Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carrying amunition accross state lnes

I know I've see this here before but I searched and can't seem to find it, so I guess I'll ask it again.

I'm traveling from Bucks County to Florida next week and I'll be transporting a substantial amount of ammunition. There won't be any weapons in the car. Is there anything I need to watch out for and are there any laws that prohibit me from transporting the ammo. I'm guessing there are around 2500 rounds total.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry about the Thread title. I've got this new keyboard and the keys need to be pressed real hard.
    Last edited by KenH; July 27th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Carrying amunition accross state lnes

I brought 18000 from VA once. I only worried about PEL for the CBBT.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

I drive to and from FL all the time...with several guns and a few 1000 rounds...never had an issue. I do keep the guns locked in cases and the ammo is banded with small ratchet straps to keep it together.

I also drove back from VA and picked up some ammo from one of my favorite vendors...no problems there either.

The trick, is not to get stopped. Regardless of what you say or don't say, you will look suspicious to a cop, if you tell them about the ammo. I also keep it in the back seat of my truck and have a padded movers blanket over my stuff so it can't be seen from any angle...and yes, I check.

(Jefferson County)

Stay out of Washington DC. The rest of the route between FL and Bucks Co FL should be reasonably okay(I'd avoid NJ too).

FL, GA, SC, NC, VA for sure you're okay.

Maryland may be "iffy" since they have a reputation of stopping out-of-staters that they discover have a carry license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I know that NJ doesn't allow hollow point ammo, but I won't be going there. How about other states' prohibition on types of ammo? Also, is there any part of the beltway that is actually in DC?

Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    I know that NJ doesn't allow hollow point ammo, but I won't be going there. How about other states' prohibition on types of ammo? Also, is there any part of the beltway that is actually in DC?

Thanks.
    If I read Google maps correctly, no, the beltway is in VA and MD.
    Personally I'd avoid Delaware also, and take Rt 15 through MD.
    No tolls that way

Stay out of Jersey and DC to avoid the biggest problems. If you want to cut Maryland short, you could head over to I-81, which hits Maryland for a little bit but then goes into WVA. That would probably be a significant detour from where you are coming from though and you would still be in Maryland for 20 minutes.

The beltway does not go through DC, just MD and VA.

Legally you would be fine, but if you get pulled over for some reason, and the cop decides to abuse his power and poke around your car, he could decide to screw you over "and let the courts sort it out." In which case we will be reading a headline about the crazy guy carrying enough "unlicensed" ammunition to start WWIII, or whatever nonsense headline they would write. And I suppose, if you have powder and primers in the car, you have "bomb making materials" too.

In short, if you avoid Jersey and DC you will be fine legally, but if you get the wrong cop in any state, you would be screwed. That would be true for a country drive in PA as well. Just be careful, make sure your lights and signals are all working, and stay close to the speed limit.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(York County)

While the beltway does not go through DC, be aware that the 295 shortcut does (the B-W Expressway). A map program may point you down that route if 495 is backed up.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    While the beltway does not go through DC, be aware that the 295 shortcut does (the B-W Expressway). A map program may point you down that route if 495 is backed up.

True, but this happens when you are going south on I-95 from Baltimore are are routed toward 495E (left lanes)
    Instead, as you approach 495 stay in the right 2 lanes and take 495 WEST, and remain on 495W.

It's actually a better route and will put you in Virginia sooner. Just watch for and take I-95 South toward
    Richmond (or whatever points south are listed on the signs).
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Throw a couple “Moms demand Action” and some other Pro-Gun Control bumper stickers on your car. You’ll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast