Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Colt Three Five Seven, Pre-Python

Somewhat recently, I acquired a Colt model 357 revolver. The serial is in the 4000's and dates to 1954. Information on these revolvers can be found here http://www.coltfever.com/site/mobile...odel.html#2769

From what I can tell, all the internals are identical to that of a Python. Only the barrel differs, missing the underlug and vent rib. Also, there may be a higher degree of hand fitting on the Pythons.

The one unfortunate thing is that some past owner must have been monkeying with the action, because the hammer can push off. You may be unfamiliar with push off in revolvers. This means the hammer, when cocked to single action, can be released by applying forward pressure on the spur.

My dilemma is what to do about it. I could always bob the hammer and make the revolver DAO, but that seems like a desecration for a 60+ year old Colt. I could buy a Python hammer to replace the offending part, but it may need fitted, or it may have already been fitted to another gun. They seem to go about $200 on GB, which is manageable. I could always just leave it, and be sure not to cock the hammer when shooting. That is obviously not the safest alternative. Finally, I could call Colt and see if they have the parts and if they will do the repair work. This is sure to be the most expensive option, and I never like to send a firearm away for work.

Well, that's my burden. Opinions on what to do, or just chatting about these guns in general, are both welcome. Pictures to follow, probably this evening.
    Last edited by marinville; July 25th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Old Colt Revolver, Pre-Python

There's a coincidence, I have one also from 54 that was my first revolver. I agree its as smooth as the Python, just not quite as 'pretty'

If its in reasonably good shape otherwise I'd vote for having it repaired, preferabley at Colt if they'll do it although I thought I read sometime back they stopped working on them but I could be making that up. If not Colt I'm sure the group over at the Colt forums could recommend someone. As they say that ain't making no more... literally. In my mind when you purchase something of that nature, your not just getting it for the utilitarian value, its a piece of history and worth preserving.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Philadelphia County)

I haven’t been on the colt forum in a while but when I was active the members recommended a gunsmith named frank Glenn in Arizona. My python needs a little work but I am too cheap to pay the shipping
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Centre County)

As of several years ago Colt still worked on their revolvers because I had a first year Diamondback repaired by them. A call to Colt will tell you if they will fix it. They did a lot of work on the one I had and it only cost $100 and change.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Elk County)

That would be a "Colt 357 Magnum" which very quickly was renamed the Colt Trooper 357 Magnum (first
    model). The grips should be just like Python grips but fully checkered.

There are enough pistolsmiths around that can repair your revolver with existing parts, by recutting the sear engagement surfaces. Sure, the case hardening may be thin, but you won't be firing 2000 rounds through it either.

Also, do check with Colt as Xringshooter suggested as they may still repair these classic revolvers.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Pictures, as promised:

(Lackawanna County)

That's a great looking revolver. I have the Colt Trooper 357 Magnum mentioned by Noah and I love it. Mine just has black plastic grips though. I'd love a set of the real wooden ones. Nice find!

(Elk County)

Marin, those grips are like three-digit-dollar unobtanium unicorn fecal matter. Be careful not to damage.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Colt Three Five Seven, Pre-Python

I called Colt today and had a very brief conversation with a not entirely courteous employee who sounded 18 and told me to suck a lemon. Actually he told me to try some shop in Montana, but there was a hint of HK in his inflection. You know: "because you suck and we hate you." So anyway, there it is. Colt will not service the revolver.
    Last edited by marinville; July 26th, 2018 at 06:27 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That would be a "Colt 357 Magnum" which very quickly was renamed the Colt Trooper 357 Magnum (first
    model). The grips should be just like Python grips but fully checkered.

There are enough pistolsmiths around that can repair your revolver with existing parts, by recutting the sear engagement surfaces. Sure, the case hardening may be thin, but you won't be firing 2000 rounds through it either.

Also, do check with Colt as Xringshooter suggested as they may still repair these classic revolvers.

Noah
    I was thinking trooper. I have heard it reffered to as a poor man's python. I have a trooper
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast