Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    I probably could, but how do I get my gun back? I will not be driving from NY to Poconos. That's would increase my trip by 4 to 5 hours and I have to be back home next day.
    If I drive from NY to Phillly. And the to Poconos and back to get my gun, that's 8 hours of driving on top.
    Yep, I forgot the original problem, that you didn't want to return the same way. Sorry. For $150, I'd leave my gun home. It's the Poconos. Not Chicago.

(Delaware County)

True, I asked if it was legal or not. Plan was to mail my gun to myself in same state. Sounds simple and not illegal. Not declaring sounds like breaking policy but it turns out it might brake law because gun might leave state. Didn't you read all of that?

You sound like liberal who think that criminals will follow this nonelectrical law. If I was one of them I would not even ask and just mail it.

(Montgomery County)

True, I asked if it was legal or not. Plan was to mail my gun to myself in same state. Sounds simple and not illegal. Not declaring sounds like breaking policy but it turns out it might brake law because gun might leave state. Didn't you read all of that?

You sound like liberal who think that criminals will follow this nonelectrical law. If I was one of them I would not even ask and just mail it.
    Yes, I read the thread.
    And yes you got me, I'm a Liberal, sure.
    And yes, we see people come on here all the time asking shady questions about how to skirt the gun laws.
    Your original premise has that kind of feel to it.
    Frankly, I don't care for helping Islamists figure out how to outmaneuver the gun laws and plan the next 9/11.
    If your questions are legitimate then great, but the thread reads otherwise.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Yes, I read the thread.
    And yes you got me, I'm a Liberal, sure.
    And yes, we see people come on here all the time asking shady questions about how to skirt the gun laws.
    Your original premise has that kind of feel to it.
    Frankly, I don't care for helping Islamists figure out how to outmaneuver the gun laws and plan the next 9/11.
    If your questions are legitimate then great, but the thread reads otherwise.
    Everyday people might do innocent things that could land them in jail. That’s why we have forum to ask questions about tasks that sound innocent but might get you in trouble.

• Dropping child off at school.
    • Going to post office.
    • Using bathroom in the park.
    • Going to private, antigun business.
    • Pulling car over on the way to the range.
    • Crossing state lines that not even marked, like damn Delaware state.
    • Printing handgun in antigun places like Philly.
    • Breaking down or getting in accident on the way to range.
    • Leaving gun in car safe for even a minute if your wife doesn’t have ccw.
    • OC’ing
    • Forgetting loose brass or hollow 22lr. under car seat.
    • Leaving unloaded “evil” magazine in glove compartment.
    • Being accused by shady liberal that you pointed gun at him just because of disagreement on the road.
    • Going to courthouse.
    • Teaching your child how to handle firearm.
    • Posting pictures of your child with rifle on internet.
    • Lending your handgun to bud on firing lane.
    • Selling your reloaded ammo.
    • Selling your long gun without FFL, if later it turns out person is prohibited .
    • Discharging firearm on your property with safe backstop.
    • Buying gun as a gift for the family member, your bud or girl.
    • Making mistake on background form.
    • Defending yourself after telling some psycho who is screaming profanities at your family to F-himself.
    • Slapping ar pistol upper on rifle lower.
    • Rifle malfunctioning and instead of one round sending 2.
    • Using gun with cool name like “Raptor” to defend yourself.
    • Defending yourself with gun that had trigger lightened or take-up adjusted.
    • Having sticker on your truck like “I don’t call 911”
    • Not having brain power not to pick up your firearm from Communist airport due to airline mix-up.
    • Forgetting brass while going thought airport security.

And hundreds of thousand other innocent things like that could land you in jail. So asking about simple things is not “shady”. I think most people understood what I was trying to do and sympathized even some might thought “just leave gun home”.

But I tell you, my handgun been with me since 2006. After I had to give good clean to my trusty M9 and give it to armory. I had to get new one and he’s my friend since then. He needs vacation too. Like shooting at Poconos outdoor range. Because what kind of vacations it would be without smell of gunpowder.

(Lackawanna County)

Millions of firearms in our country, and it is the most complicated personally owned property to own and transport. Shouldn't be this way. Too many stupid laws that do nothing to stop actual crime, but do confound legal owners. It's a legal web designed to trip you up and violate the law.

(Montgomery County)

Everyday people might do innocent things that could land them in jail. That’s why we have forum to ask questions about tasks that sound innocent but might get you in trouble.

• Dropping child off at school.
    • Going to post office.
    • Using bathroom in the park.
    • Going to private, antigun business.
    • Pulling car over on the way to the range.
    • Crossing state lines that not even marked, like damn Delaware state.
    • Printing handgun in antigun places like Philly.
    • Breaking down or getting in accident on the way to range.
    • Leaving gun in car safe for even a minute if your wife doesn’t have ccw.
    • OC’ing
    • Forgetting loose brass or hollow 22lr. under car seat.
    • Leaving unloaded “evil” magazine in glove compartment.
    • Being accused by shady liberal that you pointed gun at him just because of disagreement on the road.
    • Going to courthouse.
    • Teaching your child how to handle firearm.
    • Posting pictures of your child with rifle on internet.
    • Lending your handgun to bud on firing lane.
    • Selling your reloaded ammo.
    • Selling your long gun without FFL, if later it turns out person is prohibited .
    • Discharging firearm on your property with safe backstop.
    • Buying gun as a gift for the family member, your bud or girl.
    • Making mistake on background form.
    • Defending yourself after telling some psycho who is screaming profanities at your family to F-himself.
    • Slapping ar pistol upper on rifle lower.
    • Rifle malfunctioning and instead of one round sending 2.
    • Using gun with cool name like “Raptor” to defend yourself.
    • Defending yourself with gun that had trigger lightened or take-up adjusted.
    • Having sticker on your truck like “I don’t call 911”
    • Not having brain power not to pick up your firearm from Communist airport due to airline mix-up.
    • Forgetting brass while going thought airport security.

And hundreds of thousand other innocent things like that could land you in jail. So asking about simple things is not “shady”. I think most people understood what I was trying to do and sympathized even some might thought “just leave gun home”.

But I tell you, my handgun been with me since 2006. After I had to give good clean to my trusty M9 and give it to armory. I had to get new one and he’s my friend since then. He needs vacation too. Like shooting at Poconos outdoor range. Because what kind of vacations it would be without smell of gunpowder.
    Figuring out how to sneak a firearm into a common carrier's package delivery stream without their knowledge does not jive with your list.

(Washington County)

I talked to some FFLs in Poconos and 1 gunsmith. He will clean firearm, check sights and will ship USPS to my FFL same day. That way he will not have to book it to his journal.
    But I will have to pay my FFL for the check. So sound like it all will cost me about $150.

Regarding Russian, I'm more American then half of this country and done more for USA then some on this forum.

If you have other suggestions please let me know.

Will try to update how things went after the trip.

Here's AFT regarding gunsmith: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths
    Just a minor correction to your post: Because your gunsmith is not returning the firearm to you and is in fact shipping it to another FFL who has to log it into their A&D book upon receiving it, he has to log it into his A&D book before shipping. Not that this matters to your end game, just want to correct this misinformation. From your ATF link:

"If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record."
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Figuring out how to sneak a firearm into a common carrier's package delivery stream without their knowledge does not jive with your list.
    Yes it does, it's in my first post: Sending your gun to youself within your state. Second question was: would I be breaking policy or law. As soon as I found out it might break law, I took it off as option.

I don't really care for policy and had no intention on breaking law. And if you honest enough, you would acknowledged that I was trying to do right thing by law.

(Montgomery County)

Yes it does, it's in my first post: Sending your gun to youself within your state. Second question was: would I be breaking policy or law. As soon as I found out it might break law, I took it off as option.

I don't really care for policy and had no intention on breaking law. And if you honest enough, you would acknowledged that I was trying to do right thing by law.
    I don't know what you were trying to do.
    If you were trying to do something legitimate then great.
    Most of the guys here try to keep people looking for information within the law.
    This thread felt wrong to me and I said so, as should anyone here who's radar goes up.

(Delaware County)

UPDATE: So I went on Poconos vacation with my handgun, very glad I brought it. Made me more at ease, no regrets. Short story, everything worked out OK.

Long story:
    I had to call around and finally found Poconos Mountain Firearms on the border of PA and NJ, so I could part with my handgun as late as possible.
    Michael, the owner said that he is willing to send my handgun to my FFL for $25. That's was awesome. Given, I had to do background check when picking up at my FFL ($30)

To show my appreciation I purchased M&P 380 shield EZ for my lady even thought I overpaid $50 over internet price. Plus since Michael mentioned he is gunsmith I asked to fancy clean my gun and repaint my sights. That came out to $50 cash. So when left his shop I felt good.

About week after I came home from vacation I called Michael to see if he send it out. He said that he's little busy and I said no problem.

Week later, another call, he said that his coworker who's name I forgot now had I stroke, I said very sorry to hear that and that I understand about wait.

Over another week and half, called and spoke to employee who had stroke and he said he's feeling better. And that they will send my 2 handguns soon.

Week later received call from FFL to pick-up, was relieved because you know how human mind works. Mind always thinks the worst, that I lost my sentimental handgun and not getting my girl new handgun.

Picked up, laughed with FFL that he is running background on me to pick up something I already own.
    (my check always takes from 10 min to 3 hours to clear, this time was about 10 min) Run check on my girl.

I look at my gun and it was superficially cleaned, and no painted sights.
    So I paid:
    $25 for shipping 2 handguns
    $25 for cleaning
    $25 for sights
    $50 for overpaying for new handgun
    $30 to my FFL to pickup my handgun.
    $155 in total and over month of wait while considering that I will never see my handgun again.

Like I said, I think it was worth all $ and trouble to have my "friend" with me while traveling.

I did not call Michael to complain but might leave neg. rep on his yelp page.
    Last edited by Egres; January 21st, 2019 at 08:43 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456