Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia CCW & Marijuna Use?

deleted question answered
    Last edited by TomHardy; September 2nd, 2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: deleted question answered

Default Re: Philadelphia CCW & Marijuna Use?

My guess is you will be denied. The questions are intentional so you are denied for lying or being honest.
    You will just have to wait and see.

If denied (likely IMO), you can appeal through their kangaroo court set up to run the clock out on your legal options. Some people have had luck going through this process, and the denial is reversed, but it's a crap shoot. Your best option (and costly) would be to contact a qualified firearms attorney if denied and go through the court system because you only have 30 days to appeal the court of common pleas. If Philly's permit court (or whatever they call it) doesn't get you through in 30 days, and you are again denied your legal options are gone. You would need to wait one year, apply again, and start over.

(Philadelphia County)

Interesting, I cannot find an instance of anyone being denied for this purpose online, it seems like the main reason is people not reporting arrests in their youth over various things. they only asked if i ever used it, i said 2 years ago. this use was in a country where it was legal, so i am curious how they could deny a right on this fact without asking for more info.

I am very pessimistic but I do not mind paying for a lawyer and going through the appeal process if denied. a denial reason on the state form is "unlawful use" my use was lawful so i would be curious how they could prove an unlawful use.

There has to be at least one person on here who has a philly ltcf and admited to MJ use.. right??

Thanks for the feedback!

(Berks County)

They can always deny you on a character clause. Even if something isn't illegal, they can still claim that.

If you were never arrested or in the system for previous drug use during college or whatever, You don't disclose that info.

I hope you are correct. But my time here has shown Philly denies most everyone unless you are squeaky clean. Admitting to recent drug use (two years isn't that long ago), is an easy denial since drug users/addicts are currently a legitimate legal denial, not to mention the character clause.I understand your argument. Logic doesn't likely play into Philly's decision. If it were not for the law no one in Philly would have a LTCF. They deny as a rule not an exception. I'm being a touch unfair, but not by much.

Good Luck!

(Philadelphia County)

I will keep you all posted then on what happens. my appeal would be something like it is a "crime to lie on the form, to elaborate I used it on vacation while in a country where it was legal" would just be a pain in the ass to do the process but whatever.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I hope you are correct. But my time here has shown Philly denies most everyone unless you are squeaky clean. Admitting to recent drug use (two years isn't that long ago), is an easy denial since drug users/addicts are currently a legitimate legal denial, not to mention the character clause.I understand your argument. Logic doesn't likely play into Philly's decision. If it were not for the law no one in Philly would have a LTCF. They deny as a rule not an exception. I'm being a touch unfair, but not by much.

Good Luck!
    So you know the inner workings of the Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit by what you have read on here? You know that they deny to issue as a rule, by reading the handful of stories of folks who have had issues on here?

How is one who lives diagonally across the state, an expert on Philadelphia? Won’t visit a neighborhood, but knows it’s a shithole?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    So you know the inner workings of the Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit by what you have read on here? You know that they deny to issue as a rule, by reading the handful of stories of folks who have had issues on here?

How is one who lives diagonally across the state, an expert on Philadelphia? Won’t visit a neighborhood, but knows it’s a shithole?
    Your jack boots fitting too snug today?

You quoted me how I know. I stated as much. I've been here 10 years, and the stories are far beyond a few. People being denied for parking tickets. Having their LTCF's revoked for being the victims of crime. The stories are all to common. Clearly I have no direct personal experience, they're my opinions. That's what we do here.

Too bad all the Philly dwellers (like yourself) cannot help the guy out with positive stories about how the Philly PD will work hard at issuing within the guidelines of 6109 instead of circumventing it all costs. Why don't you head on down to the PGPU with some of your clout and help the brother out? OR provide evidence where the PGPU is trying harder to comply with the PA constitution without the insistence of a court order?
    Last edited by God's Country; August 2nd, 2018 at 05:39 PM.

(Bucks County)

OP, and others who follow, read the questions AS IT PERTAINS TO YOU! It didn’t ask if you smoked or ingest MJ. It asked if you used it. To wax your car? No. To shave you head? No.

Always answer in your best interests, as long as you don’t break any laws. It is not your fault their question was vague!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast