Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default LC9S Pro/EC9S: Reviews, opinions, street pricing

Tell me whatcha think. I'd like to get into an LC9S Pro over the EC9S due to the lack of a thumb safety but wouldn't say no to the E if the price and availability was right. I'm looking to get one for ankle or possible pocket carry in the warm and humid months and possibly when a little more discretion is key. I have 4 shops within a 45 minute drive and Oaks this weekend, hence, my street price inquiry. FWIW, has anyone seen any recently at Oaks? I remember a table having a few different ones including some of the Talo/Davidson's funky color ones but I cannot recall the $$$.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: LC9S Pro/EC9S: Reviews, opinions, street pricing

I have the LC9S Pro and have never had any issues with it. I find the recoil to sting mildly, so I added a Hogue rubber grip sleeve to it and that's helped a lot. My buddy got one too and loves his as well.

In my experience, with some exceptions, gun prices at Oaks aren't that great. Many of the retailers that travel from rural areas where they are the only shop in town and can get away with higher prices often don't adjust those prices to match the greater amount of competition they now face at gun shows and the metro area in general.

I've seen the EC9S new at The Bunker in Warminster for $249, They often have used LC9s for $200-$225. I haven't been to Tanner's in a while, but I'm sure they're in the same ballpark.

(Washington County)

I shot a few magazines through one at A&S pistol range, earlier in the year. I found the trigger to be way too light, and I was all together disappointed with it, in comparison to the glock 43 (which I also shot for the first time that day.)

(Allegheny County)

If I had to choose between the two; I would pick the LC9S Pro any and every day. I don't want an external safety or a magazine disconnect on my EDC pistol. The cost between the two doesn’t matter to me; the features that I want/don’t want on my carry gun are what are important.

Good luck with you decision.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Chester County)

Just call Tanner's

(Chester County)

do the front & rear sites fall off the ec9 like they do with the lc9s?

(York County)

I bought - to be an EDC - and promptly sold an LC9S Pro. Why?

1) PITA breakdown. Didn't like the whole need to 'push out the pin' versus just flip a lever

2) I found it prone to jamming (stovepiping most notably). None of my other pistols do that (so it's not limp-wristing or other user-error, I think). If the gun got AT ALL dirty, it tended to jam (and I don't mean abused and neglected, I mean you had about 50 shots before things got funky...). This was with brass-case good-quality ammo. If I used steel-case the gun was nigh-unshootable. Yes, maybe I got a 'bad apple'. No, I didn't have a gunsmith look at it or send it back or anything. It was not worth investing money/time into.

3) Accuracy was terrible, even given the gun's size. That might be the sights, of which I was not a fan. Example: I can run a target out to 15 yards (my typical 'tactical engagement' shooting distance) and put a full mag through the center ring with my VP9. I can have everything in the inner 2-3 rings (depending on how careful I am and how much coffee I drank that morning) with my smaller M&P Shields (9mm and .45). With the LC9, I could do the same and be lucky to have everything on the paper (10" square targets).

4) I always use the 'extended' mag with compact guns, as I like to have my pinky on the butt (and an extra round or two never hurts), and find they conceal just as well (for me, as a larger person). The extended mag for the LC9 was finicky, hard to seat, and fit poorly.

FWIW, #2 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't 'do' guns that jam.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

I learned that 2 things tonight: One, the Pro is quite difficult to come by. The only one I found was a rental. Everything else was either a standard LC9S, an LCP or the EC9S. I then learned that the reason being the Pro is replaced by the EC9S. So when I found one for $220, it followed me home tonight. Reviews and opinion to come.

(Bucks County)

Most of my collection is H&K, but when I need better concealment, it's my LC9S Pro, either pocket, ankle, or wherever else I can hide it! Sure, it's a little snappy... but what to you expect from a very thin, very light 9mm?
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I bought - to be an EDC - and promptly sold an LC9S Pro. Why?

1) PITA breakdown. Didn't like the whole need to 'push out the pin' versus just flip a lever

2) I found it prone to jamming (stovepiping most notably). None of my other pistols do that (so it's not limp-wristing or other user-error, I think). If the gun got AT ALL dirty, it tended to jam (and I don't mean abused and neglected, I mean you had about 50 shots before things got funky...). This was with brass-case good-quality ammo. If I used steel-case the gun was nigh-unshootable. Yes, maybe I got a 'bad apple'. No, I didn't have a gunsmith look at it or send it back or anything. It was not worth investing money/time into.

3) Accuracy was terrible, even given the gun's size. That might be the sights, of which I was not a fan. Example: I can run a target out to 15 yards (my typical 'tactical engagement' shooting distance) and put a full mag through the center ring with my VP9. I can have everything in the inner 2-3 rings (depending on how careful I am and how much coffee I drank that morning) with my smaller M&P Shields (9mm and .45). With the LC9, I could do the same and be lucky to have everything on the paper (10" square targets).

4) I always use the 'extended' mag with compact guns, as I like to have my pinky on the butt (and an extra round or two never hurts), and find they conceal just as well (for me, as a larger person). The extended mag for the LC9 was finicky, hard to seat, and fit poorly.

FWIW, #2 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't 'do' guns that jam.
    ***Update***

The above kinda echoes my first time experience with it tonight. Twice in ~100 rounds the slide failed to go back into battery with a round still in the mag. The unpainted front site is difficult to see even in a well lit range. I am in no way blaming the gun but I expected better accuracy. The slide release is extremely tight. And the mags are finicky to seat. If I didn't pay only $235 for it I would probably hate it. But even still I'm debating keeping it versus trading it. I wanna rent a Shield before I make any changes, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast