Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How Late Is Too Late?

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks! I'll only wear it when and where required and set still ha ha!

As far as that drag, you have field dressed it so that will all get dirty inside? I get every drag will be like that unless you are on it's side somehow? I know, I'm planning for success and I haven''t been in the woods yet ha ha! Slow down! I just need to think of these things.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Going uphill from your car makes dragging down a breeze. (unless you shoot a little fuzzy face.)

I shot my largest buck last rifle season on public property. I was exactly 410 yards off of the road according to Google Maps. The buck was bedded a mere 100 yards from the road on a ridge in the thickest nastiest stuff you could imagine with 5 doe. Having spent some time (19 years) hunting this property, I know that if the deer are disturbed from the road side by hunters walking in, that they will do 1 of 3 things. Circle around the hunters and cross the road into a large swamp. Break to the west across a 200 yard wide field to another thick spot, or run the edge of the field to get to a stand of large pines about 400 yards off the road. I set up between the pines and the swamp. If deer are kicked from the pines, I see them as they try to make it to the swamp and vice versa. I wanted to hunt with an old buddy of mine, and he couldn't arrive at first light which was about 7:05 in my neck of the woods on the 3rd day of the rifle season. He indicated that he would arrive around 8:30. I purposely walked in on a path which led to the large field. Walked it's entire length right down the middle (and unknowingly within 100 yards of my bedded buck) and then cut in to my spot. Deer will let you by without so much as the twitch of an ear if they think you aren't going to disturb them. My buddy arrived at his designated time and at 8:40 i heard the freight train coming. The doe all passed on their way to the pines. A thirty second break in the action and then I heard another coming. Shot him at 30 yards. Minutes later my buddy arrived and helped me with the hard work. A few points to be gathered from all of this. I tell people I was lucky and to a certain extent that is true. I didn't have any cameras out here, I had never seen this buck. As a matter of fact, I hadn't set foot on this property since the previous year's muzzle loader season. I DID have some idea of what the deer might do though if bumped from either direction. I have taken probably a dozen deer from almost the exact spot where I sat and only one or two were from organized drives. Some archery, some rifle and some muzzle loader. Anyway, the buck on this day ran INTO the wind and to within 30 yards of me. I hadn't showered with scent free soap or shampoo. I was wearing a solid blaze orange vest and hat. I wasn't in a stand, but simply sitting on a downed log pretty much out in the open. Long story short, having no experience at all, you could walk into the woods and shoot a whitetail. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week. As far as the "time" thing goes, I certainly never complain about someone walking in toward my spot especially when I am hunting alone. Many an unwitting hunter has driven deer my direction. Most importantly, have fun, enjoy the woods and be safe. Who knows, maybe a few will come by you.

(Lehigh County)

There is a fold up plastic thing called a "Deer Sleigh-R". It is essentially a piece of heavy plastic with grommets that allow you to strap the deer to it. Makes dragging a whole lot easier.

As far as when to get in the woods, last year I shot a 10 pointer on public land, less than 5 minutes after getting to my location at 7:15am on opening day. I got into camp very late the night before and was running behind in the morning. I was still hiking in when the sun was up. Got to my location and barely had time to start getting situated before the deer showed up. Bang! 50 yard shot, and my hunt was over.

As far as scouting goes, nothing beats actually getting into the woods to scout terrain, however you can significantly narrow down where you might want to look by looking at both Topo and LIDAR maps of the areas.
    I think most people know what Topo maps look like and how to read them, however it is sometimes difficult to find the little draws and funnels with them. This is where LIDAR really shines. LIDAR shows a shaded relief map of the ground contour.
    Both topo maps and LIDAR projections are available for free here:
    http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/ImageryNavigator/

On the Display Imagery drop box, all the way at the bottom of the list is Topographic Map and Statewide LIDAR Hillshade.
    Between the two of these map types you should be able to at least get an idea of where the natural funnels and areas are. It will also allow you to plot your track into the woods so you have a reasonable expectation of getting where you want to go.
    Statewide Color 2017 will also show high def satellite images. Good to compare to the Topo and Lidar to see what the terrain actually looks like.
    Between those three maps you should be able to locate an area that would likely be good to hunt before ever setting foot in the woods.

I wouldn't count on finding something to sit on in a spot you want to hunt. Those two things never seem to be co-located.
    A folding 3 leg stool like this one (Folding Stool) is relatively light and the 3 leg design means it will be stable on most ground. I have had one in my pack for the last 10 years and I end up using it almost every time I ground hunt.

Hunting from the ground is not an impossible task. You just need to take a bit more care in setting up.

Scent is going to play a bigger part than if you are 20' up in a tree. My approach is to go out in a light t-shirt and a pair of nylon sweatpants for the hike in. This ensures that if I sweat during the hike that:
    1) I can get out of the wet/sweated clothes so I don't get cold
    2) Get all of that scent off of me before I start to hunt.
    Once at the place I am going to hunt I will strip off the shirt and sweatpants and put them in a ziplock freezer back. Then I will get dressed with my actual hunting gear. You would be surprised how much warmer you stay when your base layers are 100% dry.

Set up with your back against a tree. In addition to providing a backrest for sitting, the tree helps obscure your movement somewhat.

Try to set up with some cover between a deer path and your location. One of my favorite hunting spots has a huge boulder (like Chevy Tahoe sized) that I put between me and the game trail. I can see the animals moving along the trail and when they walk behind the boulder it gives me an opportunity to raise my gun and get ready for the shot. A bush, some trees, etc... all work in that purpose.

Don't try to get right on the trail. If you have a rifle, 30-50 yards is an easy shot. Stay back a bit, it will make you a little less visible than if you are 5-10 yards off the trail.

The rest of it you will pick up in time. Just get out there and enjoy the woods.

(Lancaster County)

I am not sure 100% how PA lets their seasons overlap, but in NJ bow guys can hunt from Sept to Feb, which means they are out when shotgun/muzzleloader guys are as well.

Last year or the year before we stumbled across a ground blind guy with no orange flag up. Stupid move in a forest crawling with the orange army. (Again, not sure how PA is with these things)
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    I am not sure 100% how PA lets their seasons overlap, but in NJ bow guys can hunt from Sept to Feb, which means they are out when shotgun/muzzleloader guys are as well.

Last year or the year before we stumbled across a ground blind guy with no orange flag up. Stupid move in a forest crawling with the orange army. (Again, not sure how PA is with these things)
    There are overlaps but basically rifle two weeks (last Nov-1st Dec.) Flintlock interspersed from what I can see. Archery depends on zone but can go from mid Sep to end of Jan.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 98Redline View Post
    There is a fold up plastic thing called a "Deer Sleigh-R". It is essentially a piece of heavy plastic with grommets that allow you to strap the deer to it. Makes dragging a whole lot easier.

As far as when to get in the woods, last year I shot a 10 pointer on public land, less than 5 minutes after getting to my location at 7:15am on opening day. I got into camp very late the night before and was running behind in the morning. I was still hiking in when the sun was up. Got to my location and barely had time to start getting situated before the deer showed up. Bang! 50 yard shot, and my hunt was over.

As far as scouting goes, nothing beats actually getting into the woods to scout terrain, however you can significantly narrow down where you might want to look by looking at both Topo and LIDAR maps of the areas.
    I think most people know what Topo maps look like and how to read them, however it is sometimes difficult to find the little draws and funnels with them. This is where LIDAR really shines. LIDAR shows a shaded relief map of the ground contour.
    Both topo maps and LIDAR projections are available for free here:
    http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/ImageryNavigator/

On the Display Imagery drop box, all the way at the bottom of the list is Topographic Map and Statewide LIDAR Hillshade.
    Between the two of these map types you should be able to at least get an idea of where the natural funnels and areas are. It will also allow you to plot your track into the woods so you have a reasonable expectation of getting where you want to go.
    Statewide Color 2017 will also show high def satellite images. Good to compare to the Topo and Lidar to see what the terrain actually looks like.
    Between those three maps you should be able to locate an area that would likely be good to hunt before ever setting foot in the woods.

I wouldn't count on finding something to sit on in a spot you want to hunt. Those two things never seem to be co-located.
    A folding 3 leg stool like this one (Folding Stool) is relatively light and the 3 leg design means it will be stable on most ground. I have had one in my pack for the last 10 years and I end up using it almost every time I ground hunt.

Hunting from the ground is not an impossible task. You just need to take a bit more care in setting up.

Scent is going to play a bigger part than if you are 20' up in a tree. My approach is to go out in a light t-shirt and a pair of nylon sweatpants for the hike in. This ensures that if I sweat during the hike that:
    1) I can get out of the wet/sweated clothes so I don't get cold
    2) Get all of that scent off of me before I start to hunt.
    Once at the place I am going to hunt I will strip off the shirt and sweatpants and put them in a ziplock freezer back. Then I will get dressed with my actual hunting gear. You would be surprised how much warmer you stay when your base layers are 100% dry.

Set up with your back against a tree. In addition to providing a backrest for sitting, the tree helps obscure your movement somewhat.

Try to set up with some cover between a deer path and your location. One of my favorite hunting spots has a huge boulder (like Chevy Tahoe sized) that I put between me and the game trail. I can see the animals moving along the trail and when they walk behind the boulder it gives me an opportunity to raise my gun and get ready for the shot. A bush, some trees, etc... all work in that purpose.

Don't try to get right on the trail. If you have a rifle, 30-50 yards is an easy shot. Stay back a bit, it will make you a little less visible than if you are 5-10 yards off the trail.

The rest of it you will pick up in time. Just get out there and enjoy the woods.
    Thank you so much. I need to walk the SGL's I am considering and drop some pins in HuntStand so I know where to go back to, that will help a lot! The other key is to stay within the boundaries of the land, a lot of parcels nearby so I need to trust that app and GPS in tight spots.

So, spots where deer have to "funnel through" like a path are good spots? Also, near water I assume? I know, beginner questions ha ha!

Gameland borders will be marked with tree paint. Food is number one outside of the rut. Find food and you will find deer. Acorns, apples, choke cherries, beech nuts.....

(Berks County)

I get you on the marking and thanks for the food tip, I should know better ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I get you on the marking and thanks for the food tip, I should know better ha ha!
    The deer movement will change when the food is gone. They have to eat SOMETHING though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast