Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going to Phila

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Going to Phila

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I was eating at a restaurant on South St about 15 yrs ago (can't remember the name, but it was outside seating elevated about 3-4 ft above the sidewalk) during what happened to be greeknic. That was quite the shitshow. I never saw anything like that before and we used to go to South St all the time in the 90s to people watch the freaks.
    After having to work the Greek Picnic for decades, I don't want anything to do with that or South Street for the rest of my life. It has calmed down much, but still.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I'm headed to the Apple store on Walnut St. next Saturday with my girlfriend.

I plan to conceal carry as usual. Is there any new info I should know about Philadelphia? For example, I don't usually worry about printing, but here in Luzerne county no one cares.

Any advice?

Also, I'll have a few hours to kill between 3 and 10 pm. Any suggestions as to what to do(remember I'm CC) or where to go to have a nice moderately priced dinner? I'll probably be in shorts and a summer button down shirt if that matters for the dining choice. Parking reccomendations?

Thanks
    Not sure if you have to go to THIS Apple Store, but going to King of Prussia Mall or Suburban Square or another location would result in easier parking, lower sales tax, etc.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    After having to work the Greek Picnic for decades, I don't want anything to do with that or South Street for the rest of my life. It has calmed down much, but still.
    You have earned my lifelong respect after having to work that!

(Montgomery County)

Carry and keep your situational awareness up and you'll be fine. That's not a bad area of the city at all.

My vote for dinner is Han Dynasty - assuming you like spicy chinese food.

(Bucks County)

Assuming you have a valid LTCF, just CC, use common sense and you'll be fine. No one's gonna bother you.

Now if you choose to do a juggling act with your wallet, Rolex watch, and diamond studded jewelry, you're on your own.

Apple Store is at 16th and Walnut, couple stores down from that intersection. There is every time I've been there an armed or two off-duty PPD officer, two when it's either really hot, really cold, really wet, usually from bike patrol. I always acknowledge them when I walk-in, telling them I appreciate what they do. Usually wear my USMC cap. So, concealed is the order of the day; no printing is the order of the day x2.

The area is high-volume folks, the usual share of corner sitting people looking for handouts. I've never had any untoward experience in that area. Not so for one young man who was in the Apple Store giving the LE in it a report about having been mugged on that specific intersection. He looked none the worse for wear. So, as always, be in Condition High Yellow.

Parking is f'g ship wreck. Google for Parking lots in that area. Same with places to eat. There are all kinds of places, ranging from slop chutes, to high end slop chutes. As noted above, stay the hell away from South St. Also, there was of course this episode of street-filth wanting to make names for themselves: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/...b-center-city/ I walk up into that area now and again to meet business friends of mine. They usually pay, so we eat at PARC on Rittenhouse Square. Another seemingly peaceful, quiet place to go and enjoy yourself in the little park there, but then there is this:http://www.philly.com/philly/news/cr...-20180713.html So, mostly, that area of Philly is pretty nice...... until it goes down the f'g tubes.

FWIW, I carry Sabre Red Gel and Taser Pulse as back up to G19.

HTH

TB605

(Bucks County)

There's self parking at 18th and Walnut next to the Barnes and Noble book store.

(Philadelphia County)

There have been a number of stabbings and one or two shootings in and around Rittenhouse Square over the past year. The square is moderately patrolled, but it's kind a of a magnet for all sorts folks from all walks of life.

If you want to avoid any hassles, don't print. Avoid a six o'clock carry if you can. In the past 7 years that I've lived in Philly I've seen six o'clock carriers fully exposed (both standing and sitting) with the their shirts pulled up over their holsters and totally unaware. Rittenhouse square is as ritzy as it gets in Center City, but at street level the Square and its environs are frequented by all sorts-- including pickpockets and opportunists. Keep your firearm well secured and, well, concealed.
    Last edited by Boris Badinov; July 31st, 2018 at 06:20 PM.

(Berks County)

For a real cultural experience you could park at Villanova and ride the trains in. The Norristown High speed line stops at the Nova parking lot and ends at 69th Street Transportation Center where you can pick up the Frankford El, which runs down Market St. Get off at City Hall stop and you're just a couple blocks away from your destination. Seniors ride for free and the last time we went they utilized the wife's driver's license to check her age.

ETA: There's also a station in Radnor, a little closer to 476 but I don't know anything about that station.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

After reading this thread I would be changing my plans.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast