Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Berks County)

Default Has PA Game Commission Changed the Law on CCW While Hunting?

I haven't been hunting in probably about 5 years. Just haven't had the time or the want to go. My son is turning twelve this yest and we are taking the hunter safety course next week. I dated down to read the game digest and saw this......

The License to Carry Firearms permit only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to carry firearms that fall within this classification.

Now I used to carry while hunting all the time and was even checked a few times while out by game commission officers. No one ever said a word about it here in Berks county or in Tioga county. This was during small game, deer, and spring gobbler seasons.

So does this mean you can only ccw while archery or spot lighting or am I reading it wrong? If so when did this change?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Has PA Game Commission Changed the Law on CCW While Hunting?

With a LTCF you can carry a firearm (handgun) for self-defense during any season, including archery. In seasons where a firearm (handgun) would be legal to take or put down game, you would be able to do so with a revolver. Semi-auto handguns are not authorized to take or put down game, so they can only be used for self-defense.

With a LTCF, you can also carry for self-defense while legally spotlighting. It can be either a revolver or semi-auto handgun.

By “classification” they mean that which meets the definition of “firearm” as it pertains to license to carry. A regular rifle or shotgun would not meet this definition.

I think the law was changed in 2006.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; July 28th, 2018 at 08:12 PM.

(Berks County)

So in other words I'm reading it wrong? It just seems weird that they would word it that way? The way I take it is you could only carry with a permit during archery or spotlighting.

I wouldn't be using it for hunting I just always carry when I legally can. I'm just trying to interpret what the book says before I'm stopped in the woods and start problems.

Thanks I do agree with you. If it doesn't say you can't specifically I would think it would be ok.

(Luzerne County)

To carry a handgun during seasons where it would normally be prohibited to carry, such as archery or when spotlighting, need a LTCF. Without a LTCF, you could not carry.

Well, I should clarify. A LTCF allows a person to carry a firearm that meets the definition of “firearm”. That means ANY firearm. Short barreled rifles and shotguns fall into this category. The PGC likes to throw things out there like “sporting arms” or firearms “normally carried for self-defense”. The trouble is, there is no such definition or determination like that in the law.

So, the PGC likes to promote the idea that a person could not carry a short barreled rifle......for self-protection......while hunting.