Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default How Late Is Too Late?

Listen, as you all can see from my posts I am pretty neurotic about this whole proposition and trying to take this adventure in easily managed chunks. I'm not trying to climb in a tree and set up a stand, I'm ground hunting by setting still and watching, maybe a blind if I can haul it in easily and close to my exit and with a chair. I'm not looking for natural funnels, scat, scrapes and all that..... yet....

I'm not doing a lot of things that you all do because I need to do this in easily digested chunks. I likely wont see a damn thing with my luck but at least I am out there learning and trying. I am ambitious so that is a good thing.

Anyway, the odds of me sitting on the ground at 4:30 in the dark fumbling to a spot I can't see or know is there just wont happen this year. I know I am going against all that is holy but I am realistic. So, my question becomes if I get to SGL at say 6-7, yes I may be missing all the prime hunt time but again I am a realist and have to start somewhere. Anyway, if I arrive then and hike quietly to a spot, will I be pissing off every other person there? I mean, it is public land so I have every right to be there whenever I want...legally of course. Or am I setting myself up to get beat on?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How Late Is Too Late?

Some people enjoy the movement of other hunters because it can flush game towards them. I wouldn't worry about what other people think. It's not like you're bringing a boom box to blast AC/DC at 0600. You're quietly hiking at a reasonable time to start hunting. And public land is just that - PUBLIC! Hence other people will be there. If they don't like that... well then they need to start saving to buy their own property.

Then again I'm only slightly more experienced than you so I may be going against all that is holy too.

(Monroe County)

I always hear that opening shot but never made one. 0800-0900 seems to be happy hour.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Most PA public land has access points from parking lots, often gated roads that were used to log the area in the past, so you have an entrance/exit pathway that is used by a lot of people.

The PAGC and DCNR maps of game lands and state forests often show these roads. Check out the area you are thinking of hunting and look for such a location.

This gives you a chance to go in earlier as walking a road is very different from blindly walking through the woods.

Visit these spots before the season and walk in looking for a spot you can sit and see somewhat off the trail. Blown over trees make good concealment and often a shooting rest too.

Pack a good lunch and snacks/drinks and sit all day. Try to sit facing the wind, move slowly and enjoy the woods.

sooner or later a deer will wander by if you sit still and quiet. Might not be the first time but you will learn a place and get comfortable with a few places.

Squirrels can sound like a heard of deer, get used to it.

Trust your orange but don't over do it, I personally use FO camo vest over camo clothing with a FO hat. Avoid FO gloves it is like wearing semaphore flags highlighting hand movement.

Most important, bring a good seat, a foam pad and any suitable rock or log is a place to sit and you need to sit still!

A word on FO, I have attempted with both film and a digital cameras to capture a small hint of orange that I can plainly see with my eye. the amount I could see was never enough to get on film or media, the orange works andyou don;lt need to dress head to toe in it!
    Last edited by wis bang; August 1st, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

(Perry County)

One of my deer was crack of dawn, two were mid-morning, the one in the hunting story was mid-afternoon. My archery deer was mid-morning. Better to get there at a time that works for you than not get out all. Besides, if you're just getting settled down, the guys that have been out there for 4 or 5 hours are getting fidgety. Some are moving around for pee breaks. Some are heading back to the vehicle to head home and come back out in the evening.

I can tell you I've seen more deer after a steady rain ends than any other time. It's a great time to hunt.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

You only have to get to your spot before the deer does.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Lancaster County)

Once bow season kicks off I usually leave work a tad early and sit in my stand till dusk. Having a trail cam to establish some patterns of deer traffic helps, but you would be surprised how quickly nature returns to its quiet once you setup.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

You all are so helpful and I appreciate your comments. Indeed, it is better to go late than not at all. I plan on scouting a little prior to the season and find some spots. I have 4 or 5 SGL's to check out but the one I have been to seems like there are 4 places to park, trails in, by power lines which opens that access, etc. Parking nearby, well, we will see but yes I will try to find a few spots regardless of when I get in the woods. I have the maps to see terrain and special markings.

What does this mean?:

A word on FO, I have attempted with both film and a digital cameras to capture a small hint of orange that I can plainly see with my eye. the amount I could see was never enough to get on film or media, the orange works andyou don;lt need to dress head to toe in it!

You are taking about orange during the required time periods like overlaps and rifle I assume but what does the camera comment mean?

The way I figure is everyone says you need to be in deep to get the big ones but at the same time if I am in deep I wont shoot it because it's too far to drag out. I'm still spry enough to go in but not dragging over 100 lbs 2 miles ha ha! Anyone with a suggestion on a homemade drag or commercial one and what works best as far as position on your body, like I hear carry it high on your body and get the deer up off the ground to drag easier? I will have a light backpack with some stuff so keep that in mind but I hear a harness works well but also where do you hook up to the deer? Head and mouth? Any help is appreciated.

I have a foam pad and a seat warmer, also a stool if it is manageable to bring in but hope for a stump, base of a tree, rock, something with back support so I don't have to haul stuff in. I think most comfortable would be at the base of a tree on a stool with my pad and shooting sticks.

I'd love to set up a camera but don't trust people not to screw with it.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

They're easier to drag if you get the front feet up over the head.

You can either buy something like that or just use your rope & a stick.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    You all are so helpful and I appreciate your comments. Indeed, it is better to go late than not at all. I plan on scouting a little prior to the season and find some spots. I have 4 or 5 SGL's to check out but the one I have been to seems like there are 4 places to park, trails in, by power lines which opens that access, etc. Parking nearby, well, we will see but yes I will try to find a few spots regardless of when I get in the woods. I have the maps to see terrain and special markings.

What does this mean?:

You are taking about orange during the required time periods like overlaps and rifle I assume but what does the camera comment mean?

The way I figure is everyone says you need to be in deep to get the big ones but at the same time if I am in deep I wont shoot it because it's too far to drag out. I'm still spry enough to go in but not dragging over 100 lbs 2 miles ha ha! Anyone with a suggestion on a homemade drag or commercial one and what works best as far as position on your body, like I hear carry it high on your body and get the deer up off the ground to drag easier? I will have a light backpack with some stuff so keep that in mind but I hear a harness works well but also where do you hook up to the deer? Head and mouth? Any help is appreciated.

I have a foam pad and a seat warmer, also a stool if it is manageable to bring in but hope for a stump, base of a tree, rock, something with back support so I don't have to haul stuff in. I think most comfortable would be at the base of a tree on a stool with my pad and shooting sticks.

I'd love to set up a camera but don't trust people not to screw with it.
    I'm trying to point pot how effective the FO is. I used to sit near a trail and could pick up someone coming three ridges away but could never get the orange on film/media as the eye is still the best camera. If you can see a hat hundreds of yards away, too much orange makes you visible to the deer when you move, that big off white blob just doesn't belong You will see anyone coming through.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast