Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Delaware County)

Question Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Traveling to Poconos for a week, after will be crossing border to communist republic of NJ.
    Thinking using UPS to mail my handgun home.
    So no sale, no state border being crossed... I don't see a problem, do you?

BTW Is there problem mailing loaded mag with that handgun?

I will take slide off when I mail.

Thank you gentlemen.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    Traveling to Poconos for a week, after will be crossing border to communist republic of NJ.
    Thinking using UPS to mail my handgun home.
    So no sale, no state border being crossed... I don't see a problem, do you?

BTW Is there problem mailing loaded mag with that handgun?

I will take slide off when I mail.

Thank you gentlemen.
    What does NJ have to do with the question?

ETA: Oh, nevermind. You want to take gun to Poconos with you, but can't take it to NJ where you are headed before returning to home in PA, and want to mail it home before going to NJ. I think.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Yes sir, I have to cross border for 2 days and then will head home. Thank you.

(Susquehanna County)

You could find a gun shop in the Poconos and have them clean it, or give it a check up, or appraise it.. then pick it up 2 says later.. just saying
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Delaware County)

lol I guess I could. But that would be a lot of miles on drive back home.
    I live around philly. Will drive 4 hours north to Poconos for week. Then head to NY airport through NJ. Will stay in NY for 2 days and then will drive to philly.
    So if I leave my gun in Poconos gun shop, it will be long drive to retrieve it.

(Chester County)

Under their individual tariffs, UPS and FedEX will NOT ship handguns unless an FFL is on at least one end of the transport.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    You could find a gun shop in the Poconos and have them clean it, or give it a check up, or appraise it.. then pick it up 2 says later.. just saying
    Much better plan than risking USPS stranding your gun at a sorting facility in NJ or MA and you have to go get it.

I've had to pick up the contents of a package at a sorting facility that "came open" during shipping. Thankfully is was in the same county, not another state.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Beaver County)

You need to find the guy on the forum about 6 months ago that wanted to open up a short term gun storage business for people that have your exact same dilema.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    Yes sir, I have to cross border for 2 days and then will head home. Thank you.
    This is how the Jim Crow laws used to work. They made it nearly impossible for many black American citizens to travel or otherwise exercise fundamental Constitutional rights.

You might want to send it to an FFL that you know in Philly. I knew of a guy who wanted to travel from PA to a western state for hunting. Instead of dealing with all the airline nonsense in transporting his perfectly legal shotgun. He shipped it to an FFL in the state where he was hunting, picked it up, hunted and did the same for his return trip. Probably involved some extra expense but worth the avoidance of the problem with dealing with the generally anti-2A airlines.
    Last edited by Wilderness 1864; July 26th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

Information Dump:
    I am very familiar with the shipping facilities at UPS and FEDEX because of previous management experience. In my time we had several guns break out of their packaging and fall onto conveyor belts and the floor, being handled and seen by dozens of employees. To my knowledge we never lost one outright, but they were always scratched or damaged in some manner. It is certainly possible we may have lost magazines, or gun parts if they were not attached to the gun.

In a few of those cases the sender had been deceptive and was shipping to private locations, not FFLs. This is against policy because shippers can be on the hook for legal technicalities and lawsuits. In cases when the sender lies by not disclosing it as a firearm, we cannot continue to ship it to its location once we discover what it is. So we hold the firearm in a locked room that only a few employees have access to, and we call the cops to come and take it. We give them the firearm and the shipping address label, and the cops deal with it from there. Presumably this is a bad experience for whomever is on the shipping label.

That is what happens if your packaging is damaged and the gun becomes visible or falls out, and is not being shipped to a FFL address.

If it is being shipped to an FFL address, there is still the possibility that it could be damaged, or even fall out of the packaging altogether. But as long as the firearm and its shipping label do not become separated, we can deliver it.

In addition there is the remote possibility that the firearm could find a way to walk out of the building in someone's lunch box.

If your package winds up crossing into Jersey or new york because of a mis-sort, or if the driver's route has him hauling that way, and it somehow breaks out of its packaging in one of those states, then all bets are off. My guess is you go to Guantanamo.

UPS and FEDEX have something like a 99.98% success rate, but most facilities are handling 20,000+ packages per hour, which means at least two or three packages are being damaged/lost/destroyed/stolen per hour. Nobody wants that, but it is reality.

If the packaging is not damaged and nothing arouses suspicion, I suppose it would arrive at your house and sit on the porch until you get home and pick it up.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast