Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do after a shooting

Something to think about and learn from. It sounds like a homeowner defended himself from an intruder. The cops came to his home and did not know who he was other than he had a gun. They shot him.

I’m posting this not to bash anyone, but to get people thinking about what to do after a shooting. I know some people have thought this through but food for thought for those who have not.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/...man-dead-home/

Police: Armed Intruder Found Dead As Police Kill Armed Homeowner
    AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Aurora police responded to a home near East Montview Boulevard and Iola Street early Monday morning. They say they received a 911 call saying someone was breaking into a home.

aurora montview ois 645vo transfer frame 0 Police: Armed Intruder Found Dead As Police Kill Armed Homeowner
    Officer-involved shooting on East Montview Blvd. (credit: CBS)
    When they arrived, officers say they heard gunshots and were approached by a man with a gun. That’s when an officer opened fire and killed the man. They later learned that man lived at the home.

Investigators later entered the home and found a child who was hurt and the intruder who was dead on the bathroom floor.

“We are dealing with several people involved in this incident. If there’s somebody, maybe witnesses that we haven’t spoken to, we’re definitely asking for them to give us a call,” said Kenneth Forrest, a spokesman with Aurora police.

Neighbors tell CBS4 the suspect kicked down the victim’s door while he was naked. They say the victim is a man in his 60s. They also say a young girl witnessed everything and ran across the street to get help.

Default Re: What to do after a shooting

This is failure to communicate between the VICTIM, DISPATCH and the POLICE. The POLICE should have known what the VICTIM was wearing before arrival. DISPATCH should have asked the VICTIM what he was wearing. This is a terrible situation and the VICTIM paid the ultimate price. As for the guy who broke in, F*%K him!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Not meaning to be an arm-chair quarterback, but never have a gun in your hand while approaching officers outside your home. Without any additional affirming information, always show your empty hands.

Just ask for instructions: "What are your instructions?"

Seems easy, but it never is - especially in a ramped-up appearance by public safety officials.

How much training did the cop have who shot and killed the homeowner?

No way to know if this occurred from your post (the encounter with officers) inside the home or outside.

Very sad this occurred, for I know pipers in Aurora, Co.

Maybe the now deceased homeowner should have stayed inside? I dunno...
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

Maybe the mayoral candidate up in Minneapolis is onto something about disarming police.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Maybe the mayoral candidate up in Minneapolis is onto something about disarming police.
    Well, you can't argue the fact that if they were not armed, they could not have shot him.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

The case with the officer reaching over his partner and blowing a woman away might have something to do with it too.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Tioga County)

Not that I am an advocate for disarming police but in New Zealand for the most part cops are not armed and what I notice with that is they are far better skilled in verbal communication and negotiation in dealing with situations. And I'm trying to think of a situation where NZ Police have shot and killed an innocent civilian and I can't think of one.

We've gotten to a point in this country where police just shoot em up if you flinch the wrong way and figure they'll sort it all out later, if you shoot the wrong guy, you get some leave for a while, of course there is an investigation, which in this case gets white washed due to the circumstances and then the city pays out a lawsuit and it's back to work.

I will openly say that if I ever have a home invasion happen to me, I will fight to win, retreat to the safe room, barricade myself and then call 9/11. If you call 9/11 in the middle of a melee and they respond quick enough we are at the point you are at just as much risk as the cops shooting you as the perp.

(Chester County)

My outlook is if I have to defend myself in my home or even outside the home when I call 911 I will tell the 911 operator a password I will use when the police arrive. I will make the operator repeat it several times and it will be recorded. I've already tested this procedure when the police and the ambulance had to come to my house to cart me off to the emergency room when I had food poisoning earlier this year from eating Arizona nightsoil grown romaine lettuce. I told the operator a password and the police showed up first. I could barely move but I was able to get to the front door and I repeated the password and he responded and I opened the front door. The officer helped me up to the chair and we waited for the EMT's arrive. I was in an awful amount of pain in my abdomen and I could barely walk.

In a shooting away from the house it's imperative you give the 911 operator a way to identify yourself to the first responding officer. At my house all the local police already know me because it's a small force and a small town. In a live shooting incident shoot from cover and when police arrive stay in cover until you are ready to surrender to police and identify yourself. These procedures are things I have learned over the years but like it's been said every situation is different, try to maintain control over yourself and don't expose yourself to incoming fire. When you are ready to surrender to police follow instructions by one officer and if you don't understand mixed commands like get down on the ground, don't move, hands on your head being yelled at you all at one time from an officer that has lost his composure, pray.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

More on this story.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/o...e/73-579198076

Officer who shot Aurora homeowner was in another deadly shooting in June
    An Aurora police officer who shot an armed homeowner Monday morning had been in another deadly confrontation in late June. He'd been returned to duty even though the investigation of that first incident has not been complete.

KUSA — The Aurora police officer who shot and killed an armed homeowner early Monday morning was involved in another deadly shooting in late June, 9Wants to Know has learned.

The officer, who 9NEWS agreed not to identify after Aurora police officials expressed concerns for his safety, had been returned to regular duty while the investigation of whether he was legally justified in using deadly force in the June incident was still ongoing.

While not routine, officers can be put back on the job even though an investigation into a shooting is not complete – guidelines for doing that vary from one department to another.

In this week’s incident, police received multiple 911 calls just before 1:30 a.m. Monday reporting a disturbance. Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz, in a written release, said officers encountered “a very chaotic and violent scene,” heard gunfire inside a home at 10609 E. Montview Blvd. and then “encountered an armed adult male.”

aurora police_1523328017199.jpg.jpg
    KUSA

An officer opened fire, hitting and killing the man, who has been identified as Richard “Gary” Black Jr., a 73-year-old Army veteran who served in Vietnam, earning a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. Police also discovered a “deceased adult male intruder” inside Black’s home.

Aurora police have declined to answer further questions about the sequence of events, but Metz has a press conference tentatively scheduled Thursday afternoon.

According to Qusair Mohamedbhai, an attorney representing Black’s family, the man never should have been shot by a police officer.

Mohamedbhai told 9Wants to Know than an intruder broke into the Montview Boulevard home and grabbed Black’s 11-year-old grandson, who was sleeping on a couch, and dragged him to a bathroom, where he attacked him. Black and the boy’s father tried to pull the attacker off the child, but after a struggle Black grabbed his gun and shot and killed the man, Mohamedbhai said.

Moments later, Mohamedbhai said, the Aurora officer shot and killed Black, who was licensed as a certified public accountant in Colorado from 1999 to 2008.

Qusair Mohamedbhai_1533088525055.jpg.jpg
    KUSA

Mohamedbhai said he believes the intruder may have come from a nearby house party.

Among those who called 911 was Jeanette Black, and she gave dispatchers a very specific description of her husband and what he was wearing, Mohamedbhai said. He also said evidence suggests that while Black was inside his home the officer who shot him was outside – although he said he wants to see body camera footage so he can better understand exactly what happened.

In the June shooting, Officers were called to the 8900 block of East Colfax Avenue around 12:30 a.m. June 27 on a report of shots fired. According to Aurora police, officers searching the area encountered a man who matched the description of the suspect, and he fled on foot through a parking lot.

According to police, the man had a gun and ignored multiple orders to drop it before an officer shot him.

At that point, the man ran around a blind corner, stopped and was waiting for the officers, according to police. Officers again ordered him to drop the gun, then fired more shots, according to police.

richard_black2_1533072008863.png
    Richard Black Jr. was shot by an Aurora police officer after he shot a home intruder.

Courtesy family

The man was rushed to a hospital, where he later died.

Officer Kenneth Forrest, an Aurora police spokesman, told 9NEWS that any officer who has been involved in a shooting must undergo a psychological evaluation before returning to duty.

But several other things are also part of the normal protocol in an officer-involved shooting:

A criminal investigation aimed at determining whether the officer’s actions broke any laws.
    An investigation into whether the officer followed the department’s policies and procedures.
    A determination by the local district attorney as to whether the officer was legally justified in using deadly force.
    Forrest could not say Tuesday whether the criminal investigation had been completed in the June shooting, nor whether the review of whether departmental policies were followed was finished.

However, the findings of District Attorney George Brauchler, the top prosecutor for Arapahoe, Douglas, Lincoln and Elbert Counties, have not been finalized.

Officer Crystal McCoy, an Aurora police spokeswoman, said Chief Metz plans to address the officer’s involvement in the June shooting at a press conference planned Thursday afternoon.

According to Adams County property records, Black and his wife own the home on Montview Boulevard.

Jeanette Black was hospitalized Tuesday and went into surgery for unspecified injuries sustained in the incident, Mohamedbhai said.

This was the second deadly officer-involved shooting in recent days by Aurora police. On Saturday, a suspect was fatally shot by officers following a chase that ended in Adams County near Federal Boulevard and West 64th Avenue.

(Tioga County)

My outlook is if I have to defend myself in my home or even outside the home when I call 911 I will tell the 911 operator a password I will use when the police arrive. I will make the operator repeat it several times and it will be recorded. I've already tested this procedure when the police and the ambulance had to come to my house to cart me off to the emergency room when I had food poisoning earlier this year from eating Arizona nightsoil grown romaine lettuce. I told the operator a password and the police showed up first. I could barely move but I was able to get to the front door and I repeated the password and he responded and I opened the front door. The officer helped me up to the chair and we waited for the EMT's arrive. I was in an awful amount of pain in my abdomen and I could barely walk.

In a shooting away from the house it's imperative you give the 911 operator a way to identify yourself to the first responding officer. At my house all the local police already know me because it's a small force and a small town. In a live shooting incident shoot from cover and when police arrive stay in cover until you are ready to surrender to police and identify yourself. These procedures are things I have learned over the years but like it's been said every situation is different, try to maintain control over yourself and don't expose yourself to incoming fire. When you are ready to surrender to police follow instructions by one officer and if you don't understand mixed commands like get down on the ground, don't move, hands on your head being yelled at you all at one time from an officer that has lost his composure, pray.
    Great idea having some sort of identifier you tell 911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast