Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR 15 Shooting Left

Also, to check for a loose barrel you must grasp the barrel and the upper receiver to check for play. If you grab the barrel and any part of the lower the movement you are detecting is the play between the upper and lower receivers.

(Pike County)

You're right, I didn't even think of it that way.

I'm thinking, and I may be wrong, that the rail is somehow turned. So not necessarily sitting at an angle with the receiver, but the whole rail being turned a couple degrees clockwise. Is this possible? how would I be able to make sure the rail is mounted up perfect? Would I have to mount something on the connection of the receiver rail and the rail, and then tighten the rail to the receiver?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post

I'm thinking, and I may be wrong, that the rail is somehow turned. So not necessarily sitting at an angle with the receiver, but the whole rail being turned a couple degrees clockwise. Is this possible? how would I be able to make sure the rail is mounted up perfect? Would I have to mount something on the connection of the receiver rail and the rail, and then tighten the rail to the receiver?
    It is entirely possible that the rail is off by a couple of degrees.

While it varies from handguard to handguard, virtually all free float rail handguards attach to the barrel nut of the gun. As a result, in order to rotate the handguard, you'll usually need to remove the handguard and often the gas tube, then use the barrel nut wrench to slightly tighten or loosen the barrel nut until the handguard is properly aligned. The barrel nut is typically proprietary to the handguard, and as a result, the wrench typically specific the rail/nut combo.

(Pike County)

You know, thinking about that, that may be part of the issue but it doesn’t explain the fact that the barrel and hand guard aren’t perfectly aligned. Maybe the handguard is mounted crooked but tight making it seem like that isn’t the problem?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post

Put the rifle horizontally in a padded vice or stand with the mag well situated down. Adjust the position of the rifle until a level tells you have it longitudinally level. Now put the level 90 degrees across the rail and take multiple positional readings. If the rifle checks out being level longitudinally and horizontally, the issue is not the position of the rail.
    - bamboomaster

(Centre County)

Take the hand guard out of the equation for now. Since it is a flat top receiver, you mount an optic (red dot or scope) on the receiver and then use a laser boresighter to set the optic and see what happens. If you don't have a laser boresighter they aren't real expensive and if you do a lot with rifles (even with handguns) it will come in handy in the future. Or just sight the optic in the old fashioned way. Once sighted in, and you have a good point of reference (you're hitting the bullseye correctly with the optic) then remove the optic and shoot with the iron sights, If it shoots correctly with the optic, but not the iron sights, then something is probably amiss with the hand guard.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

Upper could be cracked too. Don’t ask how I know.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds to me like you're mounting the front sight on the handguard? And the handguard is not lined up with the receiver? If so, there's your problem. The handguard needs re-indexed.
    Video here: https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...-multi-length/

Mounting primary iron sights to the handguard is not ideal, backup sights are OK there.
    Last edited by Hawk; July 30th, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Pike County)

@bamboomaster I will try that and let you know the findings! I am confused however how this process will tell if the rail is mounted crooked. This seems like it would solve any rotational issues, not placement issues.

@xringshooter I would love to try that but I don't have an optic for the rifle currently. I am thinking though that if I buy a laser boresighter, I can use the laser to point the rifle on target, then with the iron sights in their unadjusted position see where thee sights point. If the sights show to the right, then I know it is an issue with the rail.

@nathanb I certainly hope not, it is a brand new rifle minus the 250 rounds I out through it

@hawk I know, I just did it temporarily. I plan to purchase a 1-4x scope and/or a prism optic to put on the rifle in the future. This would allow me to completely ditch the irons as they would both have etched reticles.

(Centre County)

Tenko, yes you can do that also, I forgot to add that to my reply.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast