Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default HK MP5 SD (Semi)

Can anyone give some insight on this MP5 model? Found it for sale for $2k. I understand is has a ported barrel with an aluminum shroud, but does that actually suppress and make it an NFA item?

I've searched the net and can't find much about the civilian/SA model. Wondering about the selector markings on the receiver also. I'm an HK neophyte, so assume nothing.

Last edited by esh21167; July 31st, 2018 at 04:55 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

First of all not sure if you are aware or not but that is not an H&K but rather one of the many semi automatic clones that are available.Secondly I have never seen a SD without some kind of shoulder stock and I'm guessing that the suppressor is merely cosmetic.
    There are plenty of nice MP5 clones out there,I would pass on that one.
    Last edited by Krichardson; July 31st, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

So it's not HK? Being a noob, can you say how you know it isn't HK? Trigger housing/lower? If it's a clone, it's not worth $2k to me. I'd rather buy a new POF or Zenith and save a couple hundred.

Was just told it just has an aluminum fake can.

(Berks County)

That leaves me with a few questions at least. That trigger pack says brrrrp but you say it's semi? I can't read the writing on the side so I don't know who made it. And you say it's a fake can so it's not SD. WTF? It sounds like it has, 'run away', written all over it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

You'd have to be extremely lucky to find an H&K MP5 for two stacks these days and as far as I can recall they did not make a semi auto in SD configuration.I think that the only semi that they did make was the SP89.
    The Zenith and POF guns are considered clones too but yeah,going after one of those is the route that I would go.
    I actually have one of each.
    Last edited by Krichardson; July 31st, 2018 at 05:41 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That leaves me with a few questions at least. That trigger pack says brrrrp but you say it's semi? I can't read the writing on the side so I don't know who made it. And you say it's a fake can so it's not SD. WTF? It sounds like it has, 'run away', written all over it.
    The trigger housing is nothing as they can be bought with full auto symbols and installed on semis.That gun is pretty much a non nfa replica of a MP5 SD.Walther did the same thing but better with their.22 knockoff.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    The trigger housing is nothing as they can be bought with full auto symbols and installed on semis.That gun is pretty much a non nfa replica of a MP5 SD.Walther did the same thing but better with their.22 knockoff.
    Yep, just for the hell of it I'd like to see more and better pics. That bolt carrier through the ejection port looks pretty clean though.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Yep, just for the hell of it I'd like to see more and better pics. That bolt carrier through the ejection port looks pretty clean though.
    I would like to see some too and hope that those are not jamomatic Korean mags.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the input. If it seems to good to be true...

Not worth pursuing just to satisfy curiosity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    You'd have to be extremely lucky to find an H&K MP5 for two stacks these days and as far as I can recall they did not make a semi auto in SD configuration.I think that the only semi that they did make was the SP89.
    The Zenith and POF guns are considered clones too but yeah,going after one of those is the route that I would go.
    I actually have one of each.
    HK had also done the HK94, which was a 16" barrel semi auto MP5.

There's a decent chance the MP5SD in question is a "Todd Bailey" clone. Todd Bailey was a guy who would start a company selling HK clones, sell a bunch of guns of varying quality, then disappear when people got too pissed off. He would then start a new company, do the same thing, rinse, and repeat. The most well known company he started was Special Weapons, but others include Coharie Arms and Bobcat Weapons (though it seems he may have only supplied parts for the latter). You might get a good gun (less likely with the Special Weapons guns as far as I understand), or you might not. It could also be a quality clone built by a quality builder. Can't know for sure unless you see the markings.

I personally have a Todd Bailey gun, a Coharie CA89 that I SBR'd. Functionally, the only issue I had was that I needed to replace my ejector lever and spring for reliable function. Runs fantastically now. The only other issues I had were that the claw mount tabs seem out of spec (can't mount a QD style claw mount, but most other mounts work fine), and the 3 lug interface was out of spec (got my suppressor to fit after a bit of filing to the lugs).

To me, there's not much appeal to a SD clone, unless you can't find 147gr easily. It's gonna be a pain to keep clean otherwise, and you lose ballistic effectiveness.

There is one advantage to the gun in the OP though... It has an ambi lower and pack. Ambi packs are not nearly as common as SEF packs, nor are they interchangeable. It's one of the main reasons why I went for my Coharie Arms gun, even knowing the issues they ran into. In addition, a lot of US clones have a lot (if not all) US parts, so 922r becomes a lot easier. At $2K though, I'd have second thoughts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast