Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Harry Callahan homemade presentation case for Smith and Wesson 29

I was able to get the wood scraps from my job, had the urethane and stain, hardware was under ten dollars and Dirty Harry items were about fifteen on eBay. What do you guys think for a total of atound $25?
    I also made 2 1/2 minute YouTube video about it if anyone’s interested. https://youtu.be/gczGY5nOc4Y

Last edited by bripro; July 29th, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Harry Callahan homemade presentation case for Smith and Wesson 29

Need to see more detail on the joints and finishing to give it a final grade. Nice work, and an interesting idea. I can see it many years from now when this gets passed on and someone will want a fortune because it is the 'real' thing and very rare. The ID card is a nice touch.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

You aren't planning to STORE the handgun in that, are you?
    Foam can hold moisture. Moisture can cause rust.

Oh yeah... looks cool.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

I didn’t go crazy with the joints. They’re just squared off instead of mitered. Since the wood was free I wasn’t picky and some of it took to stain very differently than others.

As far as storage I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing which is pretty much wrapping the gun and a microfiber cloth after a liberal coating of oil.

Since we”re on that subject how exactly should firearms be stored in a safe? Obviously they should be well oiled but do most of you guys just keep them loose on the shelves?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

I wouldn't worry too much bout storing your pistol in waffle foam. I have a S&W revolver in a factory case like that for over 30 years. Not a speck of rust.

Just have it at room temp and dry before you put it away. The foam used to suck up some oil and give the pistol a blotchy appearance when it was new. No corrosion though and after a quick rub with an oiled rag it was good as new. I guess it eventually soaked up enough oil so it doesn't do that anymore.

If you are worried about it give the foam a very light coat of oil to get it started.

(Allegheny County)

I'll never take that risk again. I do believe that others have had no issue, but I had surface rust form in 2-3 days after leaving a rifle in a case (with foam) after a group shoot.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

The only rust I ever had was a cap and ball pistol stored in a sock in the safe. The cotton sucked humidity out the air. This was a Jim sock. Those silicon socks for gun storage work. The bags of desiccant work. The vapor stuff works. I wouldn’t use the goldenrod thing. Outside the safe I use damp rid. Be careful with that stuff it turns into a cup of slime water. I have some boxes, some bare and some in socks (silicone). The packs of desiccant won’t release the water unless stuck in an oven, some come in units that plug in to recharge. Oil, rig, or renascence wax in the order of time in storage.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'll never take that risk again. I do believe that others have had no issue, but I had surface rust form in 2-3 days after leaving a rifle in a case (with foam) after a group shoot.
    I bet it was a high humidity day you zipped that case up on. I store in ace cases but they never see the outdoors and we do stuff to lower the humidity in the house. They get cleaned, oiled and wiped with a silicone cloth before getting zipped up or lid closed. The factory cases have the vapor paper in them.

(Berks County)

On subject op. $25 is good price. Nice touches. Now if you could have that leg guy screaming when you lift the lid, that would be awesome.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Need to see more detail on the joints and finishing to give it a final grade. Nice work, and an interesting idea. I can see it many years from now when this gets passed on and someone will want a fortune because it is the 'real' thing and very rare. The ID card is a nice touch.
    Why wait many years? Post it now!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast