Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going to Phila

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Going to Phila

I'm headed to the Apple store on Walnut St. next Saturday with my girlfriend.

I plan to conceal carry as usual. Is there any new info I should know about Philadelphia? For example, I don't usually worry about printing, but here in Luzerne county no one cares.

Any advice?

Also, I'll have a few hours to kill between 3 and 10 pm. Any suggestions as to what to do(remember I'm CC) or where to go to have a nice moderately priced dinner? I'll probably be in shorts and a summer button down shirt if that matters for the dining choice. Parking reccomendations?

Thanks
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Berks County)

Default Re: Going to Phila

I don't know where the Apple Store is but I'm going to surmise that it's in the downtown area, (low numbered streets, like 4th, 5th, etc). Being armed and ready wouldn't be a bad idea, practice up on your draw and aim. Otherwise that is a busy area, lots of places to eat and see. If you haven't yet I'd recommend a stroll down South Street from about 8th and east, it's a show worthy of seeing and there are more places to eat through there than Carter has liver pills. It's not too far south of Walnut and you should be able to just walk there. It's been a while but I don't recall any slums in the area, just stay on the numbered streets and out of the alleys when you're walking to and fro.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

I don't know why, but when I read this thread title I hear LL Cool J singing Going Back to Cali, Cali, Cali...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

It's in Center City close to Rittenhouse Square, so not a bad area and has lots of tourists, but still be situationally aware. No issues with CCing, unless a business has a sign, then don't print if you go in.

There are plenty of places to eat within a ten block radius, so narrow the cuisine down and we can offer suggestions. If you don't park on the street, most garages take your keys and/or park for you. I usually park in Chinatown at 9th and Vine because it's one of the few places left where they don't take your keys. It's about $20.

Check out the other thread about the historic Philly trip, you will only be about 10 blocks from that area. You can't carry inside most of those places though.
    Last edited by DK23; July 30th, 2018 at 07:48 AM.

(Wayne County)

For food, go to Chinatown if you like that kinda thing. Or, go to Nifty Fifty's for a couple Texas Tommies (hot dogs wrapped in bacon), some fries and a milk shake. Americana at its finest.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Philadelphia County)

Forby:

I'm at that area of Philly often, and CC every time. Good police presence, and they are not really focusing on touristy/businessy looking people. There have been cases of our local utes causing trouble, and the PD (especially the bike cops that hang there) look out for the large group of AP Physics students. Chances of trouble are low, but it does exist. That apple store does have a PPD in there as security, so I always make sure to take extra care to be very concealed, JIC. As an aside google Apple Store and Philly Jesus-it's really funny.
    Parking reality check-no place is cheap. If you want close, there is a self park garage on 16th ST, just north of Chestnut on the left; also one on the right for center Square. otherwise, that Chinatown lot is a great option, its actually a nice walk. Chinatown for lunch will be a good option.
    Back to CC-Philly people are clueless, so do your normal thing, cover up a bit more in the Apple Store, it'll be fine.
    Oh-you will likely run into panhandlers, sellers of various crap, etc. The secret is to ignore them, give the stink eye and head shake as if they are an annoyance (easy enough); you may get cursed at, but they are good at backing down if they can't get their way easily.
    HTH, have fun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't know where the Apple Store is but I'm going to surmise that it's in the downtown area, (low numbered streets, like 4th, 5th, etc). Being armed and ready wouldn't be a bad idea, practice up on your draw and aim. Otherwise that is a busy area, lots of places to eat and see. If you haven't yet I'd recommend a stroll down South Street from about 8th and east, it's a show worthy of seeing and there are more places to eat through there than Carter has liver pills. It's not too far south of Walnut and you should be able to just walk there. It's been a while but I don't recall any slums in the area, just stay on the numbered streets and out of the alleys when you're walking to and fro.
    The Apple Store is on the west side of Broad Street in the teens. I would stay in that area to walk and eat and stay away from South Street. It can be nice during the day, but it is Philadelphia’s Boardwalk and a shit show especially at night.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The Apple Store is on the west side of Broad Street in the teens. I would stay in that area to walk and eat and stay away from South Street. It can be nice during the day, but it is Philadelphia’s Boardwalk and a shit show especially at night.
    I happen to find shit shows to be very entertaining. I get a kick out of all the Hispanich chickies sporting the one size fits-all spandex shorts (if they're still in fashion).
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

I happen to find shit shows to be very entertaining. I get a kick out of all the Hispanich chickies sporting the one size fits-all spandex shorts (if they're still in fashion).
    Not gonna lie.....that's funny as shit.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Montgomery County)

I was eating at a restaurant on South St about 15 yrs ago (can't remember the name, but it was outside seating elevated about 3-4 ft above the sidewalk) during what happened to be greeknic. That was quite the shitshow. I never saw anything like that before and we used to go to South St all the time in the 90s to people watch the freaks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast