Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Hypothetical question: Concealed carry around immature people

I was thinking about this the other day too. What would happen if you carried but a member of your family was a loud mouth, drunk, druggie, or just immature?

If you can protect yourself and the lives of loved ones, this can lead to a tight spot. Say you walk up on a fight. It's your brother. The other guy pulls a knife and has your brother cornered. What do you do? What if your brother started it?

Another situation. Your wife is drunk and you're walking home. You are 100% sober as always while carrying. Your wife says something to a crowd. Next thing you know you and your wife are cornered by this crowd of people. What do you do?

My thought on this is that you really should only carry around responsible people. The situations that I've listed could really lead to major consequences in a court battle. I'm interested in any thoughts you have on these situations or thoughts.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Hypothetical question: Concealed carry around immature people

If I feel my life is in danger I will draw no matter what happened before that.

(Luzerne County)

I'd slap the tar out of both of them for putting me in such a situation.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe15003 View Post
    If I feel my life is in danger I will draw no matter what happened before that.
    If you started the conflict or escalated it and are now the aggressor, you are in the wrong. That's the way I understand it.

Self defense not self offense

(Allegheny County)

these people are a part of WHY you carry!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    these people are a part of WHY you carry!
    But, if you carry with these types of people around couldn't it be argued that you were looking for trouble?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day too. What would happen if you carried but a member of your family was a loud mouth, drunk, druggie, or just immature?

If you can protect yourself and the lives of loved ones, this can lead to a tight spot. Say you walk up on a fight. It's your brother. The other guy pulls a knife and has your brother cornered. What do you do? What if your brother started it?
    Another situation. Your wife is drunk and you're walking home. You are 100% sober as always while carrying. Your wife says something to a crowd. Next thing you know you and your wife are cornered by this crowd of people. What do you do?

My thought on this is that you really should only carry around responsible people. The situations that I've listed could really lead to major consequences in a court battle. I'm interested in any thoughts you have on these situations or thoughts.

you have the right to be as much of an asshole as you want, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others. i've had people say some pretty rude shit to me; it doesn't give me the right to shoot them. so, if someone pulled a knife on your brother, or your surrounded by an angry mob, you do what you must to protect life.

i'd give my retarded brother and obnoxious drunk wife a sound beating afterwards, though.

(Lehigh County)

You are judged by your friends. One can not choose their relatives except for the lush spouse which you should have jettisoned a long time before this incident.

Hangin' with them is not a requirement.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Luzerne County)

If you started the conflict or escalated it and are now the aggressor, you are in the wrong. That's the way I understand it.

Self defense not self offense
    But, if you carry with these types of people around couldn't it be argued that you were looking for trouble?
    I don't understand the question. Is there a question?

If you are going to carry to defend your self, you should carry. You can not know when the need will arise, to defend yourself. How can you say that today I might see cousin Luke, he is a horses ass. I am not going to carry today because of this. Oh yeah, the bad guys will be taking a holiday today as well.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I think you need to do what you can to stop the fight, without harming anyone. Then you need to see that your brother takes his lumps for starting fights. That may include legal action. Yeah, yeah, blood is thicker than water, but how is he helping you by doing stuff like this? He is putting you and yours in danger.

Things like this do not happen out of the blue. It should be no surprise to the people involved in a situation like this that the wife is a stupid drunk. My opinion of course, is that stupid drunk is redundant. I don't mind drinking, and I have a glass of wine or a couple bottles of beer almost every day, but public drunkeness coupled with fighting is just as stupid as stupid can be. You should not allow yourself to be put in these situations. And if you find yourself in a situation like this, you need to be apologizing profusely for your wife. If that doesn't defuse the situation, then you may have to defend yourself, but regardless of the outcome, your wife started the whole mess. And that problem needs to be addressed before it happens again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast