Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA training

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: LEOSA training

Quote Originally Posted by kb3djs View Post
    Yes I have retired credentials w/badge and my former agency policy is that no one is allowed to copy them not even me. So as long as I carry their credentials I have to follow agency policy concerning photo copying of them. The only one I believe that can authorize photo copying is the director or the secretary of defense.

You've been asked a couple of times- why is copying your ID even relevant? It is not required as part of the certification. The instructor needs to see it, but no one make a copy
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Dauphin County)

How do I contact the officer to find out when the next class is?

(Montgomery County)

Yes I have retired credentials w/badge and my former agency policy is that no one is allowed to copy them not even me. So as long as I carry their credentials I have to follow agency policy concerning photo copying of them. The only one I believe that can authorize photo copying is the director or the secretary of defense.
    We are trying to understand your situation so we can help you if possible.
    Being evasive doesn't help us help you.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

To steve didn’t you read my posting? I said that my former agency doesn’t allow me or anyone else to photo copy my credentials for any reason reguardless of what it’s needed for
    He did read it. Photocopying your credentials isn't necessary. You WILL need to be issued RETIRED credentials from your agency though.

(Luzerne County)

I frequently attend a LE Firearms Instructor Seminar (IALEFI) in NJ, and the main guy there has been trying to get the hollow point ban (for retired LE living in NJ) resolved for year, but........it's been a no-go. LEOSA does allow the carrying of HP ammo, but apparently there is no exception in NJ law for this, so the retired LEOSA officer living in NJ could find himself jammed up.

The mag ban is another issue that needs to be addressed, not just for LE but for everyone. However, LEOSA would make that path easier for LE. Non-LE will have a tougher battle.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; August 2nd, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

my understanding is that the hollow point or ammo rules for LEOSA only apply to active duty LEO.. not retired.. they must follow the rules for civilians.

Advice for NJ from a friend who is a Police Commissioner, instructor and very active with National LEO organizations.. "carry Hornady Critical Defense.. they are not legally considered hollow points"

in my 1911 I carry Fort Scott tumbling SD ammo. absolutely not a hollow point :-)
    While there is a higher chance for over penetration than a HP.. I do believe most if not all of the lethality, energy, of the projectile is gone if it were to over penetrate
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

I just checked in with a retired friend of mine who still lives in N.J. He advises the A.G's office says N.J. statute trumps the federal law and they recommend carrying the non-hollow point hollow point (Critical Defense, Etc.).
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Luzerne County)

That is only for retired LE living in NJ. Active or retired LE (covered by LEOSA) can carry HP ammo. The in-state issue is stupid and NJ would loose any attempt at a conviction, but the retired LE would have to foot a hefty attorney fee. The State Law does not trump Federal Law......but NJ refuses to admit it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    my understanding is that the hollow point or ammo rules for LEOSA only apply to active duty LEO.. not retired.. they must follow the rules for civilians.

Advice for NJ from a friend who is a Police Commissioner, instructor and very active with National LEO organizations.. "carry Hornady Critical Defense.. they are not legally considered hollow points"

in my 1911 I carry Fort Scott tumbling SD ammo. absolutely not a hollow point :-)
    While there is a higher chance for over penetration than a HP.. I do believe most if not all of the lethality, energy, of the projectile is gone if it were to over penetrate
    Any active LEO and any retired LEOSA qualified LEO not living in NJ can carry HP ammo. The restriction was addressed in the 2010 amendment to LEOSA.

For active duty LE;
    § 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers
    (e) As used in this section, the term "firearm"--
    (1) except as provided in this subsection, has the same meaning as in section 921 of this title;
    (2) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act;

For qualified retired LE;
    § 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers
    (e) As used in this section--(1) the term "firearm"--
    (A) except as provided in this paragraph, has the same meaning as in section 921 of this title;
    (B) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act;

(Montgomery County)

Steve is correct about the hollow point exemption for non NJ residents carrying under LEOSA.
    But unfortunately as with all things NJ, any gun related encounter with a NJ officer is likely to be confused and misinformed.
    As such it is still the smart play to avoid the issue by carrying FMJ or Hornady.
    Also worth noting that Hornady Critical Duty is the heavier hitting ammo and it is preferable to Hornady Critical Defense in my opinion.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast