Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    9203994

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    What make of suppressor is That? My Zenith will have the full stock on it as well. I like the look of yours.
    It's a Rugged Obsidian .45, though I'm only using it until I pony up and buy a Dead Air Wolf 9SD. I like the look of thick suppressors on pistol caliber carbines. Plus, the higher volume will likely mean a lower tone.

    I have a collapsible A3 stock for my gun too. They're actually not too bad to shoot with, but the fixed A2 has been on ever since I started shooting USPSA with it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Apollo, Pennsylvania
    (Armstrong County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,620
    Rep Power
    12653097

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    A3 is for looking at
    A2 is for shooting with

    The Wolf 9SD is a solid can. Its next on my list for my MP5, mainly due to 3-lug options.

    I wish i had bought more Gemtech Mk9K cans back when they were available.
    I made an 1-3/4" dia 7.5" long can, its pretty quiet but not Mk9K quiet. Those are 2"x8" co-axle design.
    I need to make a copy of one. They are actually pretty damn simplistic for as soft of a tone that they produce. Pretty old school tech inside them once you get them apart.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Hope, PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    394277

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    HK had also done the HK94, which was a 16" barrel semi auto MP5.

    There's a decent chance the MP5SD in question is a "Todd Bailey" clone. Todd Bailey was a guy who would start a company selling HK clones, sell a bunch of guns of varying quality, then disappear when people got too pissed off. He would then start a new company, do the same thing, rinse, and repeat. The most well known company he started was Special Weapons, but others include Coharie Arms and Bobcat Weapons (though it seems he may have only supplied parts for the latter). You might get a good gun (less likely with the Special Weapons guns as far as I understand), or you might not. It could also be a quality clone built by a quality builder. Can't know for sure unless you see the markings.

    I personally have a Todd Bailey gun, a Coharie CA89 that I SBR'd. Functionally, the only issue I had was that I needed to replace my ejector lever and spring for reliable function. Runs fantastically now. The only other issues I had were that the claw mount tabs seem out of spec (can't mount a QD style claw mount, but most other mounts work fine), and the 3 lug interface was out of spec (got my suppressor to fit after a bit of filing to the lugs).

    To me, there's not much appeal to a SD clone, unless you can't find 147gr easily. It's gonna be a pain to keep clean otherwise, and you lose ballistic effectiveness.

    There is one advantage to the gun in the OP though... It has an ambi lower and pack. Ambi packs are not nearly as common as SEF packs, nor are they interchangeable. It's one of the main reasons why I went for my Coharie Arms gun, even knowing the issues they ran into. In addition, a lot of US clones have a lot (if not all) US parts, so 922r becomes a lot easier. At $2K though, I'd have second thoughts.
    Hey TooBigToFit! Actually .147 are not recommended in a SD..... SD's are designed to lower the velocity of .115 grain rounds to subsonic...so shooting .147s in one would seriously slow them down.... May not really hurt anything.... But probably not a good idea.

    I have Shot the real deal, numerous times.... And they are truly an elegant weapon..... Even with bolt noise.... It is possible to Hear the round hit the target backer or berm at 25 yards...... (I still think an AR9 with the SD system would be bad ass!)

    Atlantic has a "real" (but non HK) SD Upper..... Now on sale for $1700! There are several manufacturers that make SD cans that fit it.... And may even be better then the original design.... (Sorry HK!) I would pick one of these up.... But it won't fit my POF MP5 SBR.... Without lots of mods..... (POF has Two pin lower, like the factory MP5... I'm not sure how they got ATFs blessing on that one..... But they did!), so modding one, may make ATF very UNHAPPY.... I really would like a Semi MP5SD..... (Until we can get the stupid HUghs amendment overturned of course!)

    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0
    Last edited by 1096369fred; August 4th, 2018 at 11:15 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    9203994

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    Hey TooBigToFit! Actually .147 are not recommended in a SD..... SD's are designed to lower the velocity of .115 grain rounds to subsonic...so shooting .147s in one would seriously slow them down.... May not really hurt anything.... But probably not a good idea.

    I have Shot the real deal, numerous times.... And they are truly an elegant weapon..... Even with bolt noise.... It is possible to Hear the round hit the target backer or berm at 25 yards...... (I still think an AR9 with the SD system would be bad ass!)

    Atlantic has a "real" (but non HK) SD Upper..... Now on sale for $1700! There are several manufacturers that make SD cans that fit it.... And may even be better then the original design.... (Sorry HK!) I would pick one of these up.... But it won't fit my POF MP5 SBR.... Without lots of mods..... (POF has Two pin lower, like the factory MP5... I'm not sure how they got ATFs blessing on that one..... But they did!), so modding one, may make ATF very UNHAPPY.... I really would like a Semi MP5SD..... (Until we can get the stupid HUghs amendment overturned of course!)

    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0
    Not trying to be a jerk, but...

    1) Reread my post. I said there's no point to the MP5SD unless you can't find 147gr. I stand by that statement. The statement also implies that you should not run (or at least, there's no point in running) 147gr in an SD gun.
    2) Stop saying .115, .147 grain. .147 grain would be .000021 pounds, which is about the weight of a single piece of sand.
    3) Omega is owned by Wade Bailey, who is related to Todd Bailey (of Special Weapons/Coharie infamy as I mentioned earlier). Not that it means that they're poor quality, but there are some that are worried that the shenanigans of Special Weapons will eventually kick in
    4) The POF (and MKE) MP5s use a semi auto only bolt carrier (the engagement surface for the auto trip lever is machined off), and a block to prevent the installation of a full auto carrier is welded into the receiver. In a typical HK9x/SPxx series gun, a semi auto shelf is welded to the receiver, which intrudes upon the area in the trigger pack where the auto "sear" would normally be found, preventing the installation of HK auto trigger packs. This is also the reason why HK9x/SPxx series guns never came with a paddle magazine release, as the semi auto shelf was welded over the holes for the paddle magazine release. I forgot the exact mechanics, but the newer paddle equipped, semi auto shelf clones use a hole that is not drilled through the receiver all the way (since doing so would be making a "machine gun"), and the hole is welded over after the magazine release is installed.
    5) Once upon a time (by that, I mean within the last 5 or so years), there were images of a civilian HK MP5SD floating around along with the now released SP5K. It was called the SC5SD. Not sure if it'll ever be released, or if it'll ever make it to the US. But you may be interested.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Hope, PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    394277

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Hey TooBigToFit,

    Sorry, I did miss your point concerning.147s.... I think the coolest feature of the SD is the ability to effectively suppress
    115s.... Perhaps spending $1500 or so on an SD upper to save a couple of bucks per box is strange... But that is how I roll!
    As far as the difference between the .147s and .115s.... You are not saying they suppress the same, are you? In my experience.... They are night and day, in any system, other then an SD.

    I do totally agree about the Bailey weapons..... You say that yours runs well and I have heard the same from others..... And that some are total basket cases..... I bought a SW semi S&W 76 clone a couple of years ago.... That is the later.... The semi bolt of that thing is a nightmare.... Very poorly designed and constructed.... I hope to try to untangle it at some point and maybe SBR it.... It is otherwise a pretty well made gun.... But I am a sucker for a hard luck case..... I still play with a wiselite Sterling..... And From time to time.... I can even get it running.... If the planets are correctly aligned, that is....

    As far as My POF.... It would be interesting to see if the Omega could be made to fit.... Without causing ATF to lose there collective minds.... (That is interesting that they are related to the Baileys... I had not heard that.) I have read that they do make a good product.... And for $1700 for an MP5 upper.... They better.... I have heard that PSA is coming out with a MP5..... I am highly sceptical.... But I have had pretty good luck with (most) of their ARs and uppers.... So we shall see....

    Stay safe!
    F.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    I've no idea why PSA wants to do a MP5 but if they do then they'd better really come correct with it as there are already plenty of well made clones that they would have to compete with.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    473
    Rep Power
    4015900

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I've no idea why PSA wants to do a MP5 but if they do then they'd better really come correct with it as there are already plenty of well made clones that they would have to compete with.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, I guess to compete with PTR as an alternate US made clone.

    As far as I'm concerned, Zenith makes the best non-HK Mp5 platform out there. If their supply chain gets the bugs worked out and supply becomes regular, PTR and PSA won't do very well

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    12005294

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I've no idea why PSA wants to do a MP5 but if they do then they'd better really come correct with it as there are already plenty of well made clones that they would have to compete with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, I guess to compete with PTR as an alternate US made clone.

    As far as I'm concerned, Zenith makes the best non-HK Mp5 platform out there. If their supply chain gets the bugs worked out and supply becomes regular, PTR and PSA won't do very well
    People are wishfully thinking the PSA clone will be like $1200. I doubt they can hit that price point. Roller lock isn't AR (which they have done pretty well with). And if they do, there's surely a reason for them being that cheap. If it gets within $200-$300 of the Zenith/POF's, they won't sell well. I think PSA bit off more than they can chew.

    So SeabeeCO, I've heard you mention about the Zenith clones before. Those and POF seem to be the most popular/reliable. Can you give a newbie a rundown? I'm kind of watching for the availability of both, but after reading short reviews, I'm at a coin toss. Maybe your opinion will sway me, lol. Thanks.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    9203994

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    People are wishfully thinking the PSA clone will be like $1200. I doubt they can hit that price point. Roller lock isn't AR (which they have done pretty well with). And if they do, there's surely a reason for them being that cheap. If it gets within $200-$300 of the Zenith/POF's, they won't sell well. I think PSA bit off more than they can chew.

    So SeabeeCO, I've heard you mention about the Zenith clones before. Those and POF seem to be the most popular/reliable. Can you give a newbie a rundown? I'm kind of watching for the availability of both, but after reading short reviews, I'm at a coin toss. Maybe your opinion will sway me, lol. Thanks.
    Both are made by companies that licensed to produce the MP5. However, I think the fit and finish on MKE is generally considered better, but the POF is usually cheaper by a few hundred dollars.

    If you have the money, I'd say spring for the MKE.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    3747310

    Default Re: HK MP5 SD (Semi)

    I love my PCS-9N with a 3-lug attached Griffin Armament Optimus



    Parabellum Combat Systems:
    http://www.parabellumcombatsystems.c...nt-selections/
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [CLOSED] 45 ACP semi-jacketed and lead semi-wad cutter bullets -- 230 grain
    By gghbi in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 8th, 2018, 10:26 PM
  2. [Want To Buy] O/U 12 ga. or Semi
    By ianb1116 in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM
  3. 9mm Semi-Wadcutters in a Semi-Auto?
    By Remington788 in forum Ammunition & Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 20th, 2013, 03:06 AM
  4. [Want To Sell] Mac 11/ 9mm semi
    By CliffB in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 4th, 2013, 06:34 AM
  5. [Want To Buy/Trade] Remington 870 for Semi / Pump for a Semi
    By Mtbkski in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 13th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops