Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Sending handgun to myself in same state. (PA) Illegal?

Put a handgun in a shooting range (personnel of which hold FFL) on consignment, go to get it back, you'll have to do it thru PICS inquiry.

Seems that a temporary storage situation would require the same manner of retrieval via an FFL transaction.

it's not NJ that's his problem, it's NY.
    as long as he's complying with NJ transport laws, he's good in NJ, especially since he's not stopping overnight. NY is his destination for 2 days, before returning to philly.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    as long as he's complying with NJ transport laws, he's good in NJ, especially since he's not stopping overnight. NY is his destination for 2 days, before returning to philly.
    Actually both would be a problem. He needs to be legal to possess in both his origin and destination in order to qualify for FOPA protection on any part of the trip.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    The NJ transport laws (methodology) only apply when one is engaged in four (4) specific activities which the OP does not qualify for (ref NJSA 2C:39-6 (g)).
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

Don't forget re: your "loaded mags" question... ammunition is considered hazardous material and has to ship by ground.

(Berks County)

Looks like leaving it with a PA FFL is your best bet. Going back to get it is better than it not showing up by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Why not cut the trip to New Jersey out. If it's that much trouble is it really worth going to a state that does not honor the US Constitution??????? If you spend money there you will be directly contributing to a source that seeks disarm you even as a PA and US citizen.
    Jennifer,

That too is my rule of thumb. Sometimes it is just not possible or practicable so I just have to suck it up. Hate that, but I will. So I do little things when commitments force me into gun free states and zones. If I have to stop to eat, I wait until I am back in PA and let PA businesses get the money and our State the sales tax. I will buy gas in NJ. I rationalize that as a punishment to our Legislature that has fastened the Nation's highest gas prices (due solely to taxes) on us -- and our roads are among the worst. (I think the money is going to something else). Recently I had to drive to a midwest destination. Going through Canada was actually the shortest route. Would not do it. Did not tell associates why. They thought I was nuts. Canada is a freaking gun free Nation -- damned if I was going to go there. I am glad that my days of European travel are over. Will never go back to any of those rising Communist and Sharia compliant nations (all of which are gun free nations).

(Bucks County)

A reminder-
    The law requires that when you ship a handgun via contract carrier (ups, fedex, etc.) you must inform the carrier that a handgun is the item being shipped.

A couple members here have left guns with me while traveling through N.Y. or N.J.
    I log them into my gunsmith book, clean them and they pick them on the return leg of their trip.
    No pics check needed as they were dropped off for maintenance, not consignment.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Delaware County)

If you ship the firearm via Fed Ex. prepare to pay about $70 for the required overnight shipping including a few bucks for the insurance. This morning I shipped a pf9 back to KelTec, fronted the money, and Kel Tec will reimburse me upon mailing receipt.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    A reminder-
    The law requires that when you ship a handgun via contract carrier (ups, fedex, etc.) you must inform the carrier that a handgun is the item being shipped.

A couple members here have left guns with me while traveling through N.Y. or N.J.
    I log them into my gunsmith book, clean them and they pick them on the return leg of their trip.
    No pics check needed as they were dropped off for maintenance, not consignment.
    The provision that requires written notice to common carrier (18 USC 922 (e)) applies to "interstate or foreign commerce" shipments. The OP'S shipment is intrastate.
    IANAL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast