Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The provision that requires written notice to common carrier (18 USC 922 (e)) applies to "interstate or foreign commerce" shipments. The OP'S shipment is intrastate.
    Good point.

However, just because the origin and destination are in the same state does not mean the package will stay within the state between point A and point B. Would that make it interstate? I don't know, but I'm now curious.

Anyone with ESQ after their name wanna chime in?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    and the US Postal Service is a "No Go" for handguns
    Unless you are FFL. They use Priority mail, no problem.

(Delaware County)

All of this gave me idea, mail it to local gunsmith and picking up after gun was serviced. All of them told me NO!!! I called around and basically their concern is how do they know if I'm original sender and "not illegal buyer". And I said that make sense, let's run background check on me when I pick it up, I will pay $35 for it. They all said no to that.

I have send my Springfield XDs for trigger job to Springfield factory, they send me shipping label and Fedex picked it up at my house. They send it back to me directly, signature required.

So how about if I mail it to online gunsmith and he sends it back when he's done.

Do you know reputable online gunsmith?
    Thank you.

BTW Will not name names but 1 local shop told me "just put it in the trunk, unloaded and keep ammo separately" I mentioned interstate law and that would be BIG NO NO. He said "well that what i would have done". I said thank you for suggestion and your time, have a good day ))) BUT in my mind I was saying WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ))
    Last edited by Egres; July 27th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    All of this gave me idea, mail it to local gunsmith and picking up after gun was serviced. All of them told me NO!!! I called around and basically their concern is how do they know if I'm original sender and "not illegal buyer". And I said that make sense, let's run background check on me when I pick it up, I will pay $35 for it. They all said no to that.

I have send my Springfield XDs for trigger job to Springfield factory, they send me shipping label and Fedex picked it up at my house. They send it back to me directly, signature required.

So how about if I mail it to online gunsmith and he sends it back when he's done.

Do you know reputable online gunsmith?
    Thank you.

BTW Will not name names but 1 local shop told me "just put it in the trunk, unloaded and keep ammo separately" I mentioned interstate law and that would be BIG NO NO. He said "well that what i would have done". I said thank you for suggestion and your time, have a good day ))) BUT in my mind I was saying WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ))
    It sounds to me like you have your answer but don't want to do it for some reason.
    Take your gun to an FFL and have it shipped to an FFL near your home to pickup upon your return.
    Either that or just leave your gun at home.
    I find the premise of this thread somewhat questionable given your responses.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The provision that requires written notice to common carrier (18 USC 922 (e)) applies to "interstate or foreign commerce" shipments. The OP'S shipment is intrastate.
    NO it means anyone W/O an FFL cannot
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service
    May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

I read this thread and thought.... holy crap, really? Sit back and think how stupid is all of this. Jumping through all of these hoops just to carry protection? Insanity. Is this really America? This really does make it look like we need a Nationwide carry law to force those states to follow the constitution. Either that or a SCOTUS decision with some teeth.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    Traveling to Poconos for a week, after will be crossing border to communist republic of NJ.
    Thinking using UPS to mail my handgun home.
    So no sale, no state border being crossed... I don't see a problem, do you?

BTW Is there problem mailing loaded mag with that handgun?

I will take slide off when I mail.

Thank you gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    NO it means anyone W/O an FFL cannot
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service
    The question was whether the OP could ship a handgun between two points within Pa to himself - the obvious assumption is that he is not an FFL. Nonetheless 18 USC 922(e) common carrier written notice requirement does not apply to intrastate shipments (nor does it apply to any shipments to FFLs on the receiving end).
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 28th, 2018 at 10:08 AM.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Good point.

However, just because the origin and destination are in the same state does not mean the package will stay within the state between point A and point B. Would that make it interstate? I don't know, but I'm now curious.

Anyone with ESQ after their name wanna chime in?
    My interpretation of 18 USC 922(e)'s intent is to prevent interstate transfers between unlicensed persons which is a major tenet of the GCA '68. By mandating that all shipments to non-FFLs that are "interstate or foreign commerce" being declared in writing would, if followed, basically thwart many illegal transfers. Intrastate transfers are not included in te statute's scope because of Federal jurisdiction issues. It is true that "interstate", as defined in 18 USC 921, also would include those times when the route between two points within the same state traverse an intervening state.

Once shipped the originator has no control over the actual route that the common carrier might use to effect what he intends to be an a within state firearm relocation but in reading the statute, it seems to use the originator's intent, and not a third party's execution, as the determining factior.

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

In my opinion, the only purpose of this thread is to get opinions and ideas about shipping a firearm to someone without declaring it.
    The OP's grammar is foreign and I think he is suspect.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Reading OP, I hear Russian. And his handle, spelled backwards, is Serge. (As in Ser-Gay?)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast