Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Information Dump:
    I am very familiar with the shipping facilities at UPS and FEDEX because of previous management experience. In my time we had several guns break out of their packaging and fall onto conveyor belts and the floor, being handled and seen by dozens of employees. To my knowledge we never lost one outright, but they were always scratched or damaged in some manner. It is certainly possible we may have lost magazines, or gun parts if they were not attached to the gun.

In a few of those cases the sender had been deceptive and was shipping to private locations, not FFLs. This is against policy because shippers can be on the hook for legal technicalities and lawsuits. In cases when the sender lies by not disclosing it as a firearm, we cannot continue to ship it to its location once we discover what it is. So we hold the firearm in a locked room that only a few employees have access to, and we call the cops to come and take it. We give them the firearm and the shipping address label, and the cops deal with it from there. Presumably this is a bad experience for whomever is on the shipping label.

That is what happens if your packaging is damaged and the gun becomes visible or falls out, and is not being shipped to a FFL address.

If it is being shipped to an FFL address, there is still the possibility that it could be damaged, or even fall out of the packaging altogether. But as long as the firearm and its shipping label do not become separated, we can deliver it.

In addition there is the remote possibility that the firearm could find a way to walk out of the building in someone's lunch box.

If your package winds up crossing into Jersey or new york because of a mis-sort, or if the driver's route has him hauling that way, and it somehow breaks out of its packaging in one of those states, then all bets are off. My guess is you go to Guantanamo.

UPS and FEDEX have something like a 99.98% success rate, but most facilities are handling 20,000+ packages per hour, which means at least two or three packages are being damaged/lost/destroyed/stolen per hour. Nobody wants that, but it is reality.

If the packaging is not damaged and nothing arouses suspicion, I suppose it would arrive at your house and sit on the porch until you get home and pick it up.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    You could find a gun shop in the Poconos and have them clean it, or give it a check up, or appraise it.. then pick it up 2 says later.. just saying
    Much better plan than risking USPS stranding your gun at a sorting facility in NJ or MA and you have to go get it.

I've had to pick up the contents of a package at a sorting facility that "came open" during shipping. Thankfully is was in the same county, not another state.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Beaver County)

You need to find the guy on the forum about 6 months ago that wanted to open up a short term gun storage business for people that have your exact same dilema.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

If I remember correctly.. and I don't like either.. Dick's and Gander offer this service.. they will ship it from one store to another for a small fee.. primarily for hunters travelling around the USA.. but what difference does it make if it goes from PA to WY or PA to PA??? might want to ask

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    You need to find the guy on the forum about 6 months ago that wanted to open up a short term gun storage business for people that have your exact same dilema.
    I know I brought this up.. living right close to the NY border.. So PA residents could pop in, store their firearm, go into NY shopping, then upon return retrieve it.
    You ask why? Well I live in VERY Rural PA and NY Shopping in Vestal NY is 15 minutes. PA Shopping would be Scranton/Wilkes-Barre some 70 miles away.

Side note.. while planning a motorcycle adventure through New England and into Nova Scotia (CANADA) I was trying to figure out how the do it. I contacted the Chief of Police at the Maine border town. One of his officers has a temp firearm storage locker set up in the local true value for just this reason. Yes I will have to back track to retrieve it, but find that better than not having Freedom with me.
    Last edited by Parrisk; July 26th, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    Information Dump:
    If it is being shipped to an FFL address, there is still the possibility that it could be damaged, or even fall out of the packaging altogether. But as long as the firearm and its shipping label do not become separated, we can deliver it.

If your package winds up crossing into Jersey or new york because of a mis-sort, ..... then all bets are off. My guess is you go to Guantanamo.
    Thank you sir, good info. Guantanamo,,,, that's not bad,,, I thought they will take me out in back yard and shoot me like in good old communism.

What about I send it to my FFL but do not tell UPS that's gun? No law broken, right?
    I will be sending it in gun case, and I could tightly wrap with fabric and tape so if falls out, visually it will not look like gun case.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Dick's and Gander offer this service.. they will ship it from one store to another for a small fee..
    Will look into that.

Dick's and Gander helping a gun owner? Is that a joke?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Centre County)

I would take it to a FFL in the Poconos area to have them clean it for you (this would fall under gunsmithing). Once done, the FFL (gunsmith) can ship it directly to your home address via FedEx or UPS. Perfectly legal to have a gunsmith ship a firearm back to the owner after having work done to it.

"What about I send it to my FFL but do not tell UPS that's gun? No law broken, right? " No law broken except UPS regulations and if it came up missing, you could not put a claim in for it. Well you could, but UPS will deny it because you didn't follow their regs. If you want to do it that way, get a copy of your FFLs license to prove to UPS that it is going to a FFL. Then you can insure it and if something happens you have done everything the way UPS wants it done.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; July 26th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Why not cut the trip to New Jersey out. If it's that much trouble is it really worth going to a state that does not honor the US Constitution??????? If you spend money there you will be directly contributing to a source that seeks disarm you even as a PA and US citizen.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    Thank you sir, good info. Guantanamo,,,, that's not bad,,, I thought they will take me out in back yard and shoot me like in good old communism.

What about I send it to my FFL but do not tell UPS that's gun? No law broken, right?
    I will be sending it in gun case, and I could tightly wrap with fabric and tape so if falls out, visually it will not look like gun case.
    There is no advantage to doing that. If you are going to send to a FFL, then just tell them what it is. Typically if they know what it is they will put it through a few extra processes and handle it separately from the ordinary packages, making it more secure and less likely to get damaged, mis-sorted, etc... These are called "high value" packages. High values are usually guns, jewellry, and stuff like that
    Sic semper tyrannis

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast