carrying Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. but I'm going to check out Hodgie's recommendation on Federal HST since it comes in 50 rounds for about $20. My last box of Critical defense was about $24 for 20 rounds.

(Washington County)

I have found this to be a helpful resource: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...sts/#standards

After reviewing the data there, I switched my 9mm carry load from gold dot 124gr +p to hst 124gr +p. Hornady loads tested there are consistently underwhelming, imo.

One thing about the lucky gunner tests is that they do not list values for energy foot pounds. I did my own calculations with their data and took that into my personal considerations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I have found this to be a helpful resource: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...sts/#standards

After reviewing the data there, I switched my 9mm carry load from gold dot 124gr +p to hst 124gr +p. Hornady loads tested there are consistently underwhelming, imo.

One thing about the lucky gunner tests is that they do not list values for energy foot pounds. I did my own calculations with their data and took that into my personal considerations as well.

Hornady makes a great bullets but puts together mediocre loads. Other companies like Percision One get much better performance using Hornady bullets in their own loads.

(Bucks County)

I'll jump on the bandwagon. 124gr +P HST is my preferred carry round.

Can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers either.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb D View Post
    Can anyone recommend personal defense ammo? I currently carry a Springfield XD mod 2 which shoots any ammo I run through it without a malfunction.
    Thanks for your help.
    What are your expected threats? Expected ranges? Do you live or work in the city? Do you live or work in the country? What are your expected ranges? Where would you expect most of your self defense situations to occur?

Once you figure this out you can decide what sort of rounds you want to carry.

Personally I prefer a slower and heavier round. Unless you're going to lung shoot the Strasbourg tests don't apply. No normal handgun round travels fast enough to create "hydro shock".

Edit - down below someone recommended Precision One. I think that their 147gr hollow point might be a nice candidate.
    Last edited by GeneCC; August 25th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Hornady makes a great bullets but puts together mediocre loads. Other companies like Percision One get much better performance using Hornady bullets in their own loads.
    Hornady defense loads tend to go light on recoil and muzzle flash. They market for after dark encounters. They are targeting some rounds to women.

They had some quality issues. Those are gone. I've never had a problem with a Hornady round.

Thanks for the word on Precision One. They're offering "380 ACP" +P. Ain't no such round. They responsibly warn shooters to only use them in Glock 47s. Makarov 380 conversions are probably also safe. If you want to put some hand surgeon's kid through college, use it in your LCP.

The 9mm 147 Gr hollow point sounds interesting. I think that they'd be a nice round for the Glock 9mm.

My go to is speer gold dot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast